What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
He probably meant the Saints game lol.

And someone asked the last time Canberra played in front of that many?

1994 Grand Final v Canterbury @ SFS.

Canberra fans giving stick about crowds when their last home game had more away supporters than home ones.

Corporate boxes were packed and so was the top tier on the western side.

Crowds only looks bad because of the Stadium members that don't show up.

:lol: I guess you're talking about the Dragons game, and no there was not more away supporters than home ones. If we got upwards of 10,000 home fans for the Cowboys game, how many do you think we got at the Dragons??

A little bit of maths for you

Broncos crowd: 38000/2000000 x 100 = 1.9%
Raiders crowd: 11000/350000 x 100 = 3.14% (vs the Cowboys, in freezing conditions, with basically no away crowd)

applesauce

Bench
:lol: I guess you're talking about the Dragons game, and no there was not more away supporters than home ones. If we got upwards of 10,000 home fans for the Cowboys game, how many do you think we got at the Dragons??

A little bit of maths for you

Broncos crowd: 38000/2000000 x 100 = 1.9%
Raiders crowd: 11000/350000 x 100 = 3.14% (vs the Cowboys, in freezing conditions, with basically no away crowd)

Add to that the fact that Brisbane actually have other sh*t to do in the town besides football and riverfire is on tomorrow night. There are 4 codes of football, 1 cricket team and 1 netball team playing out of the 1 city (horses for courses) and you will find that ratio back in the Broncos favour.

You guys have everything to play for (last week and this week) going by the last 8 games. We had no momentum, no Locky and needed an unrealistic win and results to go our way to get through.....

GCR

Juniors
There are 4 codes of football, 1 cricket team and 1 netball team playing out of the 1 city (horses for courses) and you will find that ratio back in the Broncos favour.

So the Broncos are losing supporters to the local netball team now? Ouch!

Add to that the fact that Brisbane actually have other sh*t to do in the town besides football and riverfire is on tomorrow night. There are 4 codes of football, 1 cricket team and 1 netball team playing out of the 1 city (horses for courses) and you will find that ratio back in the Broncos favour.

You guys have everything to play for (last week and this week) going by the last 8 games. We had no momentum, no Locky and needed an unrealistic win and results to go our way to get through.....

:lol: :lol: Oh dear, Riverfire and the netball!!

Even if you took off half a million, HALF A MILLION from that population we would still have a better crowd ratio than the Horses

GCR

Juniors
The Broncos have increased there average crowd by over 1,000 this season so we stole their supporters.

Must've been all those worried single mothers who were fed up with the brutality of netball and wanted their kiddies to watch something gentler - like the Broncos forward pack :lol:

Timmah

Staff member

Wait wait... I'm swapping sides here. I stepped in and defending the 38k crowd... now I'm not so sure.

Queenslanders consistently rip on Sydney/NSW crowds and when excuses like a crowded marketplace, other sports, events etc are given, we're shouted down and laughed off. Suddenly now it's an excuse for Queensland?

Watch the Broncos miss the finals a few years running... watch the crowds fall then.

applesauce

Bench
Wait wait... I'm swapping sides here. I stepped in and defending the 38k crowd... now I'm not so sure.

Queenslanders consistently rip on Sydney/NSW crowds and when excuses like a crowded marketplace, other sports, events etc are given, we're shouted down and laughed off. Suddenly now it's an excuse for Queensland?

Watch the Broncos miss the finals a few years running... watch the crowds fall then.

I am just using the NSW argument of the Broncos are the only team in Brisbane blah blah unfair unfair blah blah.

Canberra have 2 teams and nothing else to do in the town. They should adding more to their crowds with their current form...

Timmah

Staff member
No doubt about that... Canberra fans have little right to bag opposition crowds, only Cronulla are worse than them.

I am just using the NSW argument of the Broncos are the only team in Brisbane blah blah unfair unfair blah blah.

Canberra have 2 teams and nothing else to do in the town. They should adding more to their crowds with their current form...

No AFL, no Union, no Cricket on. Some non-sporting festival that is on the next day and the netball :lol: (is it on?) are your excuses. In a traditional rugby league strong hold, it's piss poor no matter which way you put it

Oh and the old "nothing to do in Canberra" act has been used been before and failed, get something new

No doubt about that... Canberra fans have little right to bag opposition crowds, only Cronulla are worse than them.

Oh dear Timmah, you were doing so well. Only difference maybe that there are 4.5 million people at Cronulla's disposal?

Timmah

Staff member
:lol: That's the stupidest statement I've seen in a long time :lol:

351,000 people to draw from (and that doesn't include Queanbeyan or any NSW suburbs, or surrounding areas like Goulburn, Yass and Bungendore)... and still one of the worst averages in the league.

applesauce

Bench
:lol: :lol: Oh dear, Riverfire and the netball!!

Even if you took off half a million, HALF A MILLION from that population we would still have a better crowd ratio than the Horses

Get your head out of the sand.

Just because one isn't a sport it still costs money and draws over 500,000 people to the CBD, cliffs, gardens and southbank. It is an annual festival that is a big effort, costs money but it well worth the night out. Considering the budgets families these days run under you don't think this has some influence on the choice between a night out with the family at riverfire vs. a dead rubber Broncos match after a week at work against the lowest drawing side in the comp???

And the point I was making about other sports is the diversity of our city compared to Canberra allows every man, WOMEN and child to have a choice of their favourite sport without the need to be pigeon-holed to a form of rugby like in Canberra. :roll:

It wasn't so much the volume of clubs I was eluding to but the variety, which can take fans away from the sport rather than just a club.

Latest posts