What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowds

Evil Homer

Staff member
Super league is obviously dead and buried,the crowds in the finals have been a disgrace
Clearly the comp is dead and it's nothing to do with inflated standardised prices which season ticket holders also have to pay.

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
Warringtons crowd was 8k which is pathetic. Many reasons, some thought (worngly) we would win, some didn't want to pay out for another game, some were busy, as we didn't expect to get this far in the comp.

Another reason is people see the whole playoffs as a sky (our tv broadcasters) invention, a bit of a gimmick, like the "origin" matches we had. The best team in the league were Wigan. Regardless of what happens in the next few weeks.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Super League is on too long.It started when we had snow and it might snow when the whole English Rugby League season has finished.

deluded pom?

Coach
Another reason is people see the whole playoffs as a sky (our tv broadcasters) invention, a bit of a gimmick, like the "origin" matches we had. .

Then explain to them that playoffs are not a new thing to the Engllish game by any stretch of the imagination. We've had them for a fair chunk of our history especially when it was just a single league and not all teams played each other twice.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Yeah, there's a good chance it will snow in winter :sarcasm:

What i mean is that it was snowing when Super League kicked off at the end of january and it could snow when the 4 nations final is on in november 14th and it's the end of the Rugby League season in England and France.

In other words Super League is on too long and it should start as the same time as the NRL.

docbrown

Coach
www.slstats.org has them from 2000 onwards.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure it's that much to worry about when you look at the long term trending. It seems last year was a bit of a boom year and 2010 is on par with 2008.

As for the length of the season, rather than add another week for the magic round, why not take some of the traditionally lower drawing games and play them in that round instead (so some teams don't play each other home & away). Maybe not even a full seven game fixture, because -

I know there's a lot of teams in the lower divisions that have a traditional rivals that no longer meet because of the lack of relegation in Super League - so why not make a round about 2/3 into the season and just to have all those games played - i.e. like Salford/Swinton etc. And you could also play Hull Derby etc as well.

Rivalry and tribalism are what keeps this game alive.

undertaker

Coach
Do you guys think that the expansion from 12 to 14 teams has had a detrimental effect on the crowd attendances (as well as the expansion from 6 to 8 teams for the final series)? I don't understand how a 1vs4 match in the finals can only draw a paltry crowd such as the one it did a couple of weeks ago, irrespective of whether or not both teams knew they would have a second chance. It's still no excuse.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Thanks for that. I'm not sure it's that much to worry about when you look at the long term trending. It seems last year was a bit of a boom year and 2010 is on par with 2008.

As for the length of the season, rather than add another week for the magic round, why not take some of the traditionally lower drawing games and play them in that round instead (so some teams don't play each other home & away). Maybe not even a full seven game fixture, because -

I know there's a lot of teams in the lower divisions that have a traditional rivals that no longer meet because of the lack of relegation in Super League - so why not make a round about 2/3 into the season and just to have all those games played - i.e. like Salford/Swinton etc. And you could also play Hull Derby etc as well.

Rivalry and tribalism are what keeps this game alive.
Those stats aren't correct, they've included the finals series in the 2009 total and still only divided by 27. I think crowd averages are actually up this year from 2009. For a better picture on that website, look at the end of year tables and click 'home results' to give home attendances, or just look at the individual club crowds and you will see how in general they have greatly improved.

I don't think the length of Super League is the problem, and having Salford play Swinton certainly wouldn't help anything. Salford would win by 80 points and about 500 people would turn up. Most teams already play trial games against the other local teams without the need to disrupt the league calendar.

kovana

Juniors
Just posting on the Finals matches.

2010 ESL (6 matches so far)

Total = 67370 (11228/match)

2009 ESL finals (First 6 matches)

Total = 42499 (7'083/match)

If anything.. The matches for the finals have increased.

They have increased by 24'871 Or 58.52%!!!

Good job.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I find the drop in crowds during the playoffs to be absolutely mystifying. Over here the crowds get better - and in many cases remarkably better - during the playoffs.

Season tickets don't get people in over here during the finals, so I don't buy that argument.

Latest posts