What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 GF | PREMIERS - Sea Eagles 24-10 Warriors @ ANZ

2011 PREMIERS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

woodyk2

First Grade
I wi console myself with the fact that I'm not an arrogant wanker.
I still feel sorry for that poor NQ bugger that missed that converstion in the presidents cup...i hope he gets over it and moves on to big and better things.

Didgi

He will, he's a talented bloke. His kicking has been shown to be much better than that over previous seasons, I can only imagine how he feels.

Iafeta

Referee
What a great occasion. The whole day was magic. Obviously if results had have gone differently it would have been better, but it was a fairytale for the growth of the club and New Zealand Rugby League in general that we had three teams representing us in the Grand Final. Terrible way to lose reserve grade, poor Ivan Penehe's last ten minutes were a bit Paul Carriage-esque. I thought the Bulldogs deserved their win, they were very fluent with their short interchange of passes around the ruck and it gave them great momentum. Congratulations to them. Credit from the Vulcans to Anthony Gelling, Glen Fisiiahi, Pita Godinet (not so much defensively) in particular, I think they can leave with their heads held high. There is a lot of talent and speed off the mark between Godinet and Fisiiahi, if they fix up a couple of defensive deficiencies they could go onto have great careers.

Onto NYC, if I thought Ivan Penehe committed the ultimate choke, the NYC mob nearly outdid him. The last 11 or so minutes was just straight out panic-street material. I thought it all started when Jordan Meads made a break... the following 3 tackles the Warriors proceeded to crawl out of dummy half to make a combined total of 2 metres forward and 7 metres sideways. It was if they were going into 'go-slow' mode to slow the game down towards the final whistle. It was way too early to apply those tactics. Great effort from the Cowboys and commiserations to them on mounting the comeback. I feel for the young chap who missed the goal. A lot of outstanding talent in that game, the backrower for the Cowboys #12 was exceptional. He is going to be a very fine NRL talent I feel. From the Warriors, despite some pandemonium moments towards the end Hurrell, Taukiaheo, Palavi, Ikahihifo, Havili to me have the makings of very good first graders. All the best to Adam Henry too with the Roosters.

Finally the big dance. Magic to see so many Kiwis flying over especially for the game. The national anthem and the haka was great to be a part of in such a cauldron of Kiwis. Manly, what I can say, congratulations to them. They were the better team and thoroughly deserved their win. Glenn Stewart was a constant threat and is just so smart on the edges of the ruck exposing weaknesses in defence with his deft ball play. To me, Manly were just very well organised. Their spine knew their role including Glenn Stewart and performed them extremely well. I thought the first 20 minutes was incredibly tight with a lot of good forward play and solid defence. It was a terrific feeling out period. The back end of the game I think showcased one of the premier talents in rugby league. Shaun Johnson is an absolute champion in the making. With a lit bit more maturity, and some improvements in defence, and a confidence to continue to take the line on he is going to make a lot of special tries. I feel Johnson and Maloney could strike up a lethal combination long term should James get the offer he wants and remain with the Warriors. That will be the challenge, keeping the spine of this team together - the four way rotation, Mannering, the halves, Locke, Vatuvei, the halves, Mateo... if they can keep together for a few years with a few U20s coming in then I feel we'll jag one sooner or later.

Either way, great occasion and congratulations to the Manly fans. Enjoy the moment, one day I hope to experience the emotions you guys got to experience last night. Finally, all the best to Lance Hohaia, Aaron Heremaia, Brett Seymour, Joel Moon, Shaun Berrigan and in particular Ivan Cleary as they embark on new futures. John Ackland midweek summed up Ivan Cleary best. He's the first Warriors coach not to get the boot and leave on his own wants, and he's the first Warriors coach to have set this club up for a great future when he leaves. I wish him all the best at Penrith, I struggle to think of anyone in the Warriors history who has a greater impact on the Warriors as a club and for that he deserves a lot of respect. Great season of NRL, bring on 2012.

skeepe

Immortal
For all the tributes that Cleary is getting, I still don't think he is a very good coach, and he approached last night with a game plan that was all wrong.

I understand that the future looks pretty bright at the Warriors and the coach will always get a lot of the accolades for that, but I can't help but think that they have under-achieved during his tenure.

adamkungl

Immortal
Congrats to Manly on another excellent season, and the Warriors too, fought hard and some amazing football in the last 20 mins to make an exciting finish. Bring on the 4N!

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
What a great occasion. The whole day was magic. Obviously if results had have gone differently it would have been better, but it was a fairytale for the growth of the club and New Zealand Rugby League in general that we had three teams representing us in the Grand Final. Terrible way to lose reserve grade, poor Ivan Penehe's last ten minutes were a bit Paul Carriage-esque. I thought the Bulldogs deserved their win, they were very fluent with their short interchange of passes around the ruck and it gave them great momentum. Congratulations to them. Credit from the Vulcans to Anthony Gelling, Glen Fisiiahi, Pita Godinet (not so much defensively) in particular, I think they can leave with their heads held high. There is a lot of talent and speed off the mark between Godinet and Fisiiahi, if they fix up a couple of defensive deficiencies they could go onto have great careers.

Onto NYC, if I thought Ivan Penehe committed the ultimate choke, the NYC mob nearly outdid him. The last 11 or so minutes was just straight out panic-street material. I thought it all started when Jordan Meads made a break... the following 3 tackles the Warriors proceeded to crawl out of dummy half to make a combined total of 2 metres forward and 7 metres sideways. It was if they were going into 'go-slow' mode to slow the game down towards the final whistle. It was way too early to apply those tactics. Great effort from the Cowboys and commiserations to them on mounting the comeback. I feel for the young chap who missed the goal. A lot of outstanding talent in that game, the backrower for the Cowboys #12 was exceptional. He is going to be a very fine NRL talent I feel. From the Warriors, despite some pandemonium moments towards the end Hurrell, Taukiaheo, Palavi, Ikahihifo, Havili to me have the makings of very good first graders. All the best to Adam Henry too with the Roosters.

Finally the big dance. Magic to see so many Kiwis flying over especially for the game. The national anthem and the haka was great to be a part of in such a cauldron of Kiwis. Manly, what I can say, congratulations to them. They were the better team and thoroughly deserved their win. Glenn Stewart was a constant threat and is just so smart on the edges of the ruck exposing weaknesses in defence with his deft ball play. To me, Manly were just very well organised. Their spine knew their role including Glenn Stewart and performed them extremely well. I thought the first 20 minutes was incredibly tight with a lot of good forward play and solid defence. It was a terrific feeling out period. The back end of the game I think showcased one of the premier talents in rugby league. Shaun Johnson is an absolute champion in the making. With a lit bit more maturity, and some improvements in defence, and a confidence to continue to take the line on he is going to make a lot of special tries. I feel Johnson and Maloney could strike up a lethal combination long term should James get the offer he wants and remain with the Warriors. That will be the challenge, keeping the spine of this team together - the four way rotation, Mannering, the halves, Locke, Vatuvei, the halves, Mateo... if they can keep together for a few years with a few U20s coming in then I feel we'll jag one sooner or later.

Either way, great occasion and congratulations to the Manly fans. Enjoy the moment, one day I hope to experience the emotions you guys got to experience last night. Finally, all the best to Lance Hohaia, Aaron Heremaia, Brett Seymour, Joel Moon, Shaun Berrigan and in particular Ivan Cleary as they embark on new futures. John Ackland midweek summed up Ivan Cleary best. He's the first Warriors coach not to get the boot and leave on his own wants, and he's the first Warriors coach to have set this club up for a great future when he leaves. I wish him all the best at Penrith, I struggle to think of anyone in the Warriors history who has a greater impact on the Warriors as a club and for that he deserves a lot of respect. Great season of NRL, bring on 2012.
:clap::clap:
All class my friend!!!

adamkungl

Immortal
The play where Shaun Johnson one-bounce grubbered to himself, threw it between his legs for it to eventually reach the winger who grubbered for the ingoals - one of the most freakish plays i've ever seen, wish it got a try. What an amazing end to the game that would have been.

Daddycool

Juniors
I'm a very happy and proud Sea Eagles fan today. Congratulations boys on another Premiership, the clubs 8th.

the rebel

Juniors
For all the tributes that Cleary is getting, I still don't think he is a very good coach, and he approached last night with a game plan that was all wrong.

I understand that the future looks pretty bright at the Warriors and the coach will always get a lot of the accolades for that, but I can't help but think that they have under-achieved during his tenure.

I agree with the those comments to some degree. I thought the Warriors played too conservatively for the first 60 minutes or so. They needed to be the ones to get off to a flying start. At 12-2 the match was just about gone.

I think Cleary has been good for the Warriors. The club was a shambles when he came to the club and he has been a large component in the rebuilding of the club.

I am not sure whether he was the coach to take the Warriors to the next level. His main strength is the ability to steady the ship so to speak. Warriors need a bit more than that in order to win a premiership. It will be interesting to see the team next year with a new coach, tactics etc...

Congratulations to Manly, they were the best team all year and deserved their title.

Garts

Bench
Great to be at the game. Loved seeing my team take out the big one after missing 08, never thought I would get the chance again so soon. Congrats to the Warriors, you sure had me nervous towards the end there. The Warrior fans were excellent as well, before and after the game. Definitely the most fun of all teams fans imo.

GongPanther

Referee

He got NZ to the finals tree times out of the six years he was there.

His best work is yet to come as he is still a young coach.

Gould will be mentor good for him.

But congratulations to the Manly Sea-Eagles and a special mention to the Manly fans who were very well behaved last night in Manly.

Only one person arrested and 10 warned for other minor offenses.:thumn

bennoonthehill

Juniors
some absolute comedy gold in this thread. none moreso than this -

This is the death of rugby league.

skeepe, you're f**king hilarious, keep it up champ.

i'll agree with 90% of what was said about the refereeing, it was not to the standard that the GF deserves, and despite the bleating of the manly haters around here, there were poor calls made in BOTH teams favour. but the DCE 'obstruction' was clearly the correct decision, as you can't be determined to be obstructing a player coming from behind you. rose's elbow was pretty bad, but it takes a lot to be sent in a GF, and perhaps he got some benefit of the doubt in that he had to try and stop himself from going face first into the turf as he fell. malicious deserves to be sent, but clumsy doesn't, and if you watch the incident in real time its hard to say 100% either way.

and congrats to the warriors fans, both on LU and at the game - terrific vibe all day, lots of good banter and every fan i encountered afterwards was gracious in defeat. your club has a terrific few years ahead of you if this fella replacing cleary has any coaching chops, so its a good time to be a warrior.

Iafeta

Referee
Four out of six gong. 07, 08, 10, 11. Missed out in 06 taking over from the salary cap rort. -4 start... without that he makes the finals that year too, and 09 is the off season we tragically lost Sonny. They were on a hiding to nothing. The club was in a funk that year. I read Ben Matulino asked Dean Bell to be let go as if he was done with league... All in all, Ivan did a very credible job especially given what he walked into (salary cap rort, a team that focused on picking up journeymen Australians, had no pathway teams set up, had just sent packing over the past year or two a number of Kiwi internationals short of their contracts being up...). skeepe, I understand your comments on Ivan, I would suggest though that the club is in a far, far, far, far better position due to Ivan being there than what he inherited. What he inherited was a septic landfill type operation, turds all over the place. He leaves with some structure in the club. There's other parts to that (board, exec management, and other coaching staff) but he definitely played a keen role in it. I think his coaching is very structured, it forms good foundations, I think his type of coaching requires a bloke or 2 with individual instinct to gain a number of tries... unfortunately mostly he's had average halves. All of a sudden he got a team that had Mateo, Maloney, Locke and Johnson and it looked very good.

ManlyMania

Juniors
Yes what a day - like the warriors and their supporters were great too - was a very good game - Manly too strong overall but what a player shaun johnston will be.

Went to the game as well and loved every minute of it...I have respect for the Manly fans.

Chatted to a few and they were down to earth and good value...had a beer and a laugh.

From a Storm fans perspective...the Manly backline was awesome, bullet passes from Cherry-Evans and Foran were spot on and the composure that Lyons brings to the backline is great.

Personally, I don't think Storm would have beaten Manly if they had have made it...the Warriors were good in the second half and I dont need to stress the handling errors in the first half killed any real chance IMO...

Congrats Manly...

One Warrior

Bench

Totally agree, well said.

effnic

Bench
LOL@Skeepe and his band of whingers. You can always tell the bitter wankers that lost all there money at the TAB.

Latest posts