What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 World Cup Qualifier - Japan v Australia

Japan v Ausralia

• Japan

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Australia

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hybrid_tiger

Coach
By the way I think Holman deserves another chance, I mean, he's only played like absolute garbage everytime he plays for Australia, but surely if he keeps playing he will eventually do something other than give away needless fouls, hit passes into row Z and possess the touch of a f**king rapist.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Six goals in four World Cup qualifiers don't look so terrible...

As long as you are happy with that. Personally, I've never been so embarrassed watching my country play. Best described as cowardly.

Verbleak's tenure can be summed up by 0-1 win in the 92nd minute against Bahrain, 0-0 draws against Indonesia, lucky results against China, and getting outplayed by teams that have no football facilities such as Iraq.

Some of you are going to be in for a rude shock at the WC.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm not saying it's amazing football or that it will win us a World Cup but it's proving effective. Citing the game against Indonesia, populated with A-League players, isn't exactly the greatest piece of evidence. No team of A-League players is quality - let alone one being lead by Arnold while Verbeek sits out a sideline ban.

You use bad games to illustrate your point, but what about 3-0, 4-0 and 3-1 over Qatar? 2-1 over the Netherlands?

It's hardly been the finest football played, but there's certainly been decent performances in there. Far more than we ever had under Arnold.

And for a team with poor facilties, Iraq sure did well in the ANC. I can't believe people still death-ride them after that tournament.

Tom Shines

First Grade
There was never going to be any other result than 0-0. He plays such boring f**king football, especially away from home.

We're going to be made to look rather ordinary in South Africa.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I'm not saying it's amazing football or that it will win us a World Cup but it's proving effective. Citing the game against Indonesia, populated with A-League players, isn't exactly the greatest piece of evidence. No team of A-League players is quality - let alone one being lead by Arnold while Verbeek sits out a sideline ban.

You use bad games to illustrate your point, but what about 3-0, 4-0 and 3-1 over Qatar? 2-1 over the Netherlands?

It's hardly been the finest football played, but there's certainly been decent performances in there. Far more than we ever had under Arnold.

And for a team with poor facilties, Iraq sure did well in the ANC. I can't believe people still death-ride them after that tournament.

I'm not asking it to win us a World Cup, but AT LEAST HAVE A f**kING GO FFS. Playing 90 minutes of football and producing one shot on goal is pathetic. Even Arnold and Farina's teams had more balls.

Qatar are the only side we've played well against. We will not be playing Qatar at the World Cup. The Netherlands game was great, but it was a friendly and clearly it was a one-off performance because the rest of the time we have looked terrible.

I am not asking to play like Brazil, but creating one chance a match is just ridiculous. Its pathetic.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
And by the way, anyone who think Verbleak will have a different approach in the WC is kidding themselves. He has shown his hand as being no more capable than Graham Arnold.

His teams simply do not score goals - look at Korea's results (when he was in charge) in the Asian Cup.

petetheileet

First Grade
We play such tight defensive soccer nowadays...

Good tough result boys

f**k i wish Simon Hill knew league

Tommy Smith

Referee
By the way I think Holman deserves another chance, I mean, he's only played like absolute garbage everytime he plays for Australia, but surely if he keeps playing he will eventually do something other than give away needless fouls, hit passes into row Z and possess the touch of a f**king rapist.
:lol:

My favourite player.

I dedicated an entire thread to him after seeing his last few performances for Australia so bad is he.

Ive honestly seen better footballers on a Sunday afternoon at the park. For the life of me i cant figure out how he ever got a game in the first place, let alone somehow became a regular.

Misanthrope

Staff member
And by the way, anyone who think Verbleak will have a different approach in the WC is kidding themselves. He has shown his hand as being no more capable than Graham Arnold.

Has anybody said that his style will change? Or are you just assuming people who don't think he is the worst coach in Australian footballing history have that thought?

no surprise to see this bitch made dago whinging about verbeek

get over it dude, pim has been getting results and that's where it ends

fish eel

Immortal
we've played decent football in the home qualifiers. not the best performance, but a good result

played a very defensive game. cahill was never gunna score upfront on his own.

but we got the result required. would ya rather play great and lose?

also, for all their possession. japan never really looked like winning the game.

Last edited:
Did Japan really ever look like scoring?

I thought we did what we went there for. People forget that the Japs have most of their players from one or two J League teams, so they know each other. Our blokes are thrown together two days beforehand.

Pim played the hand he was dealt and played it beautifully. To me, they never really looked like they were going to break down our defence. It was just too strong.

An excellent result.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Has anybody said that his style will change? Or are you just assuming people who don't think he is the worst coach in Australian footballing history have that thought?

So, where will our points at the World Cup come from if we're too scared to attack against teams as bad as China and Indonesia?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
no surprise to see this bitch made dago whinging about verbeek

get over it dude, pim has been getting results and that's where it ends

The fact is we started with zero strikers. ZERO. Tim Cahill is not a target man FFS.

Why the fuck did Verbleak think that was a good idea? Because he only knows one way. 8-9 men behind the ball, sometimes all 10. Try to pinch goal from set piece or hopeful long punt upfield.

This is why the South Korean FA punted him. He's sh*t.

He basically took our best attacking player and insured he wouldn't have any effect. Against our best opponent in the WCQs.

Even if you don't mind our tactics and are satisfied with the result, you have to admit the Cahill-As-Target-Man decision was utterly stupid, and it should raise serious questions about whether PV is up to the task.

We may not be Brazil but we're not exactly playing against Brazil either. I'm aware of the limitations of our team and its players. But the issue is that instead of our richly paid coach having the team play to the best of their abilities, we are playing dumbed-down football for the 0-0 against teams we should be expecting to beat (like China) or at least match (like Japan).

€1.5m a year plus bonuses for that. :lol:

griffo346

First Grade
people here forget as Simon Hill said in the coverage that Pim is actually 3rd highest coach in Australian history based on results and winning percentage so that says alot of who was before him besides Guss

RUNVS

Juniors

The fact is we started with zero strikers. ZERO. Tim Cahill is not a target man FFS.

Why the f**k did Verbleak think that was a good idea? Because he only knows one way. 8-9 men behind the ball, sometimes all 10. Try to pinch goal from set piece or hopeful long punt upfield.

This is why the South Korean FA punted him. He's sh*t.

He basically took our best attacking player and insured he wouldn't have any effect. Against our best opponent in the WCQs.

Even if you don't mind our tactics and are satisfied with the result, you have to admit the Cahill-As-Target-Man decision was utterly stupid, and it should raise serious questions about whether PV is up to the task.

We may not be Brazil but we're not exactly playing against Brazil either. I'm aware of the limitations of our team and its players. But the issue is that instead of our richly paid coach having the team play to the best of their abilities, we are playing dumbed-down football for the 0-0 against teams we should be expecting to beat (like China) or at least match (like Japan).

€1.5m a year plus bonuses for that. :lol:

I agree. Kennedy was only on the field for 10 minutes and yet he showed ALOT more up forward than Cahill did. Why Kennedy didnt start is beyond me as he is a better lone target than Cahill and then we could have moved Cahill to the midfield.

Latest posts