What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 - Dragons Starting 17

_Johnsy

Referee
1. Nightingale
2. Morris
3. Boyd
4. Cooper
5. Sailor
6. Soward
7. Hornby

13. Young
12. Creagh
11. Smith
10. Weyman
9. Priddis
8. Poore

14. Costigan
15. Stanley/Ranieri
16. Prior
17. Merrin/Thorby

1\ Nightingale
2\ Sailor
3\ Boyd
4\ Cooper
5\ Morris
6\ Soward
7\ Hornby
8\ Hunt
9\ Priddis
10\ Poore
11\ Young
12\ Costigan
13\ Creagh

14\ Weyman
15\ Smith
16\ Saffy
17\ Scott

Ray Parlour

Juniors
1. Nightingale
2. Boyd
3. Stanley
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Soward
7. Hornby

13. Young
12. Creagh
11. Smith
10. Prior
9. Priddis
8. Poore

14. Costigan
15. Ranieri
16. Weyman
17. Sailor

Thats how i would start the season. Eventually Fepeleaui to get a bench spot.

Stanley IMO has massive potential which was never full filled because browny used him terribly last season, some times only giving him 15 minutes off the bench which was not enough time to show anything. Give him first crack at centre, and if its not turning out then someone like Sailor /Lett/Emmett can fill in.

Hopefully Hunt can stand up, i thought he was disappointing when Poore got injured this season. He could really have shown that he was ready to start in the pack in 09 but he didn't do that.

With all the backrow talent we have Beau Scott's days in the red v may be numbered. Who knows, he may even play a bit of centre.

watatank

Coach
It will certainly be interesting to see what Bennett runs with. In his press conference he player personnel and positional changes was a very interesting talking point. He said the following

* Gasnier is a huge loss.
* There's issues in the halves
* There's issues with the hookers
* Back row has never been settled
* No established fullback (per se`).
* Sailor will be in the mix, but wasn't clear on his role

Didn't talk about the front row, which I found surprising. He obviously has a lot of faith in the personnel we have already got, I hope he is right.

He didn't really give much away in terms of who will be playing where but I thought it was interesting to share anyway.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Morris / Nighty
Nighty / Morris
Boyd
Coops
Dell
Soward
Hornbag
Poore
Priddis
Prior
Creagh
Young
Smith

Hunt
Horse
Costigan
Scott

Neville & Dean can play hooker when & if Priddis needs a spell. I like the flexibilty in the bnch where Beau can cover centre & back row at a pinch, Horse & Bubba give us real grunt & Costigan can play as a grunt or dummy half.

No way in my opinion would I have Creagh up front - he showed his dominance on the fringes this year, can't see why Bennett would want to nulify such a potent attacking weapon.

Wok Ryan believes Creagh is the best back rower since Tallis.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I feel Hornby and Head will be the halves. Soward to wait for Head to get his injury which should be in about 4-6 weeks into the comp.

Nevan_

First Grade
I would like to see this team.

1. Boyd
2. Nightingale
3. Stanley
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Hunt
9. Priddis
10. Poore
11. Costigan
12. Creagh
13. Smith

14. Thorby
15. Weyman/Prior
16. Young
17. Scott

Pass the Ball

Juniors
A couple of seasons ago, I thought Dean Young was one of the better hookers going around...

Why is he only considered a second rower now..???

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
A couple of seasons ago, I thought Dean Young was one of the better hookers going around...

i thought so too, injusries havent helped, will wait and see how he goes when fit but luke priddis is hooker for now

saint-colesy

Juniors
I dont like Nevans team at all. Boyd is not a fullback, Young needs to start and Scott isn't worthy of a bench spot.

Ray Parlour

Juniors
I dont like Nevans team at all. Boyd is not a fullback, Young needs to start and Scott isn't worthy of a bench spot.

Agree with all that.

Scott tries hard, dont get me wrong, but he has some very bad hands and gives away dumb penalties. Lots of enthusiasm but little skill.

watatank

Coach

I don't know what happened along the way but his passing game from off the ground went to sh*t. He is also a little slow out of dummy half.

rushndude

Bench
Mate Boyd is a very good fullback, that is his primary position, or it was during his junior years im pretty sure, which werent so long ago.
He most likely would have been the Bronc's fullback if it wasnt for K.Hunt...

Young was an excellent back-rower when he came onto the scene. However, we had a number of injuries and he ended up at hooker and 5/8. His best positions are still lock and 2nd row.

EagleDragon

Juniors
my prediction would be:

1. Brett Morris
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Darius Boyd
4. Matt copper
5. wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Mathew Head
8. Dan Hunt
9. Luke Priddis
10. Justin Poore
11. Ben Creagh
12. Jeremy Smith (c)
13. Dean Young
14. Ben Hornby
15. Michael Weyman
16. Dan Hunt
17. Neville costigan

i would think ben hornby is captain, but in my team he is starting on the bench..

petetheileet

First Grade
Thought I'd have a go at what Bennett will do in terms of the starting team for 2009.

Looking at Bennett's teams of the past, he likes a fullback that has a bit of five-eight in him. Hence, Hornby getting the nod over Morris or Nightingale. This means Head plays .. for now.

I think Young should start. What he currently lacks in ability and confidence with his injuries, he makes up for with his attitude. Also, I don't think he would add much off the bench whereas Costigan's impact off the bench would be better served.

With the bench I think Bennett would like some impact. Fepuleai needs to start playing some minutes as Priddis is not an 80 minute player anymore. Chase Stanley needs a spot in the 17 because he is in our 17 best players. When he comes on he can play some centre as Darius pushes to the wing and Sailor pushes in tighter. Or play in the forwards on the fringes.

Creagh maybe asked to play a little tighter for parts of the game but 60 minutes expected off both the starting props. As you can see I am not a Weyman fan. His in one week, out the other routine would be too disruptive.

Unlucky to miss out are Morris, Scott, Saffy and Thorby. I would also look closely at the young prop Merrin to get a debut.

Great depth this year. Still need something at 9 or 7 for 2010 to be really formiddable.

1. Ben Hornby
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Darius Boyd
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Matt Head

13. Dean Young
12. Ben Creagh (c)
11. Jeremy Smith
10. Dan Hunt
9. Luke Priddis
8. Justin Poore

14. Daniel Fepuleai
15. Chase Stanley
16. Matt Prior
17. Neville Costigan

What do you think?

Top Team mate...

i think the only people who are leaving Fepuleai out are just the ones who havn't seen enough of him...

He needs to be there!!

Id get rid of Prior for Weyman....

Not only do i think it is a better option i also think Wayne likes the mongrel in his forwards...Something Prior doesnt posess.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I don't think Bennett really likes mongrel as much as toughness Pete and he'll get his team to toughen up.
I really get the feeling that he'll try

1. Nightingale
2. Sailor
3. Boyd
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Poore
9. Priddis
10. Creagh
11. Costigan
12. Smith
13. Young

14 Weyman
15. Hunt
A mix of others on a horses for courses basis
Head was cheap and will get game time IMO but I don't think that Bennett will start with him

SEAT 1A

Bench
1. Ben Hornby
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Darius Boyd
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendell Sailor/Brett Morris
6. Jamie Soward
7. Matt Head

13. Dean Young
12. Ben Creagh (c)
11. Jeremy Smith
10. Dan Hunt
9. Luke Priddis
8. Justin Poore

14. Alex Ranieri
15. Chase Stanley
16. Michael Weyman
17. Beau Scott/Neville Costigan

After a full off-season, I would go with Del, only because of he has had more experience. Brett the next best.

Beau or Costigan?

I would go with Beau, as he can cover second row, has strong defence and more speed than Neville. Also, I have not seen much of Neville playing.

I gave Alex the spot ahead of Prior only because he was picked for the squad last year, however Prior showed late in the year that he is ready for first grade.

Chase, to cover for the wing and centre spot. I think Dan Hunt is ready to go, and will prove to be one of the top props in 09.

I'm happy to see the club retain both Saffy and Thornby. They both run and hit hard, but I think they both have talent and want to work hard to become top first grade players, they get dirty on themselves when the make an error. I like to see that.