What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billythekid

First Grade
Definitely a disappointing crowd. NRL fans and its admin basically shrug off the new AFL side because of our strength in Sydneys west. This sort of crowd doesn't exactly demonstrate it very well.

sh*t season for crowds and i just don't how it will get better.
Maybe people are getting sick of the lack of vison from Gallop and co or maybe people are just getting sick of Rugby League.

This could end up being the best season ever in terms of crowds so i think this sort of comment is uncalled for.

It wasn't that long ago that we were all celebrating the lack of sub 10K crowds.

No doubt it's disappointing but at least the clubs are starting to acknowledge this and are starting to try and push forward.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Definitely a disappointing crowd. NRL fans and its admin basically shrug off the new AFL side because of our strength in Sydneys west. This sort of crowd doesn't exactly demonstrate it very well.

This could end up being the best season ever in terms of crowds so i think this sort of comment is uncalled for.

It wasn't that long ago that we were all celebrating the lack of sub 10K crowds.

No doubt it's disappointing but at least the clubs are starting to acknowledge this and are starting to try and push forward.
Well i hope iam wrong but iam sick of seeing the number of empty seats at the NRL games and crowds seem crap for the Cowboys,Titans,Souths, Penrith,Manly,Roosters,Raiders,New Zealand,Newcastle,Sharks,Melbourne while the likes of the Broncos,Ells,Bulldogs,St.Illawarra,West-Tigers are not setting the world alight.

user_nat

Coach
I guess no one wants to pay to watch a game this year. Makes sense, since there is about a 50% chance it will suck.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I can't understand the negativity about the competitions crowds in general. Yes Penrith got a rubbish crowd and that club needs to have a good look at itself and how to promote itself. But the average after 18 rounds last year was 15,760 compared to 16,145 this season and crowds in Sydney are generally up. Plenty of big games to come as well, so lets not judge it as a crap season until its finished when i think we will have seen another year of increasing the average, albeit by a small amount

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I can't understand the negativity about the competitions crowds in general. Yes Penrith got a rubbish crowd and that club needs to have a good look at itself and how to promote itself. But the average after 18 rounds last year was 15,760 compared to 16,145 this season and crowds in Sydney are generally up. Plenty of big games to come as well, so lets not judge it as a crap season until its finished when i think we will have seen another year of increasing the average, albeit by a small amount

Perth Red

Post Whore
it seems we don't need an NRL team in Penrith, most people there are fans of other clubs anyways, if ever there was an excample of over saturation it is Penrith and Cronulla who simply don't have a big enough fanbase as most of the poulation of their catchment support someone else near by.

Doomednow

Bench
Penrith has strategic value. Its the only club west of Parramatta and has a potential local fanbase drawing from the Blue Moutains and the Windsor area (North) and East at least as far as Blacktown. Not sure if you're familair with Sydney geography but no other team could be considered "local" to those areas... excluding of course GWS in the future (do you see my point?).

EDIT: It also has easily one of the best juniors bases in the league, providing and developing a successful talent pool.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes I do but the evidence would suggest that the area is full of RL people, but they are not Panthers RL fans, they are supporting someone else. If Panthers no longer played in Penrith do you think we would lose 10's of thousands of RL fans? I doubt it as history would suggest their fanbase is not very big, note not RL's but the Panthers.

Doomednow

Bench
At the very least you provide an opportunity for fans of those other teams the chance to attend at least one match a year featuring their preferred team at a local venue, take that away and by far the nearest live football will be GWS.

I realise this sounds - and probably is - biased coming from a Panthers fan. In any case taking into account the above points and the fact that the club is financially sound and I don't think there is any danger of Panthers being moved/disbanded in the foreseeable future - unless the NRL decides to completely reorganise the number and location of teams on a national scale, unlikely as one of the NRL's selling points is its history and that can easily be destroyed by such a revamp (and even then... Western Sydney hardly has the saturation of anywhere East of Parramatta, and would likely retain a team based at penrith).

DC_fan

Coach
yes I do but the evidence would suggest that the area is full of RL people, but they are not Panthers RL fans, they are supporting someone else. If Panthers no longer played in Penrith do you think we would lose 10's of thousands of RL fans? I doubt it as history would suggest their fanbase is not very big, note not RL's but the Panthers.

The interesting thing PR is Penriths leagues club "Panthers" has over 50,000 members. Yet there football team averages around 11-12,000 fans per home game. and that figure includes kids who cannot be members of the club.

DC_fan

Coach
Has the increase in interest rates finally hit home. A lot of stories doing the rounds today that people are not spending. Many stores are running non stop sales, yet people are still not buying.

Its not cheap to go to the footy especially if you are a family.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The interesting thing PR is Penriths leagues club "Panthers" has over 50,000 members. Yet there football team averages around 11-12,000 fans per home game. and that figure includes kids who cannot be members of the club.

it makes no sense equating people who play pokie machines to people who turn out to watch NRL games! Going on what people here have said many of those people in Penrith who are interested in watching RL do so by supporting another team. Either the Panthers need to sepnd some of their ill gotten gains on enticing them people to become Panthers fans or to recruit non RL fans to start supporting the game. Whilst the Leagues club is still making sheds of $'s, like the rest of them, they have seen profits drop massively over the last few years and it would be a very short sighted NRL club that continued to put all their eggs in that basket.

ps I do not buy the "RL fans will suppport AFL without a team in their suburb". There is absolutely ZERO evidence of this happening.

DC_fan

Coach
it makes no sense equating people who play pokie machines to people who turn out to watch NRL games! Going on what people here have said many of those people in Penrith who are interested in watching RL do so by supporting another team. Either the Panthers need to sepnd some of their ill gotten gains on enticing them people to become Panthers fans or to recruit non RL fans to start supporting the game. Whilst the Leagues club is still making sheds of $'s, like the rest of them, they have seen profits drop massively over the last few years and it would be a very short sighted NRL club that continued to put all their eggs in that basket.

ps I do not buy the "RL fans will suppport AFL without a team in their suburb". There is absolutely ZERO evidence of this happening.

Leagues Clubs were introduced to support the football team financialy. Today Leagues Clubs support just about every sport and needy cause you can think of. They have got away from what they were designed for.

I agree, just because you don't have an NRL team in your local area doesn't mean you don't follow the game.

Brutus

Referee

Go back 5 years and compare it to now.

Crowds have not increased at all.

TheDalek079

Bench
so we are facing the real possibility that a Roosters home game will have the best crowd (numbers, not best behaved as those souffs fans were feral) this round. wow! can parra beat it?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Could happen next week as well Dalek - GC v Brisbane can only get a max of 26k and even then I wouldn't count on it - Dogs v Roosters has massive potential with both teams in great form and a 3pm Sunday kickoff...

TheDalek079

Bench
Roosters fans tend not to go to matches....there better be a lot of bulldog supporters there (and please no rioting this time;)) if you want to exceed 26k

Status
Not open for further replies.