What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Trials, Charity Shield & World Club Challenge

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24799131-5006066,00.html

NRL fans have just 56 days until another fix of footy.

While the full list of trial matches is yet to be confirmed and finalised, each NRL team have roughly outlined where and when they will begin their 2009 campaign.

South Sydney and the Wests Tigers have been scheduled to play the first official NRL trial match of the year on February 8 at Redfern Oval.

And the most prestigious of all trial matches, the Charity Shield between the Rabbitohs and the Dragons, has been scheduled for February 28.

That’s the same night as the Eels and Roosters are set to meet at Gosford’s Bluetongue Stadium as well as the Cowboys and Panthers in Cairns and the Knights against the Sharks in Cessnock.

Melbourne will start the new year with a trans-Tasman excursion, when they take on the Warriors at Waikato Stadium on February 12.

The Cowboys will also make a trip to New Zealand to play the Warriors on February 22 in Auckland.

Just as they did in the 2008 grand final, Manly will go one better than the Storm in the jetsetting stakes. The Sea Eagles will make a special appearance in the UK and play the London Broncos on February 22 in an exhibition match at The Stoop before their World Club Challenge match against Leeds on March 1.

Still on the peninsula, the man they call T-Rex has made one early New Year’s resolution and forced himself to give up fast food. Tony Williams has swapped his love of McDonald’s for a new diet containing more salads since he joined the Sea Eagles. “I cant afford to keep eating that stuff, not with the training we do here,” he said.

The Foundation Cup between the Roosters and Wests Tigers will be played on February 22. The Tigers are also due to head north on February 28 to face the Titans in Lismore – a match that should prove to be an interesting encounter for hooker Robbie Farah.
Warriors v Cowboys in Auckland ... good one Warriors. :roll:

Smiley

Bench
Broncos have announced all there trials for next year.

Broncos’ full trial schedule;
Saturday, February 7
Brisbane Broncos v Wide Bay Selection - Albert Park, Gympie (Time: TBA)

Saturday, February 14
Brisbane Broncos NRL v Gold Coast Titans NRL - Kougari Oval, Wynnum (Time: 7pm)
Brisbane Broncos NYC v Central Comets QRL - Browne Park, Rockhampton (Time: 7.30pm)

Saturday, February 21
Brisbane Broncos NRL v Canberra Raiders NRL - Dolphin Oval, Redcliffe (Time: 7pm)
Brisbane Broncos NYC v Toowoomba - Clive Berghofer Stadium, Toowoomba (Time: TBA)

Saturday, February 28
Brisbane Broncos NRL v Melbourne Storm NRL - Quad Park, Kawana (Time: TBA)
Brisbane Broncos NYC v Easts Tigers QRL - Langlands Park, Coorparoo (Time:TBA)

link

Good to see the Broncos haven't forgot about Toowoomba.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
A bit on Souths return to Redfern not only for the trail but as their fulltime traning venue...

HE shed blood for more than 10 years at Redfern Oval. Yesterday, Souths legend Mario Fenech shed a tear.
"We've got our home back - we never thought it would happen," an emotional Fenech said.
Former Souths great Fenech and fellow ex-Rabbitohs champion Craig Coleman yesterday returned to Redfern Oval - the famous inner-city ground where they played more than 200 first-grade games.
South Sydney, the pride of the league, make their historic return to Redfern from Tuesday.
The $20 million revamped inner-city ground looks wonderful - complete with a state-of-the-art playing surface, gymnasium, physio and rehab room, ice baths, 36 lockers, kitchen, theatrette, history boards, conference room and a cafe.
Redfern Oval now is an amazing mixture of technology and history.
Souths will continue to play NRL matches at ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park but will return to Redfern to train fulltime from January 5. Equipment from their previous training ground, Erskineville Oval, will be shifted to Redfern on Tuesday.
The Rabbitohs will play a much anticipated, pre-season members-only match against Wests Tigers at Redfern Oval on February 8, with more than 5000 fans expected to cram into the ground.
An emotional Fenech and Coleman (pictured inset back in 1988) were back at Redfern yesterday to inspect the new ground. "I truly shed a tear when I walked in. I got quite emotional. I'm blown away by Redfern. It looks awesome," said Fenech. "This is our spiritual home and it's great to be back. It means a lot to Souths supporters."
The visit brought back memories for Fenech dating back to 1966. "I remember coming here with my uncle Harry when I was six," he said.
"We sat on the hill next to the old stand. It was my first taste of rugby league. The energy, the excitement, the noise. In 1981 I played my first game for Souths. I remember looking at the hill and all the Souths fans there in their jumpers standing in the pouring rain without umbrellas.
"It showed me very early the loyalty of Souths fans."
Coleman too was impressed with the Redfern refurbishment.
"I used to jump the fence here every week and get the corner flag," Coleman said. "After that we would stay until nine at night kicking a footy around on the field. I had 10 fence holes so the groundsman couldn't get me.
"I used to do training laps with the likes of Sattler, McCarthy and O'Neill when I was five. I lived with my grandmother just across the road.
"It was an intimidating place. When you needed a penalty late in the game when the scores were close, the crowd would roar and you'd get one."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24815411-5006066,00.html

Jono078

Referee
What's with the WCC being in March now? I use to like it being the first televised game pretty early in the year.

Shorty

Staff member
So it's just Cows vs Warriors and Cows Vs Panthers on the 22nd and 28th respectively,at the moment?
Geez the Cowboys site is informative as usual,I'm sure you can count the amount of times they update it a year on one hand!

Timmah

Staff member
More info on our QLD trial against Canberra:

Bulldogs v Raiders Trial Game
Meakin Park
Meakin Road
SLACKS CREEK QLD

28th February 2009

First Grade Kick Off 8pm
Premier League Kick Off 6pm
A Grade Kick Off 4:30pm
Colts Kick Off 3pm

Tickets will be on sale from 19th January 2009. To purchase, contact 07 3844 7344 or email admin@southsloganmagpies.com (CREDIT CARD ONLY)

Price:

Adults $15
Students / Pensioners $10
Children U12 – FREE
Please be advised that the Bulldogs will ONLY be represented during the first grade match at Meakin Park.

The trial for our NYC team is on Saturday 28th February 2009 at Seiffert Oval at 5pm. Details for tickets to this game are TBC

http://bulldogs.com.au/main.php?page=article&id=2006

Timmah

Staff member
Cowboys confirmed trials, for your benefit Shorty:
http://www.cowboys.com.au/cowboys.php?index=7.4
Trial game 1
14 February @ Mackay - v Mackay Cutters (Toyota Cup)
14 February @ Mackay - v Cronulla Sharks (NRL/Toyota Cup)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trial game 2
21 February @ Atherton - v Northern Pride (Toyota Cup)
22 February @ Auckland - v Warriors (NRL)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trial game 3
27 February @ Townsville - v Tsv A Grade (Toyota Cup)
28 February @ Cairns - v Penrith (NRL)
28 February @ Cairns - v Northern Pride (NRL/Toyota Cup)

Currently confirmed trials as of 15 Dec:

Sat 24 Jan
Raiders v Sharks @ Seiffert Oval, Queanbeyan NSW

Sun 8 Feb
Rabbitohs v Tigers @ Redfern Oval

Thu 12 Feb
Warriors v Storm @ Hamilton
Sat 14 Feb
Rabbitohs v Panthers @ BCU International Stadium, Coffs Harbour NSW
Roosters v Dragons @ Members Equity Stadium, Perth WA
Sea Eagles v Storm @ Morrie Breen Oval, Kanwal NSW
Eels v Panthers @ Exies Oval, Griffith NSW
Titans v Broncos @ Kougari Oval, Wynnum QLD
Cowboys v Sharks @ Brothers RL Ground, Mackay QLD
Broncos NYC v QRL Central Comets @ Browne Park, Rockhampton

Fri 20 Feb
Storm v Knights @ VISY Park (formerly MC Labour Park), Melbourne VIC
Sat 21 Feb
Dragons v Bulldogs @ WIN Stadium, Wollongong NSW Mercury Challenge
Raiders v Broncos @ Dolphin Oval, Redcliffe QLD
Broncos NYC v Toowoomba @ Clive Berghofer Stadium, Toowoomba QLD
Panthers v Eels @ CUA Stadium, Penrith NSW
Titans v Sharks @ Richardson Park, Darwin NT
Sun 22 Feb
Roosters v Tigers @ SFS, Moore Park NSW Foundation Cup
Warriors v Cowboys @ North Harbour Stadium, Auckland NZ
Harlequins RL vs Sea Eagles at The Stoop, London - 3pm GMT
Rabbitohs - no trial

Sat 28 Feb
Rabbitohs v Dragons @ ANZ Charity Shield
Raiders v Bulldogs @ Meakin Park, Logan QLD
Broncos v Storm @ Quad Park, Kawana Waters QLD
Broncos NYC v QRL Easts Tigers @ Langlands Park, Coorparoo QLD
Knights v Sharks @ Baddeley Park, Cessnock NSW
Eels v Roosters @ Bluetongue Stadium, Gosford NSW
Cowboys v Panthers @ Barlow Park, Cairns QLD
Titans v Warriors @ Oaks Oval, Lismore NSW
Tigers - no trial

Sun Mar 1 - World Club Challenge
Leeds Rhinos v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles @ Elland Road

Timmah

Staff member
That looks like more or less it to me unless the Tigers can find a replacement opponent on the final weekend of trials...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
A nice little flyer for the Sunshine Coast trial on the 28th of Feb.

SE_Footy_FestA3poster09.jpg

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
It is talked up every year but we only take the result seriously when we win.

Exactly, and I could see why upto 2 years ago with the time of year it was played. Now it is better for you guys because its played a month later and the Sea Eagles will have played the Storm and The Quins in the build up. Both better than who Leeds will have played.

Also Leeds could be without Webb and Buderus... not that I am that bothered because Smith and Diskin are both very good replacements IMO.