What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
The SFS was quite amazing today for an atmosphere, it exploded any time either team make a break or scored.

To anyone who denies that the saints/raiders game was close to 50:50, you don't need to look much further than this for proof. Deadset, hang your heads in shame Canberra.

:lol: Yeah no worries, 10,000 Stain fans. Now I agree the crowd was poor last night as we were expecting higher number due to the recent run of form, but playing Nth Queensland means very little of their fans, guaranteeing at least 10,000 Raiders fans there. The weather at night was extremely cold, and of course the Cowboys are bottom of the ladder + playing like sh*t.

On a sunny Canberra afternoon playing the top of the table team and with the game from last year providing a bit of a rivalry, you'd be pretty stupid to think there were only 10,000 Raiders fans there

meltiger

First Grade
:sarcasm:

Leichhardt was a 20k+ sell out v an out of town team who due to their circumstances, brought a few but not many fans to the game. (Yes I was at Leichhardt and there would have been no more than a few hundred of them)

Easts V Manly, two Sydney teams in the top 8 draw 18k at an all seater stadium being the SFS

Would seem people prefer the suburban grounds...

adamkungl

Immortal
:lol: Yeah no worries, 10,000 Stain fans. Now I agree the crowd was poor last night as we were expecting higher number due to the recent run of form, but playing Nth Queensland means very little of their fans, guaranteeing at least 10,000 Raiders fans there. The weather at night was extremely cold, and of course the Cowboys are bottom of the ladder + playing like sh*t.

On a sunny Canberra afternoon playing the top of the table team and with the game from last year providing a bit of a rivalry, you'd be pretty stupid to think there were only 10,000 Raiders fans there

Fact is, nobody except Brisbane gives a crap about playing Nth QLD. It's the non-event of the season, each and every year, for almost every team. Booooooring.

meltiger

First Grade
^ we seem to draw half decent crowds against them mate

*Edit to my prior post, should have said 19k at Moore Park, not 18

Red Bear

Referee
Crowd looks awesome. Which they'd renovate that sh*thole though
Redevelop Leichhardt and it loses its appeal. The reason it gets such excellent crowds, particularly on a Sunday arvo, is the retro feel of the place. Its a very organic form of rugby league/sport you dont get often in these days of modern all seater ground. Scenic surrounds, Massive hill, surrounded by the houses of any normal suburb, very close to the action. You redevelop that ground and suddenly the whole reason everyone loves it so much is gone.

Sure, there could probably be a few comfort upgrades eg toilets canteens or whatnot, but you cant change the character of a ground like Leichhardt, or it ceases to become Leichhardt.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Redevelop Leichhardt and it loses its appeal. The reason it gets such excellent crowds, particularly on a Sunday arvo, is the retro feel of the place. Its a very organic form of rugby league/sport you dont get often in these days of modern all seater ground. Scenic surrounds, Massive hill, surrounded by the houses of any normal suburb, very close to the action. You redevelop that ground and suddenly the whole reason everyone loves it so much is gone.

Sure, there could probably be a few comfort upgrades eg toilets canteens or whatnot, but you cant change the character of a ground like Leichhardt, or it ceases to become Leichhardt.

You could do it ith taste as North Sydney Oval was developed.

Brutus

Referee
Leichhardt was a 20k+ sell out v an out of town team who due to their circumstances, brought a few but not many fans to the game. (Yes I was at Leichhardt and there would have been no more than a few hundred of them)

Easts V Manly, two Sydney teams in the top 8 draw 18k at an all seater stadium being the SFS

Would seem people prefer the suburban grounds...

And if the Tigers happened to play all 12 of their games at Leichhardt?

Leichhardt works perfectly under the current ground-splitting arrangement.

oval

Juniors
The SFS was quite amazing today for an atmosphere, it exploded any time either team make a break or scored.

I agree. I was impressed by the support given for both clubs. I was sitting in the Manly supporters bay and looking over towards the main roosters section was pretty cool - they got real fired up when the roosters jumped ahead of Manly! Good day out, shame about the result...

Perth Red

Post Whore
And if the Tigers happened to play all 12 of their games at Leichhardt?

Leichhardt works perfectly under the current ground-splitting arrangement.

it's good for the nostalgics and novelty. As long as its not raining and preferably a sunny Sunday afternoon it works well for now.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: Dragons crowd average is a whole 500 more than Easts. I guess that makes Dragons support low...

Saints' away crowd = 6,000 more than Roosters' away crowd. Only the fact Saints have two small grounds keeps them from being the best supported team in Sydney.

ByRd

First Grade
Saints' away crowd = 6,000 more than Roosters' away crowd. Only the fact Saints have two small grounds keeps them from being the best supported team in Sydney.
I dont believe that is true, Saints have good support around the country but in Sydney, the Bulldogs and Tigers (and to an extent the Eels) can generate more support, if Bulldogs put back to back seasons like the Dragons have, our average will push 25k, the dragons have trouble packing out a 18k capacity stadium

adamkungl

Immortal
I dont believe that is true, Saints have good support around the country but in Sydney, the Bulldogs and Tigers (and to an extent the Eels) can generate more support, if Bulldogs put back to back seasons like the Dragons have, our average will push 25k, the dragons have trouble packing out a 18k capacity stadium

Tim is more Dragon than Bulldog now.....twisted and evil.

dragondad

First Grade
We will see what our crowds are like next year with no Wollongong. Apparently we are going to play some out of SCG/SFS

HowHigh

Coach
We will see what our crowds are like next year with no Wollongong. Apparently we are going to play some out of SCG/SFS
I'm pretty sure we get games in Wollongong for the second half of the season, unless I miss-read and its 2012.

Latest posts