What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 - Dragons Starting 17

Godz Illa

Coach
New Dragons arrivals jump right into training

BY TIM BARROW
6/01/2009 4:00:00 AM

The man Dragons fans hope can fill the shoes of former St George Illawarra captain Mark Gasnier hit the ground running in Wollongong yesterday.

Star signing and former Brisbane Broncos flyer Darius Boyd, along with New Zealand World Cup hero and ex-Canberra enforcer Neville Costigan, officially joined the squad at pre-season training.

An upbeat Boyd shared a laugh with new team-mate Brett Morris and also chatted at length with Kiwi winger and rising St George Illawarra star Jason Nightingale during the session at Beaton Park.

There was plenty of reason for excitement for Dragons fans, with versatile halfback Ben Hornby out of his arm sling after off-season shoulder surgery and Wendell Sailor in full flight.

Having represented Queensland this season, Boyd is touted as the man to take over from Gasnier, who joined French rugby union at the end of the season.

With pre-season training in full swing, new coach Wayne Bennett can look ahead to the Dragons' first trial game to be played against the Roosters at Perth's Members Equity Stadium on February 14.
St George Illawarra will then play in the Mercury Shield against the Bulldogs on February 21, before the Charity Shield against South Sydney on February 28.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...rrivals-jump-right-into-training/1400157.aspx

Big Mick

Referee
along with New Zealand World Cup hero and ex-Canberra enforcer Neville Costigan

Umm....Costigan played for PNG

drake

First Grade
along with New Zealand World Cup hero and ex-Canberra enforcer Neville Costigan

Umm....Costigan played for PNG
It's the Illawarra Mockery. Wouldn't know an arsehole from an elbow, let alone a new zealander from a new guinean.

petetheileet

First Grade
Action Photos now have the NRL head shots up, if you're into that sort of thing...

Costigtan%2cNeville%2009NRLH_281833_p.jpg
Priddis%2cLuke%2009NRLH_260773_p.jpg
Weyman%2cMichael%2009NRLH_300656_p.jpg

These blokes will no doubt be hot on Coopers tail for the sexiest man in league 09 title

Jersey No 14

Juniors
In Wayne I Trust.
Decisions will be made that some of us will shake our heads at but...
In Wayne I Trust.
Hornby will be our MAN. Coached right watch this guy shine!
As for the team... There's some guys there that'll grow under the Bennett tutorledge
Come on March 09.
Billy Moore Screamed Queenslander - that was a gee up
Me, I'm Screaming SAINT GEORGE.
09 - Time to shine!!!

drake

First Grade
Nice article by MC there, and one a lot of worried Saints fans have been desperate to read. Great to see Sowie's head is in a good space after the skull-buggery Brownie performed on him late last year. Before his back injury he was probably our most important player, up among the Dally M leaders (finished in the top ten) and in sh*t-hot form, and I know I was worried that his confidence may have been shattered irreparably by the coach's failure to re-instate him after the injury. Thankfully that doesn't appear to be the case - should be one of the first picked in St Benny's team.
:lol:
Skull Buggery. I love it.

I cannot think that there is a better candidate for 5/8 than Sowie. I was so happy when we poached him, and so angry when Browny dumped him for Ben frikking Rogers.

Brown, the skull buggerer.

_Johnsy

Referee
Browny dumped him for Ben frikking Rogers.

As soon as this happened all hope was lost for 2008, it probably would have made no difference in the end, however we had no chance without sowie kapowie.

Now there is a sign, in the style of the old batman show

"Sowie Kapowie"

TheLegendKiller

Juniors
well i reckon it will be a big year for our mighty mighties top 4 for sure:
its a major versatile side so many players can cover many positions
my starting 17 would be:

1. Jason Nightingale (cover fullback, wing, centre, possible 5/8)
2. Wendell Sailor (covers anything and everything why? because he is big dell)
3. Darius Boyd (cover centre and wing)
4. Matt Cooper (hopefully passes the ball this year fingers crossed)
5. Brett Morris (cover wing, centre and fullback)
6. Jamie Soward (cover 5/8 and halfback.. my pick for Dally M)
7. Ben Hornby (cover halfback and fullback needs to fire hard this year)
8. Justin Poore
9. Luke Priddis (cover hooker and halfback)
10. Ben Creagh (cover prop, 2nd row and lock needs a big season)
11. Neville Costigan (cover 2nd row and prop)
12. Jeremy Smith (cover 2nd row, lock and prop)
13. Dean Young (cover lock, 2nd row, hooker and 5/8)

14. Chase Stanley (cover wing, centre and lock)
15. Michael Weyman
16. Mickey Paea (cover 2nd row and prop)
17. Matthew Head (cover halfback, 5/8 and hooker)

bring on season 09