What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wain

Juniors
Case in point.

As for the earlier assertion of regular 20k crowds for RL in Adelaide, there was one 27k crowd and the rest were 17k or less... all at the same 34k capacity Adelaide Oval.

10k from 14k available is fantastic.

What's disgraceful is Manly only getting 10k in RL heartland, and Penrith today only drawing 9,983 with their form... really poor stuff when an Adelaide game between 12th and the spooners outdraws them.

exactly.

Im not here saying adelaide should have a team come next expansion...but that crowd was nothing to complain about when compared to the sydney crowds this week...we had 14th vs 16th with no home team.

for what its worth, my group were all shocked when they announced 10000...we thought there was at least 14,000.

doggies did good compared to other visiting teams. they did sessions with juniors and actually made a point of encouraging adelaide people to join up for memberships, i know they sold out of some merchandise on the night too.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
exactly.

Im not here saying adelaide should have a team come next expansion...but that crowd was nothing to complain about when compared to the sydney crowds this week...we had 14th vs 16th with no home team.

for what its worth, my group were all shocked when they announced 10000...we thought there was at least 14,000.

doggies did good compared to other visiting teams. they did sessions with juniors and actually made a point of encouraging adelaide people to join up for memberships, i know they sold out of some merchandise on the night too.

To be fair the 'Dogs were 12th and coming off two wins, and despite their position and the way they got there, the Storm are still one of the best NRL teams around.

I imagine the fact that half of AO is a construction zone would've further put people off too, so that's another pass mark for the city.

Your from the ground reports are all quite encouraging. I'd love to see us back in Adelaide within 10-15 years.

Doomednow

Bench
Could Adelaide get those crowds week in week out though? The crowd numbers they get for exhibition matches have to take into account people taking advantage of a rare opportunity to see live football/novelty factor.

EDIT: Not suggesting they definitely wouldn't get crowd numbers comparable to other teams, but surely they wouldn't average that high over a season.

Last edited:

TheDalek079

Bench
:lol: Panthers :lol:

f6941fd9-bc34-417c-bf82-9a3d41162c0.jpg

wain

Juniors
Could Adelaide get those crowds week in week out though? The crowd numbers they get for exhibition matches have to take into account people taking advantage of a rare opportunity to see live football/novelty factor.

EDIT: Not suggesting they definitely wouldn't get crowd numbers comparable to other teams, but surely they wouldn't average that high over a season.
honestly, i reckon that would be the core supporter base, about 10,000 and then with the hope to get more in over time.
like said previously, the new superbase opening in the northern suburbs where a few thousand defence force types from around australia will be based would certainly add more regulars too.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I don't think you realise how low a profile the NRL has in SA and WA. With their own team it will rasie the profile massively. Just that one game in Perth saw media coverage of the game increase 10 fold in the weeks leading up to it. Having said that, without the game on FTA we will always be pi55ing in the wind in expansion states.

LRC

I think the Dogs will have about 15k supporters there on Sunday. Whether the Roosters can bring 10k+ is another story.

Early forecast for Sydney is fine Friday,Saturday and Sunday.

With Parra winning, Parra fans will be out in numbers on Saturday Night. 17-18k at CUA IMO.

Coming from a supporter of the worst supported team in the comp. Panthers bring noone to anyones home games. Proabbly more roosters fans than panthers fans in penrith (and thats saying something).

MsStorm

Bench
I don't think you realise how low a profile the NRL has in SA and WA. With their own team it will rasie the profile massively. Just that one game in Perth saw media coverage of the game increase 10 fold in the weeks leading up to it. Having said that, without the game on FTA we will always be pi55ing in the wind in expansion states.

I wish the NRL would take notice of your posts PR.

I doubt they will bother, because you make too much sense.

Paullyboy

Coach
We get good turn outs on Sunday arvos. Is there ever a good day for Panther fans to turn up?

That's an excellent point. The Panthers have used every excuse possible over the past few years (bad coach, poor form, cold weather, too much night football, too much day football, not enough Friday's, Friday's are too hard).

In all seriousness, when is it ever going to be good for a Penrith fan? Is there a 3 week window in September, assuming the team is coming first and the game is played between the hours of 12pm and 2pm, and they play against Parramatta continuously that Penrith will be able to draw a decent crowd?

Last edited:

Simo

First Grade
That's an excellent point. The Panthers have used every excuse possible over the past few years (bad coach, poor form, cold weather, too much night football, too much day football, not enough Friday's, Friday's are too hard).

In all seriousness, when is it ever going to be good for a Penrith fan? Is there a 3 week window in September, assuming the team is coming first and the game is played between the hours of 12pm and 2pm, and they play against Parramatta continuously that Penrith will be able to draw a descent crowd?

I dont get current Penrith, in (or around) 03 if memory serves me they had the highest (or up there) syd average of about 19k. Whats happened?

They are doing very well now, hopefully a few big turnouts get them back into respectable territory.

DC_fan

Coach
Crowd comparison after round 18 in each of the past four seasons

2010 2,063,627
2009 2,030,162
2008 2,050,046
2007 2,107,454

Perth Red

Post Whore

In all seriousness, when is it ever going to be good for a Penrith fan? Is there a 3 week window in September, assuming the team is coming first and the game is played between the hours of 12pm and 2pm, and they play against Parramatta continuously that Penrith will be able to draw a descent crowd?

Have you considered Panthers don't have more than 12k fans willing to pay to watch them? In their 43 year history they have only ever had two decent crowd avg seasons.

Billythekid

First Grade
Have you considered Panthers don't have more than 12k fans willing to pay to watch them? In their 43 year history they have only ever had two decent crowd avg seasons.

It takes effort to get people to games. Simply having a team in an area doesn't guarantee a fan base. They don't put in any effort so you are probably right.

Penrith is always talked up as a great junior nursery. So to me the best way to build crowds would be to have cheap kids tickets.

Of course NRL games always have high prices for kids which stops us from turning them into fans who come to games. I really wish we could follow the AFL here.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Are the Warriors playing at the same time as the All Blacks?

probably, but it's never really impacted crowds before, especially when the game is out of town. plus with the warriors on a roll it won't hurt. bigger issue will be the weather, we've had some great days lately but the rain has rolled in. hopefully it clears up by tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.