What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

shewi6

Juniors
On Nrl.com, it has been confimed that the dragons will play there PF at ANZ stadium. Now i really hope that the tigpies beat the faiders so we can maybe break the crowd record again this year.

Predictions:

Dragons-Raiders: Maybe 50 000 max. Probably about 8 to 10 thousand raiders fans, 5k neutrals and about 30 to 35 thousand saints.

Dragons-Tigers: easily 60k minimum, 30 thou saints and tigers fans, maybe upto 10k neutrals.

And on a sidenote, if the tigers win i hope they split the ground in half like they did for the eels/dogs game last year. How amazing would it look with 1 half red and white with the other side black and gold?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Do we know if the NRL restricted the crowd at Kogarah??? At CUA 20k was the max.
I'm not aware of any NRL restriction. Interesting if there was one. The official NRL crowd figure was under by at least 3,000.

The police restriction was 18,000 but that seemed to be getting relaxed a little.

franklin2323 said:
Even if not there was no Manly fans there and also Kogarah is a bastard to get to unless you live nearby
It was a 4:00pm kick off on a Sunday.

Yes it's miles away from the north shore. ;-)

docbrown

Coach
On Nrl.com, it has been confimed that the dragons will play there PF at ANZ stadium. Now i really hope that the tigpies beat the faiders so we can maybe break the crowd record again this year.

Finally some common sense!!! Need about 25,000 at Roosters/Panthers, 25,000 at Raiders/Tigers, 50,000 at Suncorp and 50,000 at ANZ. It'll be close.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Surley the 30-35k saints fans you mention would prefer Kogarah.
Do you think there was going to be 35,000 for Dragons v Sea Eagles in Week One?

You really can't grasp the difference between Week One and Week Three of the finals?

Quite frankly Brutus, I find your hatred of Kogarah to be confirmation that we are doing it right.

But the home final is over now. It was Week One, and we earned it. It's a shame you couldn't get out to the game to form a valued opinion, much easier to have a moan in front of the TV.

Now we Saints supporters are comfortable in abiding by the system at hand for Week Three, and here's hoping for a big crowd.

Some of us can accept the venue rules as they are laid down at the beginning of the season, and we get out to games and cheer for the teams. Others can't accept the rules and choose to whinge about it at the greatest time of year for rugby league.

shewi6

Juniors
Surley the 30-35k saints fans you mention would prefer Kogarah.

yes unfortunately they would cos then when they choke at the PF they can blame the fact they weren't at home:p

but seriously, as much as i hate it, the dragons are entitled to play at kogarah for wk1. even though they should realise they could get 30 000 of their fans to the sfs easily.

Brutus

Referee
Do you think there was going to be 35,000 for Dragons v Sea Eagles in Week One?

No, not for that particular game.

However the potential for much bigger crowds exists when other teams are involved in a game against the Dragons, and I'm not just talking in week one of finals either.

Just out of interest

Round 20 1991, Kogarah Oval

Manly Warringah 20 d St George 18 crowd 20,050

What happened guys, you didn't even make the finals in 1991 yet Kogarah was bursting at the seams for that one.

Last Sunday, Dragons are minor premiers and only 15.5k.

BTW, I understand the Dragons are entitled to play at home in week 1 of the finals. I just think the whole thing should be taken out of their hands and ever other clubs hands.

Last edited:

Spark Plug

Juniors

However the potential for much bigger crowds exists when other teams are involved in a game against the Dragons, and I'm not just talking in week one of finals either.

Just out of interest

What happened guys, you didn't even make the finals in 1991 yet Kogarah was bursting at the seams for that one.

BTW, I understand the Dragons are entitled to play at home in week 1 of the finals. I just think the whole thing should be taken out of their hands and ever other clubs hands.[/QUOTE]

So basically your'e saying that you would eradicate home semis altogether??

Good thing you are a nuffie.

Amazing stat by the way. :roll:

Brutus

Referee
I'd just do what they do in the fumbleball and play all Sydney 'home' finals out of either the SFS or ANZ (which ever suits best). Then all out of NSW teams play in their backyard if they earn it.

There was a time when ALL finals games were played out of the SFS and nobody complained.

I believe finals times should be for the big stadiums.

ouwet

Bench
The crowd figure posted at the game should not be accepted until it can be verified by a Saints fan conducting an informal head count.

:lol::lol: Willow, Gabba, Timmah (Who jumped on the Bandragon:roll::lol:).

Take your camera's... Take your pen and paper! Count that crowd!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Mate, you've been complaining about home finals and Kogarah for at least two seasons now. They've both been in Week One. It can only be this particular game that you are referring to.

I get that you want to have all finals matches at the bigger stadiums, even at the risk of having the half full attendances that look crap on TV. But you should be getting onto the NRL about that.

Clubs choosing where they play their home finals was already allowed by the NRL, the horse bolted some 10 months earlier. Rather than bringing it up at this same time every year, how are you going to change it?

Brutus said:
However the potential for much bigger crowds exists when other teams are involved in a game against the Dragons
Why just the Dragons? Is it because we have a big supporter base? Seems a tad unfair that we should lose a home ground advantage for being weel supported.
Brutus said:
and I'm not just talking in week one of finals either.
You've only brought it up because of Week One and this disputed notion that we didn't get a decent sized crowd. We're playing at Homebush next (Week Three). Should be plenty of elbow room and the home ground advantage well and truly negated. You should be overjoyed by that.
Brutus said:
Just out of interest

1991? lol.

We've had plenty of big crowds at Kogarah. And plenty of times the best of the round. I really can't see how plucking out a crowd figure from 19 years ago is relevant. Some of the readers here weren't even born.

Brutus said:
Well that figure is under dispute. But it does expose your hypocrisy. When it's a full house and fans can't get in, you want the game moved. When it's not a full house, you want the game moved. Each way bet regardless of the outcome.

Conclusion: You must really hate Kogarah.

Solutions: Haven't seen one yet. You just keep dictating where we should play.

What gets me is that you won't even go to Kogarah to make a proper judgment. Perhaps you're afraid that you'll be swayed by the great atmosphere and how good it is is for the game at the base level.

IMO, there are some things that are more important than making quick bucks through the gate. Apart from rewarding the loyal supporters, successful suburban venue means more local sponsorship, more local merchandise sales, looks great on the box. All of this is of greater benefit for the long term.

The NRL is (currently) saying that the first and second weeks of the finals can be dedicated to this greater good. The rest of the finals have to be played at the larger venues as the competition hots up. IMO, that's a good spread.

Brutus said:
BTW, I understand the Dragons are entitled to play at home in week 1 of the finals.
With respect, I don't think you're being honest with yourself there. IMO, you don't understand it. You've done nothing but criticise the venue and the decision to play there.
Brutus said:
I just think the whole thing should be taken out of their hands and ever other clubs hands.
That would only work if we did away with home finals altogether.

You can't have the NRL giving a home final to one club in the top four, but denying another. It would open itself up to unfair advantage and howls of protest.

For example, a team that came 4th can basically get a home ground advantage while a team that came 1st gets penalised for being too popular. The 8th placed team and their supporters are rewarded by being delivered a neutral venue. How is that fair?

You see, it's not workable. It has to be across the board with all teams playing at the neutral venues. Same rule for all. But that would probably damage the promotion of the game at the base level.

I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing the game to the suburbs and regional reas for the first two weeks of the finals.

I can see you don't agree, but by Week Three you'll forget it for another year.

Brutus

Referee
With respect, I don't think you're being honest with yourself there. IMO, you don't understand it. You've done nothing but criticise the venue and the decision to play there.That would only work if we did away with home finals altogether.

Willow, I fully undestand the current finals system and home ground situation just like a fully understand the systems of season's past.

I hold my view that a team like the Dragons with a big supporter base (as proven in several premiership games this season) should be biting the bullet and playing their 'home' final and bumper premiership games on the bigger stage. Play four of your regular season games at the SFS and then the SFS can be classified as a home venue just like it is for the Tigers.

If the Dragons didn't have a big supporter base then I wouldn't be targeting them.

Your club deserves better than 18,000 capacity grounds for big games.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If the Dragons didn't have a big supporter base then I wouldn't be targeting them.

Therefore taking away home ground advantage and penalising loyal supporters and the club for having a solid fan base. Not a fair outcome for any team that earned the right.

And thanks again for switching to the other side of your each way bet.

When it's a full house and fans can't get in, you want the game moved. When it's not a full house, you want the game moved. Each way bet regardless of the outcome.

Goddo

Bench
Willow, I fully undestand the current finals system and home ground situation just like a fully understand the systems of season's past.

I hold my view that a team like the Dragons with a big supporter base (as proven in several premiership games this season) should be biting the bullet and playing their 'home' final and bumper premiership games on the bigger stage. Play four of your regular season games at the SFS and then the SFS can be classified as a home venue just like it is for the Tigers.

Your club deserves better than 18,000 capacity grounds for big games.

It does nothing for the Dragons. It benefits the NRL by having more bums on seats (that assumes they actually sell more). No guarentee anyway.

The Dragons have a duty to their sponsors, corporates, members, fans, ground advertisers to play at Kogarah or WIN Stadium. They also make more money doing this, and also sell more beer at their Leagues clubs.

Other clubs would be no different. So long as the rule remains in place, clubs will do whats best for themselves. So get over it, or loby the NRL to change the rules.

The Tigers only played at the SFS because they were contractually obliged to, similar to the Swans at ANZ stadium this year.

dragondad

First Grade
Was just on Ticketek having a look at the sales for the Roosters v Penrith match and I'm not really surprised.

Im able to buy tickets into the best bay of Cat 1 Panthers area, the 3rd best Roosters Cat 1 Area (which is not too bad) and the 3rd best general Cat 1 area.

gronkathon

First Grade
Regardless of the game Saturdays crowd is guaranteed to be a blight on the game from two of the NRL's most pissweak fanbases

Latest posts