What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 - Dragons Starting 17

SuperSoward

Juniors
1. Hornby
2. Morris
3. Boyd
4. Cooper
5. Sailor
6. Henry
7. Head
8. Poore
9. Priddis
10. Merrin
11. Cregh
12. Scott
13. Young
14. Fepulaeui
15. Costigan
16. Smith
17. Hunt

progress.gif

Yea ummm.. Ya left out Sowie

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dragon Soward sets sights on 2009 season

BY MICHAEL CARAYANNIS
2/01/2009 4:00:00 AM

422724.jpg

Moving on: Jamie Soward hopes he can build on last season, despite being overlooked for the Dragons' last match. Picture: Chris Lane

JAMIE Soward has moved on, even though the disappointment of missing a place in the Dragons' semi-final team, which lost against Manly last season, still bubbles away.

Soward reflected on 2008 with mixed emotions. ``It was pretty well documented that I didn't finish the season the way I wanted to, but that's just football,'' Soward, 24, said.

``It was pretty frustrating knowing the boys worked hard all year and we worked as a unit all year to go out in that first week, when we could have finished a little higher.

``We lost five or six games by less than six points ... but in saying that, it happened last year and this is this year.''

Soward's 19 games were the most he had played in a first-grade season since making his debut in 2005.

He signed a two-year contract extension and was voted by Dragons' members as the Red-V player of the year.

But his up-and-down career continued when he was
dropped after the club won just one of its first five games.

His back injury opened the way for mid-season recruit Ben Rogers to claim his vacant spot as the Dragons pushed towards a finals berth.

While former coach Nathan Brown overlooked him for the semi, Soward sees his transformation from half-back to five-eighth as one of the biggest positives to come out of 2008.

It gave the former Sydney Rooster an opportunity to really enjoy his football.

``I used to think I was a half-back but I'm probably not ready for that role at the moment,'' Soward said. ``I like the six as it gives me a bit more space to run around and use my pace. Seven runs the team around a little bit more and has to be talking to his forwards and marching them around the park, whereas the five-eighth does more talking to the backs.''

Soward will battle for a starting spot in new coach Wayne Bennet's side, alongside returning half Mat Head and, of course, team captain Ben Hornby, who is equally at home in the No. 1 jumper.

Hornby underwent off-season surgery to repair ligaments in his left shoulder and was expected to resume training in the new year but might be a late ``starter''.

``Me and Heady get on well,'' Soward said. ``With Ben Hornby out at the moment it's sort of been me and Heady working together.

``We have a laugh in the gym and work hard together. I'm enjoying his company and am hopefully looking to playing alongside him.''

http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/ne...oward-sets-sights-on-2009-season/1394074.aspx

grandorient

Bench
H'mm

Choices, choices, choices.

It seems that after 5 pages of posts, very few spots are definite.

Front row - Hunt(more than likely), Priddis and Poore
Second row - Smith and Creagh
Lock - Young
5/8 Soward
Centres - Cooper and Boyd.

All the others are up for grabs, what a great way to be. If the Saints die-hards on this forum can't agree, then what a great season we will be looking towards.

It is a little funny though, the forwards for the starting pack have basically fallen in to place, with a mad scramble for the bench spots.

The backs on the other hand are very much undecided, although popular opinion points to Horny being there somewhere. Morris, Wendell, Head and Nightingale are great players who would play first grade in any club and then there is Chase Stanley.

O'h well decisions decisions for Master Wayne and company; as long as he is allowed to run his own race.

GO

watatank

Coach
It's not even that settled, either. Boyd's not even a certainty for the centres (although he will start somewhere) and neither is Young for lock. Hunt is another whose position is going to go under intense scrutiny during the off season.

Gaba

First Grade
I still think Morris) could be starting on the bench and interchanging with fullback and wing positions.

I dont think Morris will be in the starting team

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
great position the dragons are in, its been a while since we have been in this position.
Go Dragons

watatank

Coach
I still think Morris) could be starting on the bench and interchanging with fullback and wing positions.

I dont think Morris will be in the starting team

If Morris isn't starting he won't make the 17. The 17 will have enough versatility without him.

Godz Illa

Coach
Nice article by MC there, and one a lot of worried Saints fans have been desperate to read. Great to see Sowie's head is in a good space after the skull-buggery Brownie performed on him late last year. Before his back injury he was probably our most important player, up among the Dally M leaders (finished in the top ten) and in sh*t-hot form, and I know I was worried that his confidence may have been shattered irreparably by the coach's failure to re-instate him after the injury. Thankfully that doesn't appear to be the case - should be one of the first picked in St Benny's team.

petetheileet

First Grade
Soward
Poore
Cooper
Smith

to me are the only guys who should be certainties for their position...the entire rest of the squad and positions i think is up for debate

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Having watched Bennett for a long time, I remain convinced D. Young will be your benchie. Benny loves a versitile on the bench.

Stagg style.

Costigan, Creagh 2nd Row
Smith Lock

D. Young, bench backing up for hooker, back rowers and 5/8.

Time will tell, but I cannot see him starting with everyone fit.

watatank

Coach
Perhaps, but you've also got Beau Scott and Chase Stanley to fill that role, as well. They can't play in the halves, though but we have enough flexibility in the team. There's also the option of playing Hornby or Head off the bench which would also make the team quite versatile.

boxa777

Coach
I think Young is better suited to starting. You need impact off the bench and a Costigan, Scott or Stanley would work better off the bench. Young while lacking his previous form has a great attitude tailor-made for starting the game.

There's options galore but no matter how we spin it all around with some good depth we are weak in the halves and at hooker. I really hope this doesn't ruin our 09 chances. It's hard to have confidence in Head, Priddis and to a lesser extent Hornby.

Looking forward to Fepuleai getting a run.