What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I honestly don't think we have 20000 supporters unfortunately :(

We have to rely on a few dozen bus loads from Canberra to sell out.

Chook Norris

First Grade
i cringe to think what penrith would draw in a prelim final at ANZ against say.. the Warriors

anyone know what the panther's last finals game crowd was?

Red Bear

Referee
i cringe to think what penrith would draw in a prelim final at ANZ against say.. the Warriors

anyone know what the panther's last finals game crowd was?
They got 43174 to the prelim final against NZ in 2003, after getting 18534 in the home final in week one (altho they had a few 20K crowds that season).

21,963 against Saints at home in 2004, then just under 38K against the Bulldogs at the SFS (when the genius' had Penrith home prelim at SFS and Easts home prelim at ANZ).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Red Bear if I remember correctly that was to avoid either side having a home ground advantage, for whatever reason I'm not sure.

FINAL CROWD STATS are now available in the stickied 2010 Crowd Statistics thread at the top of the NRL forum :D

Teddyboy

First Grade
Shocked with the Melbourne crowd and just think the narrow minded AFL gits need to get a life(wish Victoria could just break off from the rest of Australia).
I know i been all doom and gloom about the crowds this year but all i was saying that a lot of the rounds would have 2 good crowds with 2 ok crowds and the rest pretty poor but we still have broken the record for crowds this season so imagine what records would be broken if the NRL had at least 8 teams pulling reg crowds of 15000 -20000.
b

parano1a

Juniors
To everyone bagging the Storm crowd, did you know that half of Victoria was flooded this weekend? Torrential rain scared off a lot of fans from all codes.

The Melbourne Heart only got 4,000 on Saturday night, and the AFL Finals figures were well down on expectations (only 66,000 for Collingwood's qualifying final)

Many people would've bought $1 tickets for the form, saw the rain forecast, and thought, oh well its only $1. 20,000 was a good result for a meaningless game especially when the Sydney v Carlton final was live on TV at the same time.

Goddo

Bench
Shocked with the Melbourne crowd and just think the narrow minded AFL gits need to get a life(wish Victoria could just break off from the rest of Australia).
I know i been all doom and gloom about the crowds this year but all i was saying that a lot of the rounds would have 2 good crowds with 2 ok crowds and the rest pretty poor but we still have broken the record for crowds this season so imagine what records would be broken if the NRL had at least 8 teams pulling reg crowds of 15000 -20000.
b

You sir are a moron.
Storm crowd was good, but by the looks of things the weather kept a lot of the $1 ticket holders away. Otherwise, an excellent year for the Storm, who have increased their average attendence by rougly 3000 despite all the controvercy and the spoon.

Crowds have been good this year, and to your 15-20k comment, have a look at the average attendences. Broncos, Bulldogs, Tigers, Titans, Rabbitohs, Eels, Dragons, Roosters all got averages >15k, and the Knights (with stadium issues) and the Storm fell just short. Both these teams will pull more than 15k next year easily.

Cowboys crowds are fair given the season they had. Manly are operating at a small home capacity of around 16k, so their average is fairly respectable in that light. The Warriors had a lot of bad weather games this year and are excuseable because their in another country.

The problem teams crowd-wise are Canberra, Cronulla and Penrith. These 3 have been for a long time.

Canberra has 350k people, but its not really a RL friendly demographic - its the city with the lowest average age, the highest average education, and highest movement rate of people. Its a city with young educated people drawn to government jobs from all over Australia. So you would say a lot of them would be from southern states, and the rest probably aren't that keen on football to start with.
AFL and soccer would really struggle to draw more than a 14k average in this city too. Look at the Brumbies, not much better. That and Bruce Stadium on a cold July night is horrible. I don't think the Raiders/NRL do enough to promote and support the club though.

Cronulla, well they are playing terrible football, and they have no money. Its an area where there are quite a few young families with loyalties to other clubs, so despite 300k in the Shire, the actual market for the Sharks is much smaller, don't forget there is the trendy beach shire crowd too, who probably don't care about football. They are sandwiched in between the Dragons which doesn't help.

Penrith is a bit similar to the Sharks in that there are a lot of people with loyalties to other clubs in the area, but they really should be doing a lot better. They use the "people don't support us" argument, but they have been around for 40 years, have a good stadium, a couple of premierships and a very profitable leagues club. They should be kicking @rse with crowds.

Teddyboy

First Grade
You sir are a moron.
Storm crowd was good, but by the looks of things the weather kept a lot of the $1 ticket holders away. Otherwise, an excellent year for the Storm, who have increased their average attendence by rougly 3000 despite all the controvercy and the spoon.

Crowds have been good this year, and to your 15-20k comment, have a look at the average attendences. Broncos, Bulldogs, Tigers, Titans, Rabbitohs, Eels, Dragons, Roosters all got averages >15k, and the Knights (with stadium issues) and the Storm fell just short. Both these teams will pull more than 15k next year easily.

Cowboys crowds are fair given the season they had. Manly are operating at a small home capacity of around 16k, so their average is fairly respectable in that light. The Warriors had a lot of bad weather games this year and are excuseable because their in another country.

The problem teams crowd-wise are Canberra, Cronulla and Penrith. These 3 have been for a long time.

Canberra has 350k people, but its not really a RL friendly demographic - its the city with the lowest average age, the highest average education, and highest movement rate of people. Its a city with young educated people drawn to government jobs from all over Australia. So you would say a lot of them would be from southern states, and the rest probably aren't that keen on football to start with.
AFL and soccer would really struggle to draw more than a 14k average in this city too. Look at the Brumbies, not much better. That and Bruce Stadium on a cold July night is horrible. I don't think the Raiders/NRL do enough to promote and support the club though.

Cronulla, well they are playing terrible football, and they have no money. Its an area where there are quite a few young families with loyalties to other clubs, so despite 300k in the Shire, the actual market for the Sharks is much smaller, don't forget there is the trendy beach shire crowd too, who probably don't care about football. They are sandwiched in between the Dragons which doesn't help.

Penrith is a bit similar to the Sharks in that there are a lot of people with loyalties to other clubs in the area, but they really should be doing a lot better. They use the "people don't support us" argument, but they have been around for 40 years, have a good stadium, a couple of premierships and a very profitable leagues club. They should be kicking @rse with crowds.

f**k off with the moran bit you tosser but what you say is true and agree with you about most of teams crowds.The Bulldogs and Souths get good crowds but sadly it is lost on that f**king eyesore of an Olympic white elephant stadium and i always liked the proposed idea of Souths playing out of a 16000 upgraded Redfern.
I don't get it when people want to cull Manly as they can get good crowds and the Knights are not a problem as it's there play and there ground getting tarted up.

I have read about the Gold Coast problem and iam sure the f**king AFL will be laughing at it but in truth i have heard that the Titans tickets are a bit to steep but also the Titans crowds when the played at Carrara in where between 15000-17000 so to get 20000 plus in a couple of years in a 27000 seater staduim is a a pretty hard job to do so in truth the Titans pulling 16000 is a good thing it's just the stadium has raised the bar to high to quickly alongside all seater stadiums can show more empty spaces then somewhere like Kograh or Campbelltown.

ouwet

Bench
21,963 against Saints at home in 2004, then just under 38K against the Bulldogs at the SFS (when the genius' had Penrith home prelim at SFS and Easts home prelim at ANZ).

Oh yes what a great game that was! Let's be honest about that game though... There was 1 and a half bays of Penrith supporters... Rest were Bulldog supporters! It was a sea of Blue & White!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't get it when people want to cull Manly as they can get good crowds .

so 20k at Melbourne given the season they have had was a disgrace and 16k at Manly for a playoff chasing team against another Sydney team is good? I concur, you are a moron! :)

franklin2323

Immortal
CUA will sellout only 2 bays left in Eastern Grandstand. Single seats in terrace. Get your tickets tomorrow if you plan on attending

franklin2323

Immortal
Where did all the fans come from? Are there that many raiders fans making the trek?

A heap are coming down from QLD, NZ and the country. I didn't look at the Raiders fans bays just the Eastern stand. We have fans it's just a huge section don't live in Penrith so struggle to make some home games. Generally the case moves to better locations for work etc

Latest posts