What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 - Dragons Starting 17

boxa777

Coach
Thought I'd have a go at what Bennett will do in terms of the starting team for 2009.

Looking at Bennett's teams of the past, he likes a fullback that has a bit of five-eight in him. Hence, Hornby getting the nod over Morris or Nightingale. This means Head plays .. for now.

I think Young should start. What he currently lacks in ability and confidence with his injuries, he makes up for with his attitude. Also, I don't think he would add much off the bench whereas Costigan's impact off the bench would be better served.

With the bench I think Bennett would like some impact. Fepuleai needs to start playing some minutes as Priddis is not an 80 minute player anymore. Chase Stanley needs a spot in the 17 because he is in our 17 best players. When he comes on he can play some centre as Darius pushes to the wing and Sailor pushes in tighter. Or play in the forwards on the fringes.

Creagh maybe asked to play a little tighter for parts of the game but 60 minutes expected off both the starting props. As you can see I am not a Weyman fan. His in one week, out the other routine would be too disruptive.

Unlucky to miss out are Morris, Scott, Saffy and Thorby. I would also look closely at the young prop Merrin to get a debut.

Great depth this year. Still need something at 9 or 7 for 2010 to be really formiddable.

1. Ben Hornby
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Darius Boyd
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Matt Head

13. Dean Young
12. Ben Creagh (c)
11. Jeremy Smith
10. Dan Hunt
9. Luke Priddis
8. Justin Poore

14. Daniel Fepuleai
15. Chase Stanley
16. Matt Prior
17. Neville Costigan

What do you think?

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
Yeah Horse Weyman will be in the mix fo sho.
Looking at Bennett's teams of the past, he likes a fullback that has a bit of five-eight in him.
I think most coaches do - just a case of finding the best man for the job though really. i.e. Florence

SaintScotty

Juniors
You need another prop off the bench.

Daniel Fepuleai and Chase Stanley to not make the17 in my opinion.

Not sure about Wendell in our top 17 either. I would have Boyd on the wing and Bring Brett Morris into centre.

Either Weyman, Thorby or Saffy to make up the other two bench spots. I like Thorby to get a run.

Not sure who would go to hooker when Priddis comes off but possibly Hornby to play hooker in attack and fullback in defence in that situation???? Probably not the best idea though.

Dragonwest

Juniors
1. Hornby
2. Nightingale
3. Boyd
4. Cooper
5. Sailor
6. Soward
7. Head

13. Young (c)
12. Scott
11. Smith
10. Creagh
9. Priddis
8. Poore

14. Fepuleai
15. Hunt
16. Weyman
17. Costigan

I put Scott in the starting team for his hard hitting and power running, costigan more suited to the bench impact player. Scott has been great for us aslong as he isnt passed the ball at the line when his hands let him down.

boxa777

Coach
I think most coaches do - just a case of finding the best man for the job though really. i.e. Florence

You really think Florence would be a natural ball player in a backline movement as a fullback? I doubt that. He is too stop start to be a natural ball player I think..

Weyman would probably be there but I went with Matt Prior to play prop and Creagh to spend a little time there also.

Hard to leave Scott out as well but you can't pick them all. It's Chase's third year, he has something. Hopefully we will see it before its too late for him.

watatank

Coach
Nightingale is a quality ball player and was brilliant at fullback acting as that link man and support player, he was one of the reasons our attack was so good towards the back end of the season.

I really can't see Fepuleai playing much at all unless Priddis gets injured. It's a wasted interchange when we have players who can fill in. Priddis will play most of the match at hooker and then Young or Costigan will fill in at times in the match.

saint-colesy

Juniors
I'd go with this
1. Hornby
2. Nightingale
3. Boyd
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Soward
7. Head
8. Poore
9. Priddis
10. Hunt
11. Smith
12. Creagh
13. Young

14. Weyman
15. Costigan
16. Thorby
17. Stanley

Jasdragon

Juniors
1. Morris
2. Nightingale
3. Boyd
4. Cooper
5. Sailor
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Poore
9. Priddis
10. Hunt
11. Smith
12. Creagh
13. Young

14. Prior
15. Costigan
16. Thorby
17. Scott

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
1.brett morris
2.nightingale
3.boyd
4.cooper
5.morris
6.soward
7.head
8.poore
9.priddis
10.hunt
11.smith
12.creagh
13.young
14.prior
15.costigan
16.sailor
17.fepulaeui

we cant waste brett morris for sailor, gut feeling that he will put hornby at fullback for ball playing,young is a class player he needs to start, costigan would be a good impact player and prior is the dragons future he is a great player

merrin,marketo to make there debuts this year and possibly beau henry wat do u think

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
I'd go with this
1. Hornby
2. Nightingale
3. Boyd
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Soward
7. Head
8. Poore
9. Priddis
10. smith
11. costigan
12. Creagh
13. Young

14. Weyman
15. Hunt
16. Thorby
17. Stanley

watatank

Coach
It's pointless trying to predict a team for next year with such a long off season...but here's what I would run with...depending on how Matt Head's off season goes.

1. Jason Nightingale
2. Brett Morris
3. Darius Boyd
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby
8. Justin Poore
9. Luke Priddis
10. Ben Creagh
11. Neville Costigan
12. Jeremy Smith
13. Dean Young

14. Matt Head
15. Beau Scott
16. Dan Hunt
17. Matt Prior

We should start with our best defensive and well solid backline, to play what is essentially percentage football but they still have the ability to put points on themselves. When the game opens up a bit more you bring on Head to play halfback, move Hornby to fullback, Nightingale to the wing, bringing Sailor off for the time being. This would be our best attacking lineup by far. Later on in the game you bring Sailor as an impact player into the pack.

As for the pack, unless another good prop emerges Creagh must be converted into one. We already have a quality back row so I don't think he would be a huge loss to fill a hole we really need to fill. He made his name by running up the middle of the ruck and although he is probably more damaging off the fringes he can play that role in Origin or something. We need him there. I rate Weyman, but he can work his way through NSW Cup with consistent performances first. There are others who could work their way into calculations and I think even Merrin has a chance but that's what I want to see, for the time being.

Chase Stanley is a notable omission for mine. I think he could take Beau Scott's bench position and eventually work his way into the starting lineup but I feel he needs an extended run in the back row before he can do this.

brendothejet

First Grade
reading these ideas for squads makes you think how good a side we have nxt year...

i keep forgetting about BOyd, Sailor, Smith, Weyman and a few others. So used to having a bits and pieces team...

1. Jason Nightingale
2. Wendell Sailor
3. Darius Boyd
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Morris
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby
8. Justin Poore
9. Luke Priddis
10. Ben Creagh
11. Neville Costigan
12. Jeremy Smith
13. Dean Young

14. Chase Stanley
15. Beau Scott
16. Michael Weyman
17. Matt Prior

Ricky Thorby, Michey Paea, Jarrod Saffy and Alex Ranieri.
Those additional 4 also would have to come into contention from the bench as front runners.

The listed side has a delicate mix of old and new in key positions, little tweakings may occur
eg. Nightingale, Boyd and Hornby may switch and surprise us.
M. Head ??
Who knows..

All in all i'd be content with that.

#uck i'm jumping out of my skin........

Dragons, Grand final contender for 2009..

Last edited:

Cagey Mac

Bench
Jason Nightingale
2. Brett Morris
3. Darius Boyd
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby
8. Justin Poore
9. Luke Priddis
10. Ben Creagh
11. Neville Costigan
12. Jeremy Smith
13. Dean Young

14. Matt Head
15. Beau Scott
16. Dan Hunt
17. Matt Prior

I'm happy enough with Watatank's team
Though I would perhaps opt to drop Matt Head, move Costigan to the bench and leave Creagh in the 2nd Row. I would then consider starting Weyman if his fitness levels have improved or maybe start with Hunt and use Weyman and Costigan in concert as impact players

Gaba

First Grade
you can be assured nightingale will not be fullback , Boyd maybe morris are more chance

Dont be surprise to see hornby and morris come off the bench , weyman will be in the top 17 with the rest of the new buys for the dragons

emment may be a longshot in the centres

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
Nightingale is just as much chance as everyone else. You also forgot that if Matt Head is halfback Hornby will almost certainly be fullback, just to throw another spanner in the works.

saint-colesy

Juniors
Someone is going to be missing out each week out of. Morris, Wendell, Head and Hornby. Depending on who plays where, of course.