What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Melbourne Cup Thread

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Newport was pretty damn good... just the Cummngs lovefest will overshadow it... but my Shocking will come in a bit after the lexus

Cletus

First Grade
I like Newport and it will get a lot of weight off Viewed in the Cup but the qualified Cup horses never try in the Mckinnon. I think theres a few chances but I think I'll join the Bart lovefest.
I don't like the overseas horses. Ciam de Triomphe came fourth to "the best horse in the world" and it barely beat one home today. I wish they'd send over some better horses or acclimatise them better.

rabs

Staff member
had old Newport at 91 a win, 16.00 the place today was well worth a shot

we now have the barrier draw and final field, Viewed and Alcopop well drawn

hard to see Viewed not winning but I like value bets so my 3 are:
Leica Ding
Allez Wonder
Warringah

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Newport's run was good but it won't beat Viewed. Rawiller didn't even ride it hard. It ran 10th last year with 51.5kg and has the extra kilogram this year. In its favour, numbers wise, the winners of the last three years have been 2, 6 and 10 and it is number 14. :lol: However, it also has the dreaded barrier 18.

I don't think the Geelong Cup is a strong formline this year but if you were going to follow a horse out of it, it would be Basaltico. The problem with Warringah is it normally leads and it will burn alot of petrol if it does from barrier 17.

St. Brett

Juniors
This is f*cking hopeless!

I cannot find the field for the MLB Cup on the internet that can be copy and pasted to here!

F*ck me dead!

I'm going out of my f*cking mind with this sh*t.

Last edited:

damo72

Juniors
1. Viewed
2. Cést La Guerre
3. Fuimicino
4. Master O'Reilly
5. Mourilyan
6. Roman Emperor
7. Ista Karem
8. Crime Scene
9. Munsef
10. Zavite
11. Alcopop
12. Harris Tweed
13. Kibbutz
14. Newport
15. Warringah
16. Gallions Reach
17. Spin Around
18. Basaltico
19. Capecover
20. Daffodil
21. Shocking
22. Allez Wonder
23. Changingoftheguard
24. Leica Ding

St. Brett

Juniors
It's a pretty crappy race, really.

I'm looking into this thing ---> MOURILYAN

I backed Spin Around last time and in the MLB Cup it's quoted as 200's and should be 500-1 apparently.
That M R Du Plessis can't be overlooked.

I'm gonna look into FIUMICINO as well.

It's actually a crap cup this year.

I'll try 'n come back tomorrow and give you the lowdown.

But for now this Mourilyan thing has caught my eye.
You need young horses not these 6 and 7YO things.

And isn't it amazing that only a year ago Viewed was 40-1 and unwanted yet this year every mother and its so-called expert f*cker is all over that bastard.

P.S. I want to get in early on this tip for tomorrow so go and pre-sale it. You heard it here first. MLB Rce 8 number 12 Packing Success.

Last edited:

Evenflow

Bench
I'm roving Viewed to finish in the top 3 with 2,4,5,6,7,11,14,20,21,23,24 to fill the other 2 spots. Flext tri for $150 which will give me 45.45% Probably no need to go so wide this year but i've put in the roughies in the hope that they'll fill 2 of the first 3 (preferably win) which will give a nice divi seeing as the pool is so massive on cup day. I've done it this way for the cup for a while now and have had some nice collects given a roughie always seems to sneak in somewhere.

If 3 of the shorter prices get up i'll still get my money back i'd reckon. Or of course i could do it cold by leaving one or more of them out :lol:

Last edited:

IanG

Coach
So just out of curiosity. Does anybody bet on/take interest in the other races on the card?

lsta5838

Juniors
A few outsiders on the day look good to me... I would be looking at race 4 #3 Romneya for win/place (only missed a place one out of 9 runs at 1400, but bled from one nostril last run, so be weary), race 5 #1 Common Interest - not sure why so high, should be 10/1 or 8/1), race 6 #2 Indian Ocean, race 8 #9 stockhouse.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'll be backing Viewed and Alcopop, can't see either of those being beaten by anything else in the field.

Moffo

Referee
got a whisper for kibbutz from a strong source might be worth a few $

kibbutz will salute and do something similar to what efficient did...already banged it at 80/1. didnt mind its effort last start

box it into viewed/roman emperor/allez wonder and you won't be far off the money

Moffo

Referee
So just out of curiosity. Does anybody bet on/take interest in the other races on the card?

if i was with a betting crowd i would. im usually wok eyed by the time the cup starts though so not much point throwing money away when im pissed

the couple of times i have done it though..found it very hard to win. sh*t racing apart from the sprint (race 9?)

damo72

Juniors
I usually like betting on the earlier races better than the Cup as the odds are usually a lot better than normal days due to the amount of money being bet.

I'm still leaning towards Alcopop and Daffodil, and am going to box them up with Crime Scene who should be leading most of the way, Basaltico, Viewed, Newport and Leica Ding.

Latest posts