What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 NRL premiership season preview with Greg Alexander: Cronulla

2010 NRL premiership season preview with Greg Alexander: Cronulla
By Max Abbott
foxsports.com.au
February 26, 2010

We continue our 16-day countdown to the 2010 NRL Premiership season by looking at Cronulla, whom Fox Sports league expert Greg Alexander predicts will finish in 15th place.

New faces: Broderick Wright (Parramatta), Adam Cuthbertson (Manly), John Morris (Wests Tigers), Albert Kelly (Parramatta), Paul Aiton (Penrith), Dean Collis (Wests Tigers), Stuart Flanagan (Canberra), Taulima Tautai (Parramatta), Nathan Gardner (Parramatta) and Siosaia Vave (Gold Coast Titans).

Shown the door: David Simmons (Penrith), Mitch Brown (Wests Tigers), Atelea Vea ( Melbourne Storm), Corey Hughes (retired), Brett Seymour (Warriors), Blake Green (Bulldogs), Ben Ross (South Sydney), Brett Kearney (Bradford), Terence Seuseu (Manly), Misi Taulapapa (Gateshead), Bryan Norrie (Gateshead) and Bronx Goodwin (Melbourne Storm).

Last year: Cronulla's 2009 season was one they would rather forget. Off-field controversies, financial difficulties and poor results on the pitch combined to put the club under enormous scrutiny. They lost their last 10 games of the season and only avoided the wooden spoon on points differential.

“ Ricky has a lot of new players, which will give the place a fresh feel, and after last year they'll certainly need it. ” – Greg Alexander Room for improvement: The area of most concern is their attack. The Sharks were ranked 15th in 2009 and even in 2008 - when they finished third - try-scoring was an Achilles heel. Trent Barrett should be able to settle into a better rhythm in his second season since returning from England. A large turnaround in their playing roster should also help erase the memories of last year and approach 2010 with greater enthusiasm.

Game breaker: Paul Gallen will again be crucial to the Sharks' chances. Despite getting himself into some off-field trouble over the summer he is the heart and soul of Cronulla's engine room. Gallen's huge work rate and intimidating presence are ideal qualities to lead the sizeable and mobile Sharks forward pack.
Rising star: Blake Ferguson will be the one to watch this year after scoring some freakish tries last season in his 20 NRL appearances. The 20-year-old has bulked up over the off-season and is tipped to make a big impact. Ferguson has already impressed in this year's All Stars match for the Indigenous team, meaning he will be full of confidence going into 2010.

Last chance: After a string of poor performances in 2009, many of last year's remaining squad members will be under pressure at the start of 2010. Luke Covell has been walking a tightrope for some time and will need to find his form in the air to hold off his younger, faster squad members. New recruit John Morris will also need to find his feet quickly after falling out of favour at Wests Tigers.

Coach factor: Ricky Stuart's job will be under scrutiny by the halfway mark of the season if the Sharks don't get off to a reasonably productive start. He knows what it takes to win a premiership but whether he has the imagination to take a team from bottom to top is still in question. The Sharks need to rethink their attacking plans and, if Stuart can solve the problem this season, it will relieve a heap of pressure off himself and the team.

Fox Sports Stats: The Sharks need to score points. They averaged the fewest points last season, scoring just 15 points per game, and, in 2008 when they finished third, they averaged the second fewest points, scoring just 18.7 points per game.

Greg Alexander says: "Ricky has a lot of new players, which will give the place a fresh feel, and after last year they'll certainly need it. They have made a couple of good signings; I think Cuthbertson gives them skills up front. Tupou showed in the All Stars game that he is the Sharks go-to man, but it's just whether they've got enough of them."

The Adjudicator says: "Everyone loves a feel-good bounce-back story. But I'm not everyone. Personally, I prefer watching a train wreck unfold no matter how predictable it may be. So how does a winless season sound? With Ricky Stuart punted in the opening month and Trent Barrett playing NSW Cup by Origin season. Perhaps."

Fantasy banker/darkhorse: Paul Gallen (8.5) is a must-have in any Fantasy squad. Big prop Kade Snowden (6.5) also finished last season as a useful addition. Taulima Tautai at (4.5) will be a bargain If he can squeeze into the starting line-up, offering good speed and power on the wing.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26745462-5018866,00.html?from=public_rss

Ausguy

Coach
the adjudicator is just some gutless prick who doesnt want to put his name to anything... if we finish 15th il enter the leagues club nude on grand final day and order a breezer.

RufusRex

Post Whore
the adjudicator is just some gutless prick who doesnt want to put his name to anything... if we finish 15th il enter the leagues club nude on grand final day and order a breezer.

did you do that after last season?

Generalzod

Immortal
Last year: Cronulla's 2009 season was one they would rather forget. Off-field controversies, financial difficulties and poor results on the pitch combined to put the club under enormous scrutiny. They lost their last 10 games of the season and only avoided the wooden spoon on points differential.

Greg your a genius..Did you work this out now???

Since 73

First Grade
Coach factor: Ricky Stuart's job will be under scrutiny by the halfway mark of the season if the Sharks don't get off to a reasonably productive start. He knows what it takes to win a premiership but whether he has the imagination to take a team from bottom to top is still in question. The Sharks need to rethink their attacking plans and, if Stuart can solve the problem this season, it will relieve a heap of pressure off himself and the team.

Fox Sports Stats: The Sharks need to score points.

Yup.

In a nutshell.

Sticky's career before the Sharks was star-studded lineups at Dogs reggies and the Rorters.

Things went downhill for him at the chooks when Fredddy retired and his next gig was us.

2010 looms as one where Sticky's rep is under the pump.

If we exceed expectations he will remain where he is.

If we are a train wreck he needs to get out before the mud sticks.

jc155776

Coach
As much as I hate to remember that game the first try was the turning point.

We were hammering in defence and had them trapped in their own 40. Gallen rushes up on the 5th I think it was and almost tackles Cronk which would have forced a turn over.

Instead Cronk gets free, the line has holes all over it and they run, chip and score.

Heads went down and that was it.

Since 73

First Grade
Sticky will never be sacked.

he has been the shining light amongst a chorus of fargwits.

He actually brings us some credibility. Last year when it was hitting the fan a lot of journos could have gone in harder but for Stick.

When he spoke or commented on our season it was genuine and shine a good light on the majority who had nothing at all to do with all the crap.

No, he will jump if his rep is taking a pounding. Won't cost us anything.

The Tiger rumours are true.
And Sheens is in the same boat.
If neither club fires look for a clean swap of coaches.

Personally, i'd love Sheens at the Sharks.

He and lang are 2 of my favourites. No more entertaining teams than the ones they coach.

toban99

Juniors

yeh you should be fine
they will finish 16th

sharks just dont have to players yet to do anything
only way they will win matches is by blooding the new imports they have
like Tautai and morris
even give young kelly a run

The Dodger

First Grade
Personally, i'd love Sheens at the Sharks.

He and lang are 2 of my favourites. No more entertaining teams than the ones they coach.
couldn't agree more with sheens

next to ricky, i would love to see sheens at the sharks.
love watching the tigers play.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Forwards win matches we have a very good pack.

I reckon we will much better than 15th.

Time will tell.

Quigs

Immortal
It's all to do with character building DS.

What does not kill you will only make you stronger.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

It's all to do with character building DS.

What does not kill you will only make you stronger.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Thanks for the wise words Quigs.

On another matter do you think we should introduce a free Chinese fortune cookie to every Sharks fan that walks through the gate on game day.
I mean we have a strong Chinese influence at Shark Park now.
Shouldn't we honor our new Sponsor in some way?

We could put messages in them like;

Confucious say better to watch a shyte team than no team so please visit the Sharks merchandise Shop.

Or

Confucious say best place to dip your dim sim after the game is Sharks Leagues Club.

Or

Confucious say at Toyota Stadium it is best to play shyte and get paid than to watch shyte and pay.

What do you think?

I think we'd be on a winner.