What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
Is it any wonder the AFL get bigger crowds in Melbourne? How easy is it to stroll down to the MCG or Docklands from the city after work and both stadiums are serviced by awesome train/transport services.

Compare this to ANZ Stadium and even the SFS.

Plus it costs kids under 14 $2.50 to get in to the MCG or Docklands. Is it any wonder they get bigger crowds.

That Souths St George crowd would have been double last night had the game been played under similar circumstances to what Melbourne people enjoy.

VictoryFC

Bench
Is it any wonder the AFL get bigger crowds in Melbourne? How easy is it to stroll down to the MCG or Docklands from the city after work and both stadiums are serviced by awesome train/transport services.

Compare this to ANZ Stadium and even the SFS.

Plus it costs kids under 14 $2.50 to get in to the MCG or Docklands. Is it any wonder they get bigger crowds.

That Souths St George crowd would have been double last night had the game been played under similar circumstances to what Melbourne people enjoy.

Simply no question that this is true. If I couldn't sit on a train, and arrive within 200m walking distance to Etihad, I would never attend sport in Melbourne. The MCG is an inconvenience to me, but I say that because it would take me an extra 4 minutes by tram. All of Melbourne's sporting complexes are within a few square kilometres of each other in the dead centre of the city.

You then begin to see how easily you can have AFL teams which draw crowds. Supporters in AFL here aren't divided by where they live as much as they are by success. Collingwood wouldn't have the supporters they have if they didn't draw people from the north, east, south and west. Its there in numbers, an AFL club in Melbourne can double its membership base if they look successful, which highlights the fact that you can draw people from any corner of Melbourne to attend games at location friendly stadiums with some success - just look at Hawthorn and the bandwagon effect. If that stadium was placed where ANZ is in Sydney, comparatively speaking, you would simply not see that kind of jump.

I dunno how folk up there do it.

Brutus

Referee
Simply no question that this is true. If I couldn't sit on a train, and arrive within 200m walking distance to Etihad, I would never attend sport in Melbourne. The MCG is an inconvenience to me, but I say that because it would take me an extra 4 minutes by tram. All of Melbourne's sporting complexes are within a few square kilometres of each other in the dead centre of the city.

You then begin to see how easily you can have AFL teams which draw crowds. Supporters in AFL here aren't divided by where they live as much as they are by success. Collingwood wouldn't have the supporters they have if they didn't draw people from the north, east, south and west. Its there in numbers, an AFL club in Melbourne can double its membership base if they look successful, which highlights the fact that you can draw people from any corner of Melbourne to attend games at location friendly stadiums with some success - just look at Hawthorn and the bandwagon effect. If that stadium was placed where ANZ is in Sydney, comparatively speaking, you would simply not see that kind of jump.

I dunno how folk up there do it.

Yep. Melbourne has without doubt got the best sporting stadium structure in the country. And the cheaper ticket prices for a game (AFL) that goes almost twice as long as RL, ensures fans attend games and make a habit of it.

Serc

First Grade
22,582 at Penrith - new record apparently

Big step up from last week after we all collectively had a grand laugh at their 10k crowd on a Sunday afternoon. Well done Penrith!

Frailty

First Grade
So WA Reds and CC Bears fans... Convince me why I should support your sides when the Sharks die off eventually!

MsStorm

Bench
Yep. Melbourne has without doubt got the best sporting stadium structure in the country. And the cheaper ticket prices for a game (AFL) that goes almost twice as long as RL, ensures fans attend games and make a habit of it.

That's so true, but one thing which is hardly ever mentioned here, rugby league fans can watch 2 games on the one day i.e. the NYC squad before the main game.

AFL fans would kill to have their ressies (or whatever they call them) playing before their main game.

Status
Not open for further replies.