What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 AFL Grand Final: Collingwood v St Kilda

Pick the Winner

• Collingwood

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

meltiger

First Grade
Have their been 3 drawn GFs in 112 years? Yes/No?

Has there been 3 drawn Grand Finals in 63 years, yes/no

PS: 1897 is the only seasons in VFL/AFL history where a GF was not played.

Stop lying

PPS: Why get technical on this aspect when you are using VFL history in your own argument? The name 'AFL' is merely a name change to reflect interstate teams.

Because you are the one harping on people not being accurate.

The first AFL Grand Final was in 1990 Yes/No ?

Stylus

Juniors
Has there been 3 drawn Grand Finals in 63 years, yes/no

Yes.
Has there been 3 drawn Grand Finals in 112 years? Yes/No?

Stop lying

Not sure why you keep saying this, 1897 is the only year without a GF. Get a clue.

Because you are the one harping on people not being accurate.

The first AFL Grand Final was in 1990 Yes/No ?

Well if you are going to be inaccurate, be ready to be pulled up on it.

The first Grand Final labelled as an AFL Grand Final was in 1990, Yes. But again, that not not relevant to anything being discussed therefore I conclude you have run thin of argument and are pushing meaningless points in an attempt to sound intelligent.

meltiger

First Grade
Yes.
Has there been 3 drawn Grand Finals in 112 years? Yes/No?

Yes, this is inclusive of seasons where a Grand Final wasn't played, so it is a completely irrelevant stat.

Not sure why you keep saying this,

Because unlike you, I am no liar.

1897 is the only year without a GF.

Stop lying

Get a clue.

"Get a clue" lol ...

The new finals system caused problems in 1901 when Geelong finished on top of the ladder but was immediately eliminated when defeated in the semi final. A "right of challenge" was introduced, giving the team that finished on top at the end of the regular season (the minor premier) the right to challenge if they lost the semi final or the final. This challenge match came to be called the "grand final".

How about you stop lying?

Well if you are going to be inaccurate, be ready to be pulled up on it.

My post was 100% accurate, there have been 3 drawn Grand Finals in 63 years. Just because you don't like the stat, doesn't make it not true.

Particularly when you are a liar.

The first Grand Final labelled as an AFL Grand Final was in 1990, Yes.

Thank you for correcting your error.

But again, that not not relevant to anything being discussed

You claimed the only year there wasn't an AFL Grand Final was 1897. As proven twice in this post, you sir, are a liar.

Last edited:

Stylus

Juniors

It is not worth responding to each point you make, if you can call them points. But despite what your wikipedia entry may tell you, Grand Finals have been played since 1898. Upon further research, it seems there was not one played in 1924 either, but other than that, a grand final has been played every year, despite what it may have been called at the time. A grand final is just a name to describe the final that determines the league champion.

There is no argument to be had here. Whether it is 3 in 112 years, 3 in 111 years or 3 in 109 years (going by you claim GFs began in 1901), 3 in 63 is plainly misleading.

meltiger

First Grade
It is not worth responding to each point you make, if you can call them points.

Because you are reluctant to admit you are a liar?

But despite what your wikipedia entry may tell you

How much would you like to wager that if I go home and open up my 100 years of the VFL/AFL book from 1996 we'll find the wikipedia entry is lifted directly from there?

Grand Finals have been played since 1898.

No. Try again. Read the history of your sport, it's not that hard a concept to understand.

Upon further research, it seems there was not one played in 1924 either

So every year bar 1897 was certainly a blatant lie?

but other than that, a grand final has been played every year, despite what it may have been called at the time. A grand final is just a name to describe the final that determines the league champion.

No. Some years had a final, some had a challenge game referred to as a "Grand Final". What are you not understanding here?

There is no argument to be had here.

No there is no argument to be had, there have been 3 drawn GF's in 63 years. End of story.

Stylus

Juniors
Random rants

You go home and read whatever book you like, it doesn't change anything. You are clutching at straws now. I couldn't care less if the actual number is 112, 111 or 109. The only important fact is that it certainly is not 63.

meltiger

First Grade
The only important fact is that it certainly is not 63.

1948.... 2010

If it's all too hard for you, try counting it out in blocks of 5 using your fingers like all good pre-schoolers do.

Registered April, not a single post until today.

What is your BF username genius? Maybe we could ask some of the members over there to chip in for some basic addition classes for you?

I'll start, PM me your addy and I'll post you a $5 dollar note, can be damn near certain that's $5 more than was ever spent on your education.

Xman

Bench
1948.... 2010

If it's all too hard for you, try counting it out in blocks of 5 using your fingers like all good pre-schoolers do.

What is your BF username genius? Maybe we could ask some of the members over there to chip in for some basic addition classes for you?

I'll start, PM me your addy and I'll post you a $5 dollar note, can be damn near certain that's $5 more than was ever spent on your education.

If there were no draws up until last year we would then have had 2 in two years. By your logic that means we have a draw every year!

Stylus

Juniors
1948.... 2010

Petty insults add nothing to your "argument".

Answer me this. Was there a grand final in 1947? 1946? 1936? 1926? You have already admitted to one in 1901, but I await your answer to my question.

STFU

Juniors
lol

So which BF troll are you? Own up. My money is on you being an Essendon supporter but I'm open to be suprised.

Seriously, f**k off if you can't debate the issue. I didn't attack one single individual in this thread, yet you come in and launch at me. Be a man and own up to whoever the f**k you are coward.

I may troll incessantly at times, bar for one recent effort on a board I'm banned on, at least I'm not a coward hiding behind an alias...

PS 1948... 2010 = 63 seasons ...

Lol, the old bf troll routine...:shock:

So a wikipedia quote is fine by you?

The concept of a "grand" final gradually evolved from experimentation by the Victorian Football League (VFL) in the initial years of competition following its inception in 1897. During the nineteenth century, Australian football competition adopted the approach used by the Football Association in England - that is, the team on top of the table (or "ladder" in the Australian vernacular) was declared the premiers. However, the fledgling VFL decided that a finals series played between the top four teams at the end of the season would generate more interest and gate money. For 1897, the VFL scheduled a round robin tournament whereby the top four played each other once and the team that won the most matches was declared the winner.
However, this method had flaws, so the VFL continued to experiment, playing "section" matches after the regular season and then a finals series where first on the ladder played the third team and second met fourth. The winners of these "semi" finals then met in a final to decide the premiership. The first such final was contested in 1898 between the Essendon Football Club and Fitzroy Football Club at the St Kilda Cricket Ground, which Fitzroy won scoring 5.8 (38) to Essendon's 3.5 (23).

In my initial post I referred to the final game as the "main final" you may call it a grand final, does not make one iota difference...

meltiger

First Grade
Was there a grand final in 1901? You are whinging about petty insults? LOL re read what you and your BF buddy entered this thread with - Direct attacks on me when I had done no such thing myself, you two pillow biters dragged the thread down to that point so don't blame me. I can absolutely assure you however that I neither give a flying what you two say to me or have any issue participating in your little game, so bring it. I can quite easily sit here for a week and play this game with you both. Which realistically, I AM going to do until one if you gives up coward street and admit who you are.....

3 in 63, factually accurate whether you like it or not.....

meltiger

First Grade
Main Finals? Who gives a f**k about main finals. GRAND FINALS are the issue at hand, but at least whilst remaining a coward and refusing to admit who you are, you have at the least admitted they haven't been playing GRAND FINALS for 100 years. Credit to you for that.

Shame your partner can't do the same.

C'mon cowards, admit who you are.

meltiger

First Grade
FWIW "the concept of a grand final gradually evolved". I love it when people provide source material that make them look like arse clowns...

STFU

Juniors
Don't take life so serious...:roll:

Did you not read the article? Not only do you possess selective reading but your referral to bf trolls is tiresome.

Is that your plan of attack when you don't agree with another poster?

You can debate for a week couldn't care less, I made my point and unlike you my life doesn't revolve around a "forum life" where I jump at shadows, I've noticed the credibility you have around here, so I need not bother with your antics

Mad Fish

Juniors
So basically there has been 3 drawn deciders in roughly 100 such games. Why are you arguing about it? It's still a rarity

lockyno1

Post Whore
Pretty much. I like the notion of a draw as well. This week will be special. Already have my tickets (8 of them, I probably will sell 2 of them though as 2 people may not be able to go).

meltiger

First Grade
Don't take life so serious...:roll:

haha

When is it going to sink into those thick little heads of your partner and yourself that I have exactly zero interest in debating the issue with two twits who entered the thread, after having zero posts on this forum ever and launched into a personal attack immediately.

I don't really care what you have to say about me, because at the end of the day, who the f**k are you? But if you think I'm going to take you seriously? ... :lol:

I'm taking the piss. You talk about a "Lack of comprehension" ... Yes kiddo, that would be because for the large part I'm not reading your posts, I'm taking one line and run with it. I really have no interest in your opinions whatsoever.

But you continue on hiding behind an alias, playing the man not the issue and expect to participate in a serious discussion ... :lol:

But hey, you just keep on entertaining me, the work day would be boring without fish like yourselves...

So basically there has been 3 drawn deciders in roughly 100 such games. Why are you arguing about it? It's still a rarity

No, there has been 3 in the last 65 deciders across 63 seasons. Almost 1 in 20, enough of a concern for a rule change.

Except of course for Vlad's cheerleaders.

Last edited: