What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Trials, Charity Shield & World Club Challenge

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Reports from the Foxtel guide are being made on Souths & Saints' forums... apparently the Charity Shield isn't going to be on FOX Sports this year :?

skeepe

Immortal
Canberra Raiders 32 def. Cronulla Sharks 12.

Josh McCrone, Brad Cross and Joel Thompson all scored for the Raiders, not sure about the rest of the tries. Good result for the Raiders after trailling 8-0 at the end of the first period. No conversions were attempted at all so it ended as 8 tries to 3.

Also thought the two ref system worked well (refs were Badger and Maxwell), I still don't think it's neccessary but if we have to have it, well they could have done a lot worse. Refereeing overall was pretty good, although it looks like they're going to be even looser with the interpretation of a dangerous throw; one of the Raiders made a textbook tackle, lifted the Sharks player up and drove him into the ground on his back andat no stage went past the horizontal put still got penalised. Hopefully just a trigger-happy ref because I'd hate to think these sorts of tackles are going to be outlawed.

adamkungl

Immortal
Canberra Raiders 32 def. Cronulla Sharks 12.

Josh McCrone, Brad Cross and Joel Thompson all scored for the Raiders, not sure about the rest of the tries. Good result for the Raiders after trailling 8-0 at the end of the first period. No conversions were attempted at all so it ended as 8 tries to 3.

Also thought the two ref system worked well (refs were Badger and Maxwell), I still don't think it's neccessary but if we have to have it, well they could have done a lot worse. Refereeing overall was pretty good, although it looks like they're going to be even looser with the interpretation of a dangerous throw; one of the Raiders made a textbook tackle, lifted the Sharks player up and drove him into the ground on his back andat no stage went past the horizontal put still got penalised. Hopefully just a trigger-happy ref because I'd hate to think these sorts of tackles are going to be outlawed.

How strong were the sides played? I'd assume this early on it would have been mostly young blokes and fringe players?

Frederick

Staff member
How strong were the sides played? I'd assume this early on it would have been mostly young blokes and fringe players?
Sharks youngsters to get a run

Kyle Mackey-Laws, Canberra Times | January 23, 2009 - 11:37AM

The Cronulla Sharks have named an inexperienced squad to play the Canberra Raiders tomorrow night at Seiffert Oval.

Only hooker Terrence Seu Seu has NRL experience, with the rest of the squad made up of premier league and under-20s players.

The match, to be played in 25 minute thirds, will be the first trial of the year, with both clubs expected to field young players in what is expected to be warm conditions.

In contrast to the Raiders' naming seven players with NRL experience, Seu Seu will be the only Shark who played top-flight football last season.

He played 15 matches for the Sharks in 2008 and represented Samoa at the rugby league World Cup last year.

But Raiders utility Brett Kelly isn't worried about who he lines up against tomorrow night.

"I couldn't care less who we play, as long as we play well that's the main thing," Kelly said."It really doesn't matter who is playing we could be playing the Australian side and it wouldn't matter it's still just a trial."

Kelly will be out to impress against the Sharks, with the former Cronulla player in a tight battle with Adrian Purtell, Phil Graham, Justin Carney and Joel Monaghan for a position in the outside backs.

But Kelly said the trial would give him an opportunity to show the Raiders coaching panel what he has to offer.

"There are a few spots in the side where a lot of blokes are going for the same position.

"I just have to play well we're playing three thirds and I'll play one third in the centres and one third in the back row I used to play there, it's only since I came to Canberra that I've been on the wing."
LINK

skeepe

Immortal

Yeah pretty much. I'll try to remember the teams as best I can... wasn't easy because there were no team sheets or anything handed out or really printed anywhere, just using my memory here..

Canberra:
1. Josh Dugan
2. Sam Huihahau
3. Brett Kelly
4. Brad Cross
5. Justin Carney
6. Josh McCrone
7. Matt Smith
8. Cy Lasscock
9. Stuart Flanagan
10. Daniel Joyce
11. Jarrad Kennedy
12. Joel Thomspon
13. Jarrad Croker

14. Daniel Vidot
15. Drury Low
17. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
20. Travis Waddell
25. Michael Brophy
Nick Skinner
Matt Britt
Lewis Balcombe
Andrew Edwards
Michael Picker
Zac Russ
James Stuart

For the Sharks team I'm going off their website so don't blame me if it's inaccurate (which it is because they had more players than listed)!

1 - Ben Orcher
2 - Blake Ferguson
3 - Nathan Stapleton
4 - Ricky Leutele
5 - Phil Latu
6 - Shane Pumipi
7 - Jonathan Tavinor
8 - Jonny Mannah - Blake Williamson
9 - Terence Seu Seu - Tony Caine
10 - Joe Falamaka - Ryan Verlinden
11 - Atelea Vea
12 - Jack Bosden
13 - Aiden Howard

Frederick

Staff member
Star recruits missing but hot talent shines

Adrian Proszenko at Seiffert Oval | January 25, 2009

Canberra 32 Cronulla 12

RICKY STUART picked up a clipboard for the first time since that blow-up. It was also the first outing for David Furner as an NRL coach, although there was not much NRL talent at his disposal at Seiffert Oval last night.

Canberra coach Furner and Cronulla counterpart Stuart used the first unofficial trial for 2009 to cast their eyes over a bunch of youngsters and journeymen hoping to impress before the season proper kicks off in about seven weeks.

It's fair to say that Greg Bird wasn't the only superstar missing from the Sharks line-up. There was no sign of the recruits.

No Trent Barrett. No Anthony Tupou. No Reni Maitua. The trio was spared a hit-out in Canberra's sweltering heat, a description seldom used in describing rugby league conditions in the nation's capital.

Of the 17 men on the Sharks team list only one name was familiar. Tony Caine. Remember Tony Caine? The former Sharks and Dragons hooker destined for superstardom.

That was until the day Steve Price charged down one of his kicks and left his leg hanging at right angles.

Not long afterwards he retired, a promising career seemingly cut short until he resurfaced last night to score the Sharks' second try.

The first was scored by John Mannah, who appears to be as good a prospect as his brother, Parramatta NYC captain Tim.

The Raiders fielded 25 men for the contest. Sadly, they only finished with 24.

Cy Lasscock lasted just 10 minutes, the first casualty of the new year.

The big prop fell awkwardly, dislocated his knee and was carried from the field where it was popped back into place. He will have scans tomorrow.

To say the proceedings were informal is an understatement. Tries weren't converted. A Canberra forward relieved himself on the side of the paddock just before kick-off. There were three orange breaks. And while no one will remember the final scoreline (Canberra prevailed 32-12), a couple of performances were memorable.

Furner enjoyed the experience.

"It signals the comp is just around the corner," he said. "I was pretty excited. I know some of the players were looking forward to the game and the coaches were, too."

Asked about getting one up on his old teammate Stuart, he said, "It is only a trial.

"It would be nice to be in a situation to take a proper two points."

The Raiders scored four tries in an eight-minute burst, two by prodigal son Josh McCrone. The young half returned to the Raiders after a stint at Penrith and appears worthy of future opportunities.

Raiders prop Daniel Joyce attempted to shoulder charge everything in sight, with mixed success. The kid is a monster.

And comeback kid Caine was probably the best on ground.

There was some good talent on show and Furner and Stuart saw some of the stars of tomorrow.
LINK

:lol:

Timmah

Staff member
I enjoyed the line after it... "while noone will remember the score (Canberra won 32-12)" :lol:

You're right, noone will remember it :sarcasm:

Timmah

Staff member
no one, sorry - same sh*t.

And he's contradicted himself within a sentence :fist: that's my point.

Timmah

Staff member
Just contacted South Sydney, they have informed me that the Charity Shield will not be on FOX or Nine, but on Fuel TV (Channel 516) as a result of big sports programming that evening (A-League final, RSA/AUS cricket, S14)

Timmah

Staff member
SUNDAY'S opening NRL trial match at Redfern will be played as quarters to help combat the expected near 40 degrees temperatures in Sydney.
South Sydney coach Jason Taylor said he will use as many as 20 players in the Rabbitohs' first game of 2009 when they tackle Wests Tigers in a front of capacity 'members only' crowd.
Extra trainers will also be available to ensure the predicted heatwave conditions don't affect the players' health.
"The players are excited, the ground will be full with members only so we are very excited about it," said Taylor.
"We will use over 20 players and it is a four quarter match.
"Obviously we will put extra trainers on with water and things like that. It is important because obviously we don't want to have anybody have some sort of heat issue."
While Taylor won't play all his stars, Tigers coach Tim Sheens has said both Benji Marshall and new English recruit Gareth Ellis will play on Sunday.
The February 8 clash is one of the earliest NRL trials of the year and is one of three preseason games for Taylor's Bunnies.
They will play Penrith in Coffs Harbour next week followed by the Charity Shield against Wayne Bennett's St George Illawarra side at ANZ Stadium on February 28.
Souths won last year's clash 24-20 and speaking at the Charity Shield launch on Tuesday both Bennett and Taylor revealed they would field full strength sides for this year's encounter.

"We love the Charity Shield. It is always against a team that is pretty close to full strength," said Taylor.
"(But) it will still be a game we will be working hard on putting into practice things we've worked on since last November.
"We want a really strong performance in the Charity Shield to carry that onto round one."
Taylor said the club's main goal for 2009 would be to improve consistency after last year's horror start ended any hopes of replicating their 2007 run to the finals.

"I just want us to fulfill our potential this year," he said.
"I just want us to be playing as well as we can each week.
"That is the goal and if we do that we will get a good result at the end of the year. We let ourselves down in that area last year."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25002576-5006066,00.html

Latest posts