What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 NSW 16s and 18s Teams

lifesgood

Juniors
Have you seen all these guys play this year or are you going by names and reputations. If this is the case will the side be picked on form or how big your contract is. I have watched the penrith games this year and have to say Harry has been very dissapointing this year and hasnt been a standout in his own team so wonder how you could pick him in this team.
Vaipuna is a good player but up until this week he hasnt been able to get in the starting line up of a loosing team so i find that selection also a bit surprising.

Mate when this NSW side is getting picked, form doesn't go into any factor, and thats the truth, and its a joke.

lifesgood

Juniors
Probable Under-18s
1 Junior Roqica Balmain
2 Nathan Massey Canterbury
3 Matthew Wright Cronulla
4 Dylan Farrell Souths
5 William Hopoate Manly
6 Albert Kelly Parramatta
7 Harry Seijka Penrith
8 Aaron Woods Balmain
9 Matthew McIlwrick Canberra
10 Samson Sene Penrith
11 Jarrod Thompson St George Illawarra
12 Dominic Walsh Gold Coast
13 Boyd Cordner Newtown

14 Matthew Grout Wests
15 Rodney Moefaauo Parramatta
16 Vaipuna Tia Kilifi Penrith
17 Kyle Stanley St George Illawarra

I haven't seen enough of all the Under-16s players, but a few who will be there are backrowers David Minute (Canterbury) and Arnold Woulf (Souths). James Roberts, Jacob Gagan and Pat Matautia-Leifi will all make the backline.

I think Junior to the centres and Massey at fullback. Dylan Farrel, I think is more of a half. After watching the Australian School Championships last year, Ratu Tagive should get a run on the wing, I thought he was one of the best int he whole tournament and was not given a fair go when the Aussie Schoolboys side was picked.
Rodney, Vaipuna and Grout I think will struggle, and Kyle Stanly lives off his brothers name, cause I have not seen him play a good game out of the few games i have even seen him play.

Their isn't many good props besides Woods and Samson, but also off the bench I would have Teni from the dogs, He is a monster with tremendous ball skills. Along with either Dale, Chris Thomas or Lachlan Burr.
Blake Austin would also be a chance off the bench cause he can paly in the backrow and Hooker. Also the Hooker from St George, Cam King i think his name is, is the same sought of player as Blake. Think he will be playing 20's soon.

Deetroy72

Juniors
Mate when this NSW side is getting picked, form doesn't go into any factor, and thats the truth, and its a joke.

Intresting to see when the 18's team is picked how many players still at school representing CHS or CCC and how many out of school working or not working

So far best guideline is the weekly news hded out at entry to harold matts and sg ball games, some familiar names starting to appear week in and out so far in the competition - more interesting is who is not in the team

fortae

Bench
Kyle Stanly lives off his brothers name, cause I have not seen him play a good game out of the few games i have even seen him play.

Kyle Stanley has had two serious knee injuries, which may mean he does not reach his full potential, but he has been regarded as a better prospect than Chase Stanley. A more vital one in that he can play five-eighth or fullback with five-eighth skills. Canterbury has tried to get him out of his contract every year in recent memory. They also went after his younger brother, who has potential but will take more time, as a lure.

His under 20s debut was quality and that was after only one game in SG Ball. Maybe not up to William Hopoate standard, but few would be. I couldn't pick him in the under 18s team at this time, but without the injuries he'd be there.

My early guess ...

1. William Hopoate
2. Nathan Massey
3. Matthew Wright
4. Junior Roqica
5. Ratu Tagive

6. Albert Kelly
7. Joshua Murray

13. Chris Binge
12. Boyd Cordner
11. Jarrod Thompson
10. Aaron Woods
9. Cameron King
8. Jake Finn

14. Jack Stockwell
15. Moses Pangai
16. Dominic Walsh
17. Ben Picker

18. Jack Lee Hang or Alex McKinnon

Pangai is my smokey. I wanted to pick Ryan James instead but apparently he's a Qlder now. What's new? Isn't Matt McIlwrick a NZer?

James Roberts vs Jacob Gagan this week should be a good test for the under 16s fullback spot. Very early to be picking a team at that age.

lifesgood

Juniors
Kyle Stanley has had two serious knee injuries, which may mean he does not reach his full potential, but he has been regarded as a better prospect than Chase Stanley. A more vital one in that he can play five-eighth or fullback with five-eighth skills. Canterbury has tried to get him out of his contract every year in recent memory. They also went after his younger brother, who has potential but will take more time, as a lure.

His under 20s debut was quality and that was after only one game in SG Ball. Maybe not up to William Hopoate standard, but few would be. I couldn't pick him in the under 18s team at this time, but without the injuries he'd be there.

My early guess ...

1. William Hopoate
2. Nathan Massey
3. Matthew Wright
4. Junior Roqica
5. Ratu Tagive

6. Albert Kelly
7. Joshua Murray

13. Chris Binge
12. Boyd Cordner
11. Jarrod Thompson
10. Aaron Woods
9. Cameron King
8. Jake Finn

14. Jack Stockwell
15. Moses Pangai
16. Dominic Walsh
17. Ben Picker

18. Jack Lee Hang or Alex McKinnon

Pangai is my smokey. I wanted to pick Ryan James instead but apparently he's a Qlder now. What's new? Isn't Matt McIlwrick a NZer?

James Roberts vs Jacob Gagan this week should be a good test for the under 16s fullback spot. Very early to be picking a team at that age.

Moses would be an awesome pick, but might go under the spotlight in north queensland. Jack Lee Hang and Alex Mckinnon will both struggle especially cause they are both lpaying in poor teams.

Chris Binge i think is a bit of a bolter, Ethan cook is another back rower who played schoolboys last year who will probably make it. he will probably come off the bench with Boyd, Dom and Jarrod starting, i still think Hopa should be on the wing with Massey fullback.

how many times do people say the younger brother is the better prospect.! And never works out, im not to sure and i hope i am wrong, but i think chase is much better

rambo1

Juniors
I'm surprised that people have not been selecting many Parramatta players in their teams. At the moment they are the outstanding team in SG Ball and I think some more of their players will be in the running. For example Rodney Moefaauo is in outstanding form and outplayed Stockwell when the two teams met recently.

I also think the form of winger/centre Jorge Taufua and centre Joshua Tuitupou should deserve mention. Throw in Australian AIS representative and centre Rory Brien who scored 2 trys against Canberra last weekend.

If Harry Seijka is selected I'll walk naked down High St Penrith. Selection should be on form not reputation.

lifesgood

Juniors
I'm surprised that people have not been selecting many Parramatta players in their teams. At the moment they are the outstanding team in SG Ball and I think some more of their players will be in the running. For example Rodney Moefaauo is in outstanding form and outplayed Stockwell when the two teams met recently.

I also think the form of winger/centre Jorge Taufua and centre Joshua Tuitupou should deserve mention. Throw in Australian AIS representative and centre Rory Brien who scored 2 trys against Canberra last weekend.

If Harry Seijka is selected I'll walk naked down High St Penrith. Selection should be on form not reputation.

Mate i can honestly agree with you there, but if you think about it, the centres in my team were Junior Rogica and Matthew Wright, both playing in the twenties, and both been training with first grade, so really they havent had their chance to prove anything

But also like i said before these teams get picked off their name not their form and its a disgrace.
Josh Murray should be the half, but it wont suprise me if Harry Siejka is named.
Rodney is good, and i wont be complaining if he is picked, just think since it is under 18s, most 18 year olds should get first choice as well, I follow the canterbury juniors alot cos i live 2 mins from the crest (their new homeground) and i really like all three of their backrowers, but dont think they will get picked in front of the likes of Boyd Cordner, Jarrod Thompson, Dominic Walsh and Ethan Cook. Teni I think is a top player, Nathan Massey has to be fullback!!! Aiden and Liam are both good halves that go under the radar alot. Ratu Tagive has to be on the wing

fortae

Bench
I left Cook out by mistake, but I considered Moefaauo and Brien.

I didn't see that game you mentioned but Moefaauo is in a stronger team, so there are a few things to consider. I thought Stockwell did a better job in the under 16s game last year. They might make both it, just that they've been going with more backrowers at higher levels. We must be missing someone, there's so few 1991 props around ...

Being in a weaker team helps you when you stand out, especially if you have other pedigree like other NSW jnr rep teams. Under 18s also allows a few extra weeks to impress with the under 20s ... for those who play SG Ball at the start of the year.

Younger brothers? Nathan Hindmarsh, Tony Puletua, Shaun Berrigan, Corey Hughes, Lagi Setu. Those came to mind in about a minute. I can go on. There's a few that will be debated too, like the Minichiello's, the Keating's, the Morris', the Paulo's, Lowe's, Aubusson's, Paea's, Anderson's, Ah Van's, Rapira's and Stewart's ...

BTW big test this year. Is Korbin Sims going to play for NSW or Qld? He'd be on the bench in either under 18s team.

lifesgood

Juniors
I left Cook out by mistake, but I considered Moefaauo and Brien.

I didn't see that game you mentioned but Moefaauo is in a stronger team, so there are a few things to consider. I thought Stockwell did a better job in the under 16s game last year. They might make both it, just that they've been going with more backrowers at higher levels. We must be missing someone, there's so few 1991 props around ...

Being in a weaker team helps you when you stand out, especially if you have other pedigree like other NSW jnr rep teams. Under 18s also allows a few extra weeks to impress with the under 20s ... for those who play SG Ball at the start of the year.

Younger brothers? Nathan Hindmarsh, Tony Puletua, Shaun Berrigan, Corey Hughes, Lagi Setu. Those came to mind in about a minute. I can go on. There's a few that will be debated too, like the Minichiello's, the Keating's, the Morris', the Paulo's, Lowe's, Aubusson's, Paea's, Anderson's, Ah Van's, Rapira's and Stewart's ...

BTW big test this year. Is Korbin Sims going to play for NSW or Qld? He'd be on the bench in either under 18s team.

Whose Korbin Sims?

I don't think Parra are that much stronger then the Dogs, It should be them two in the grand final. To be honest we never know what the selectors are going to do, there a few people i would of picked last year that didnt, but who knows.

All them brothers you named then didnt really have older brothers that were massive stars. Ian Hindmarsh was never really a big name, neither was berrigans brother and tony was always better of the puletuas, and james aubusson is defintly better then mitch.

fortae

Bench
Whose Korbin Sims?

Among the best forwards in that age bracket, the best forward on the field in the under 16s game last year and yes, Ashton's younger brother. I should say he'd "at least" be on the bench in either under 18s team. They'll be tough to beat if they put Seaton, O'Hanlon, James and KSims on the park together.

I don't think Parra are that much stronger then the Dogs, It should be them two in the grand final. To be honest we never know what the selectors are going to do, there a few people i would of picked last year that didnt, but who knows.

I'm not sure what this is about. Stockwell plays for Illawarra.

All them brothers you named then didnt really have older brothers that were massive stars. Ian Hindmarsh was never really a big name, neither was berrigans brother and tony was always better of the puletuas, and james aubusson is defintly better then mitch.

Chase Stanley is a massive star? You are using both foresight and hindsight now ... did you do the same when the older players were 16-20?

James Aubusson still hasn't learnt to pass and will be jumped over by Jake Friend.

girvie

Staff member
Have you seen all these guys play this year or are you going by names and reputations.

Of course I picked my team on 2008 form. SG Ball is only 3 rounds, and many of the best Under-18s players haven't been playing SG Ball.

rambo1

Juniors
Of course I picked my team on 2008 form. SG Ball is only 3 rounds, and many of the best Under-18s players haven't been playing SG Ball.

I would hope people are choosing these teams on 2009 form. Just look at the Harry Seijka situation as evidence in point.

fortae

Bench
I would hope people are choosing these teams on 2009 form. Just look at the Harry Seijka situation as evidence in point.

What sporting team is picked purely on form? The best players need to hold their reputations, it's the same everywhere.

It's just unfeasible, in a guessing game. One good or poor game would change the whole team from week to week, with more variations based on limited viewings ... how many teams would you have seen in competition rounds? Six max? And if that many, then no more than one game from each.

As mentioned by both me and girvie, under 18s will take in performances in other competitions that are yet to begin. You can't just dismiss that, especially when you haven't got a "pencilled in" list nor a fuller list of your own.

Last edited:

rambo1

Juniors
What sporting team is picked purely on form? The best players need to hold their reputations, it's the same everywhere.

It's just unfeasible, in a guessing game. One good or poor game would change the whole team from week to week, with more variations based on limited viewings ... how many teams would you have seen in competition rounds? Six max? And if that many, then no more than one game from each.

As mentioned by both me and girvie, under 18s will take in performances in other competitions that are yet to begin. You can't just dismiss that, especially when you haven't got a "pencilled in" list nor a fuller list of your own.

I've already said mate it's too early to pick a side. Why don't we all do what you do and pick a team of players that represented last year....now that's a challenge!

Teams change yearly. The challenge is to pick the players that are jumping out and saying, "PICK ME"

fortae

Bench
I've already said mate it's too early to pick a side.

There's no sign of you writing that in this thread. Do you also write under the name Fin077?

Why don't we all do what you do and pick a team of players that represented last year....now that's a challenge!

My team is different to girvie, is different to lifesgood. That's three people that wanted to make some predictions for a full team. You don't really think it's too early, I mean you suggested O'Hanlan for NSW for example ...

Teams change yearly. The challenge is to pick the players that are jumping out and saying, "PICK ME"

Actually the majority repeat from other representative teams, the anomalies are when there's a large gap between teams, e.g. from 15s championships to under 17s but that changed last year going to 16s ... or if there are injuries e.g. Josh Dugan only playing because Greg Waddell was injured. But even then I still did pick a couple who didn't represent ...

BTW this from the poster that said

Hopoate does not deserve selection at fullback in preference to Chris Ulugia who is clearly the best FB in the comp. IMO Hoppa is lucky to be in the side at all.

Can anyone take you seriously? Did you go to four games at Guilford or Erskineville yesterday and check out the form? How about a report?

Rubber Toes

Juniors
James Roberts vs Jacob Gagan this week should be a good test for the under 16s fullback spot. Very early to be picking a team at that age.[/quote]

For mine, Roberts outpointed Gagan.

john26

Juniors
Girvie, out of the team you picked how many are playing under 20's and how do you rate them? I noticed a nsw selector at the illawarra v penrith game yesterday. Nobody really impressed me from that game. Do the selectors look at the under 20 players?