What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 NSW Cup

siv

First Grade
Any update on the 2011 NSW Cup / RG structure

With Canberra and Manly rejoining the comp and talk of Souths going it alone, means teh comp will look very different next year

Last edited by a moderator:

rwaite

Juniors
At the moment all the NSW Cup teams (excluding Auckland and Melbourne) are east coast teams that all fit between Newcastle and just past Woollongong.

It is not a true statewide competition like the QLD Cup is. The NSW Cup really needs some country teams like Western Division (winners of the original Amco Cup), Riverina and Northern Rivers, etc. to be a true statewide competition.

Has anyone heard of anything about other country teams joining the NSW Cup?​

Bro Bear

Juniors
The Bears and and Souths still have an agreement in place for next season.

But it would be good to see some NSW Country divisions come on board and even the WA Reds and a NSW Koori team.

Manly could approach the Bears (or the Bears approach Manly) about having double headers at NSO like Cronulla and the Jets.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It'd be great to see a team from the Riverina, central west (Dubbo/Bathurst etc) and central northern (Moree/Inverell etc)

Maybe even a team from the North Coast region (Port Macquarie)

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Fellas, we are in July and this is NSWRL.......way too early yet.

Don't the NSWRL have a long-term strategic plan for where their premier competition is headed ? How and when they plan to expand to a proper statewide competition.

Too busy telling others what they can and can't do to look after their own business.

mono_mal

Juniors
The NSW Cup looks like fielding 14 teams next season with the return of Canberra (possible Gouldburn joint venture) and Manly (possible Mounties or Harbord Diggers feeder).

An improvement on previous seasons!

Country teams would be best to enter the Jim Beam Cup as the NSW Cup clubs act as direct feeders to the NRL. Without a feeder relationship that would give these clubs access to fringe NRL players they would not be able to compete with the stronger NSW Cup clubs.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Manly should hold joint games at NSO with the Bears. Jets and Cronulla do and it is a good day.

Both clubs would probably save money.

However, I doubt the Pie Eater Miss Piggy Peters would bother to turn up - our pies are toooo small for him.

nqcowboy87

Bench
why melbourne only just joined the comp and have done quite well. on the subject of country teams, weve gotten past the point where theres stand alone nsw/q cup teams that dont feed directlyto nrl sides, like north sydney bears 2003-2004 and easts tigers before the entire qcup comp was aligned with the broncos. if theyre gonna have a team from outside of the major metro areas theyd still have to be aligned to an nrl side like the northern pride with the cowboys

Smiley

Bench
Looks likely that Melbourne will use Easts Tigers (QLD Cup) as their feeder club next season.

tezzah

Juniors
Thats a real shame! Could that be due to the reason that the NRL club was docked financially therefore do not have the same budget to work with? Just when you thought Melbourne local rugby league would benefit from having a representative team to strive for. 2 steps forward- 4 steps back! Surely NSWRL would see real benefit in having a Victorian state based team in the competition?

siv

First Grade
Finisnace is a big issue overall so I recko there should be more pumped into the lower tiers

I reckon the NRL should help establish a national RG by putting in $500K per NRL club

At NSW Cup level after a merger beween Bundy Cup and NSW Cup plus NSW country divisions, Adelaide and Perth. These teams should get $250K each from the NSWRL with Melbourne / Perth / Adelaide given a extra $100K to cover transport costs

CoachMan

Juniors
Wow that doesn't sound good for the Magpies. Don't get me wrong, I love Western Suburbs, and have even coached juniors there, but it looks like a slippery slope. First a name change, then the fringe players get moved...

Slippery slope

footy watch

Juniors
couldnt agree more.I think it will be damaging to the merger.Alot of players will want to play for wests tigers in nsw cup just for the name.. Interestingly, if wests and balmain win their respsective games this weekend, the grandfinal will be a beauty. Be assured it will be a bashathon!!!

ballbag

Juniors
Central Coast Centurions to remain as feeder club to the Knights. It was in last Saturdays Newcastle Herald but can't find it online.

Bluebag

Juniors
Sheens is keen to have 1 team which would killing off Balmain and Wests and that should never happen they need their own identity.

It is a stupid idea to have country divisions in the State cup as how would guys travel 4 times a week to and from training plus travel to Sydney to play and perform. Some guys drive 2-3 hours each way in these areas so how could they afford to do that give?

I believe that the Dragons should have their own State cup team out of Illawarra and called the Steelers which would have a chance to have Steeler fans keep their history as they do have junior rep sides.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The state cup side that's currently out there is the Shellharbour Dragons. Unless there's already something in the works or they're planning to drop out I doubt you'll see Illawarra involved. The Steelers are still there at Ball/Matts level anyway, as are St George.

mono_mal

Juniors
Regarding Illawarra I thought I'd read that Illawarra Wests were contemplating entering an agreement with the Dragons.
The club's traditionally been one of the stronger Illawarra club with the financial support of two leagues clubs. They also entered a team in the Metro Cup for a seaon during the 90's.

Also dissapointing to see Balmains decision. Whilst I understand Ryde Eastwoods contribution is largely financial will they continue to provide such support if their contribution isnt recognised within the clubs identity?
It's also a massive show of disrespect to the Wests part of the merger, which is potentially the future of the club due to the large junior base.