What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 NSW Cup

all nrl clubs should have reggies sides

the qld and melbourne nlr clubs reserves play in the QLD cup and the NSW NRL,NZ and Canberra clubs in the NSW Cup

Kilkenny

Coach
The sooner the NRL accept the NYC should be the third tier competition and bring back the 'reserve grade' the better off we will all be.

Spitty

Juniors
The sooner the NRL accept the NYC should be the third tier competition and bring back the 'reserve grade' the better off we will all be.

I think the big struggle is finding interested partners to invest in 'Reserve Grade'. As it stands the clubs can afford to run NYC because of NRL grants and the NRL can offer those grants because of Toyota's sponsorhsip and Foxtel TV deals. 'Reserve Grade' or NSW Cup has never generated that kind of capital, therefor the clubs are left to run it themselves with little financial help from the NSWRL.

That's why most clubs farm out the 'Reserve Grade' to other clubs. Windsor for example take pressure off the Panthers by absorbing many of the costs of running the team, but Windsor's pay off is that they get the game day takings for the matches.

So if someone can think of a way to make running 'Reserve Grade' cheaper for the clubs, I'm sure the NSWRL would love to hear it. In the mean time the commercial interest is in NYC and while it's not an ideal feeder system it is the one that generates the most money.

I'm all for 'Reserve Grade' but I don't now how to fix the problem.

siv

First Grade
Word for a common FG, RG , NYC structure is growing and may occur sooner rather than later

mono_mal

Juniors
Largely agree with Spitty.
The NYC is feasible due to reduced costs. Player payments aren't as large as what would be required in a NRL Reserves competition as the players are aged between 18 and 20, and the majority partake in educational programs and train near full time with their NRL clubs. This isnt feasible for a reserve grade comp as the majority of players are older and full time workers, as the wages arent sufficient enough to warrant full time contracts.
I think the NSWRL should persevere with the NSW Cup concept and really try to make the rugby league public familiar with the competition. TV coverage, possibly via the ABC ie. Qld Cup, and increased promotion would help.

Spitty

Juniors
Farming league's are always an issue across just about every sport in the world. They're a necessary evil, you're always going to loose money on them, but you need your unused talent playing somewhere.

As the clubs and the league become more profitable I think we'll slowly see a return to the Reserve Grade system in NSW. There just isn't the money available for it at the moment.

Back on topic it looks like the league will have 1 team for every NSW based NRL team which makes 11 teams. Possibly 12 if Wests stay apart, doubt that'll happen though. Can't see any teams putting players back to local league's like Newcastle tried a couple of season ago.

Acka

Coach
Regarding Illawarra I thought I'd read that Illawarra Wests were contemplating entering an agreement with the Dragons.
The club's traditionally been one of the stronger Illawarra club with the financial support of two leagues clubs. They also entered a team in the Metro Cup for a seaon during the 90's.

Also dissapointing to see Balmains decision. Whilst I understand Ryde Eastwoods contribution is largely financial will they continue to provide such support if their contribution isnt recognised within the clubs identity?
It's also a massive show of disrespect to the Wests part of the merger, which is potentially the future of the club due to the large junior base.

I believe that was in 1998

mono_mal

Juniors
I think a more feasible alternative to a National Reserve Grade comp is aligning the current NSW Cup and Qld Cup competitions via conferences and playing a joint finals system featuring the top four clubs from each respective competition.

siv

First Grade
Joint finals for a true NSW Cup and Qld Cup is fine

But a National RG is still required and should be separete from these two competitions

siv

First Grade
Paper talk today is that the Storm are merging with Cronulla in the NSW Cup - don't know how that is going to work ?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The way I see it, the team will remain the Cronulla Sharks, but it will have the unsigned Storm NSW Cup players in it.

Players will either (mostly) contracted to Cronulla or Storm (not both teams)

I would like a structure where instead of feeder teams. They could combine both the NSW Cup and QLD Cup to make the NRGC (National Reserve Grade Competition) or another name. All 16 teams in the competition.

nqcowboy87

Bench
I would like a structure where instead of feeder teams. They could combine both the NSW Cup and QLD Cup to make the NRGC (National Reserve Grade Competition) or another name. All 16 teams in the competition.

if you understand the qcup and nsw cup comps youll realisde it doesnt work

siv

First Grade
Well St Merge won't be using Shellharbour next year - they will re-enter as St Goerge-Illawarra

Joker's Wild

Coach
Really, the Devils? They are the biggest and richest club in the Wollongong comp but its still surprising to hear

Spitty

Juniors
A merger between Melbourne and Cronulla would be a massively strong NSW Cup side. It'd be made up of mostly FG contracted players.

But with Wests likely to merge and the sharks/storm possible merger, there'll be some players left adrift.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wests aren't merging are they?

I thought Magpies stayed as they were and BRET were changing their name to Wests Tigers?

Spitty

Juniors
Wests aren't merging are they?

I thought Magpies stayed as they were and BRET were changing their name to Wests Tigers?

Could be the case, haven't heard about it for a few weeks.

Also heard on 2SM today that Storm have signed a feeder agreement with Easts Tigers in the QLC. Don't have an internet source, I just heard it on the 2SM news. Don't know if this will capture all of the Storm 2nd tier players or not, but it seems unlikely they'll have any input in the NSW Cup next year at all.

Smiley

Bench