What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonetic

Juniors
I thought today's crowds were fair enough. Roosters fans are not going to travel to Homebush. I think it's nuts that Souths fan should have to, but anyway..

I think there's a few dreamers on these forums. What you base your predictions on, which fuels this disappointment, well I'll never know.

I thought today's crowds were fair enough. Roosters fans are not going to travel to Homebush. I think it's nuts that Souths fan should have to, but anyway..

I think there's a few dreamers on these forums. What you base your predictions on, which fuels this disappointment, well I'll never know.

these forums are full of dreamers

they need a dose of reality that their average age of 16 just can't get so far in their life.

m0nty

Juniors
Home & away crowd average changes in the last three years:

up 1%
down 1%
up 3%

There's nothing like the 10-15% increases that some in this thread were predicting. The last time there was a jump like that was 2005 with a 12% increase, half of which was lost again in 2006.

VictoryFC

Bench
The averages are still like what? In the top 5 leagues in the world running at the moment. Perspective! Better than NBA, NHL, many soccer leagues etc.

The standards this country has...

m0nty

Juniors
There are three ways of changing attendances, I reckon.

1) More work by clubs and the league on making memberships more attractive and tickets more affordable.

2) Ground rationalisation and/or upgrades, to maximise games played at grounds that have decent capacity and good transport.

3) New teams - though this can also lower averages e.g. Storm at Olympic Park.

Obviously the league wants to do all three, but it's such a painful process to get any progress at the moment.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This may have been done but a quick overview of the crowds so far:

Parra v Saints @ Parra - 18213
Brissy v NQ @ Suncorp - 48516
Dogs v Knights @ ANZ - 18110
Penrith v Canb @ CUA - 11133
Cron v Melb @ Toyota - 11820
GC v NZ @ Skilled Pk - 16112
Souths v Syd @ ANZ - 23149
Total of 147,053, average per game 21,008

For mine the biggest let-downs crowd wise come from Penrith and the Titans.

Penrith should have people streaming through the gates out there - it's almost as if all the western sydney pre-season banter about GWS has gone to waste and it's same old same old.

The Titans... well someone before said schedule night matches - yeah that's once facet. The ticket prices are prohibitive to anyone who doesn't live in a mansion ffs.

taipan

Referee
Im afraid you are the only one who calls me a troll. Timmah said he thought i was an afl fan but then apologised. The only one calling me a troll is you.

Back to the crowds. The 16k at gold coast is pretty poor but i thought when i saw the start on tv it would be even less than that. Like someone else said that type of rain shouldnt reduce a crowd too much. Cant have been people at the beach reducing the crowd either if it was raining.

Overall i think every crowd has been lower than most people predicted which is a worry but hopefully it picks up as the season moves forward. Hoping storm crowds will be much bigger this year in the new ground.

The crowd against the Storm(11,800) for the Sharks was in fact bigger than last year.Just about all the stands at the ground were full as were the seated areas.The problem area was the hill at the Nth end,standing room.I thought they would be lucky to crack 10,000.

a Titans v Warriors clash was never going to bring millions to the game, either was a Panthers v Raiders match 11,000 was right on what i was thinking for the match

Loudstrat

Coach
Geez there are some whingers here at times. The way some carry on "if the titans dont get 21k they will surely die" you'd think the NRL would outdraw the second coming of Christ with Motorhead as support!

The matchups in round 1 consisted of:

Parra v Saints - 2 rivals with big years - and the chronic f*tards at the Telegraph telling the world that 30 000 fans would be turned away 2 weeks in advance. If that aint sabotage I dunno what is - like telling the world that Maccas will have no more Big Macs - yet they still sell 18000. A good effort considering the rampant panic the Telegraph instilled in the f*cktards of the League world.

Brisbane v Cowpats. With the worst round 1 Brisbane have ever fielded, against a crap Cowpats side - their furthest Australian competitor -and they jagged a great crowd.

Dogs v Knights. The Knights with the worst pre season since Norths players turned up and were handed a maroon and white jumper and introduced to their new boss Arko. Crowd - not a bad effort under the circumstances.

Then there were 2 home games to teams with dabolical recent histories versus out of town teams with less fans than Peter Garrett. Combined total of 23k on a saturday night - suggests far better crowds against other clubs.

Gold Coast vs NZ. The home side requiring a home mortgage for tickets - the away side perennial underachievers from another country with a worse travelling record than the HMAS Melbourne. 16k sold the family jewelles tpo make it. Not bad at all - no game will rate worse at Skilled Park

Souths v Easts - the "traditional" rivals where the combined fan base of 6 yell at each other - and one team as spooners last year, and carrying the baggage of the "thrown game" allegations, and the other being excited about recreating 1967 - with the same bloody game plan. 23k - good crowd considering they were both failures last year.

I remember the days when half the games got 8k, and the match of the day drew 15k. They are not long ago either.

Anyone expecting bigger crowds than attend a Haitian food drop are delusional.

elbusto

Coach
Geez there are some whingers here at times. The way some carry on "if the titans dont get 21k they will surely die" you'd think the NRL would outdraw the second coming of Christ with Motorhead as support!

The matchups in round 1 consisted of:

Parra v Saints - 2 rivals with big years - and the chronic f*tards at the Telegraph telling the world that 30 000 fans would be turned away 2 weeks in advance. If that aint sabotage I dunno what is - like telling the world that Maccas will have no more Big Macs - yet they still sell 18000. A good effort considering the rampant panic the Telegraph instilled in the f*cktards of the League world.

Brisbane v Cowpats. With the worst round 1 Brisbane have ever fielded, against a crap Cowpats side - their furthest Australian competitor -and they jagged a great crowd.

Dogs v Knights. The Knights with the worst pre season since Norths players turned up and were handed a maroon and white jumper and introduced to their new boss Arko. Crowd - not a bad effort under the circumstances.

Then there were 2 home games to teams with dabolical recent histories versus out of town teams with less fans than Peter Garrett. Combined total of 23k on a saturday night - suggests far better crowds against other clubs.

Gold Coast vs NZ. The home side requiring a home mortgage for tickets - the away side perennial underachievers from another country with a worse travelling record than the HMAS Melbourne. 16k sold the family jewelles tpo make it. Not bad at all - no game will rate worse at Skilled Park

Souths v Easts - the "traditional" rivals where the combined fan base of 6 yell at each other - and one team as spooners last year, and carrying the baggage of the "thrown game" allegations, and the other being excited about recreating 1967 - with the same bloody game plan. 23k - good crowd considering they were both failures last year.

I remember the days when half the games got 8k, and the match of the day drew 15k. They are not long ago either.

Anyone expecting bigger crowds than attend a Haitian food drop are delusional.
Love your work Loudstrat. I agree with you completely. I think the crowd figures were very acceptable. Some people expect too much.

lockyno1

Post Whore
how the f**k do you spend 100=150 going to the footy?

Ticket to game=$50, 2-3 rounds of beers, at least 50-70 bucks. There is $120 without even trying. That is too much each weekend. I would rather go to a movie for $15 and then watch the game on IQ fast forwarding the scrums, pre game rubbish and half time break. Game goes quicker and lasts just over 60 mins of so.

The averages are still like what? In the top 5 leagues in the world running at the moment. Perspective! Better than NBA, NHL, many soccer leagues etc.

The standards this country has...

I told you guys people on here were dreamers.....

some clown told me to piss off and never come back.

what a goose....that guy needs to improve.

great broncos crowd but poor everywhere else, notwishstanding the fact that we over estimate crowd potential on here a lot.

my verdict - poor. bitch all you like about whinging and moaning and negativity....its a fact, first round crowds were poor overall but TO BE EXPECTED! duh...not long ago sydney games were watched by 3 men and a dog....6k, 8 k....cracking 10k had you guys wetting your pants

i stand by my 50% improvement thing in my sig. its possible, with a heavily loaded back-end of the timeframe. like always i expect several sydney clubs to drag that down to a crawl

but get out there and celebrate rugby league - no one wants to hang with negativity

Last edited:

E.T.D

Juniors
Once you wrap your mind around the fact that Sydney teams collectively averaged just over 15,000 people to home and away games last season, it's really pointless setting the bar too much higher than that at this stage.

MsStorm

Bench
I wonder if games live against the gate on FTA have a big bearing on crowd nos. Obviously can't do much about Foxtel Super Sat. which is a huge ratings puller, but it surely keeps a lot of people of home.

In afl land, they never broadcast games live into Melb.with Melb. teams playing, unless all or close to all seats have been sold.

Teddyboy

First Grade
The only thing that pisses me off about the crap crowds for some games is that the likes of Kevin Sheedy will be saying that the NRL can not pull in the crowds in there heartlands and the Gold Coast AFL will be saying that they will get bigger crowds then the Titans.

But i blame the media for hyping the game OTT.

Loudstrat

Coach
Kevin Sheedy can recite the Koran naked in Church Street with 3 firecrackers stuck up his arse for all I care.

bobmar28

Bench
This may have been done but a quick overview of the crowds so far:

Parra v Saints @ Parra - 18213
Brissy v NQ @ Suncorp - 48516
Dogs v Knights @ ANZ - 18110
Penrith v Canb @ CUA - 11133
Cron v Melb @ Toyota - 11820
GC v NZ @ Skilled Pk - 16112
Souths v Syd @ ANZ - 23149
Total of 147,053, average per game 21,008

For mine the biggest let-downs crowd wise come from Penrith and the Titans.

Penrith should have people streaming through the gates out there - it's almost as if all the western sydney pre-season banter about GWS has gone to waste and it's same old same old.

The Titans... well someone before said schedule night matches - yeah that's once facet. The ticket prices are prohibitive to anyone who doesn't live in a mansion ffs.

I saw a bit of the Titans game and it appeared to be raining there. Quite heavy during the Toyota cup game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts