What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 NSW Cup

The Observer

Staff member
RL Tragic, why did they go for the extra 3 fixtures (on top of the home and away fixture)? Did the clubs feel they needed the extra gate income? Did they or the players simply want to play more games?

mono_mal

Juniors
In reply to your question The Observer I think it was to directly correlate the season with the NRL season. The NSW Cup Grand Final is still held as part of Grand Final Day so the seasons must link up, clubs have also demanded this to ensure there excess NRL squad members have regular football available to them.

RL Tragic

Juniors
The NSW Cup is now around a quarter of the way thru and some of the players who have been playing include Brett Seymour, Joel Moon, Grant Millington, Michael Hodgson, Beau Champion, Anthony Quinn, Steve Southern, Adam Woolnough, Dene Halatau, Chris Armit, Daniel Conn, Geoff Daniela, Russell Packer, Shane Rodney, Ukuma Ta'ai, Joel Reddy, Paul Whatuira, Ben Rogers, Tim Smith, Kane Linnett, Masada Iosefa, Justin Carney, Phil Graham, Ben Roberts, Tom Symonds and Carl Webb - the standard has definitely improved and Canterbury are the unbeaten favourites.
I think the final eight will be:
1 Canterbury
2 Auckland
3 Cronulla
4 Newtown
5 Central Coast
6 Balmain
7 Wentworthville
8 Windsor
then Bears, Manly and Wests
Any thoughts?

Roland

Juniors
Windsor have gone from Grand Finalists to last place. Maybe they should not have pensioned off Trindall

RL Tragic

Juniors
Looks like quite a few teams can win it after the weekend...Wentworthville (with Daniel Mortimer, Tom Humble, Carl Webb and plus Reni Maitua due back any week) beat Auckland, Cronulla beat Canterbury so it is now 3 teams equal first...Cronulla, Auckland and Canterbury with Newtown 2 points behind and having beaten both Canterbury and Cronulla. Windsor have beaten both Auckland in NZ and Newtown in the last few weeks and Balmain beat Windsor on the weekend.

RL Tragic

Juniors
Melbourne send around 3 or 4 per week and looking at the team lists the players who have played the most are Robbie Rochow, Jake Hawkins, Sisa Waqa and Rory Kostjaysn. Tu'u Maori has also played quite a few but has been let go by the Storm so wont be there anymore.

I'm confident that the Auckland Vulcans can win it this year, despite getting beat by the North Sydney Bears on Saturday. We've been dominating this year and we have the team to win it.

mono_mal

Juniors
Just read a report linking the Raiders with Mounties for 2012 in the NSW Cup. Seems pretty much confirmed but is interesting after Parramatta previously prevented Cabramatta linking with Cronulla.

Anyone have any other news regarding the make up of the NSW CUP/Bundy Cup for next season?

Apparently a few NRL clubs are interested in entering teams in the Bundy Cup to act as a development grade for excess NSW Cup, Toyota Cup and Junior players. Kingsgrove Colts currently operate in this mode with the Roosters and Bankstown Sports with the Bulldogs.

Rumours are Leichardt Wanderers or UTS Tigers may form relationships with the Tigers.

I have heard that St George are coming back into the NSW Cup next year under the Illawarra Steelers banner..............

Good to hear that the Raiders are back via Mounties.

Through a mate at the Jets who was pretty sure it was going to happen. I hope it does happen, would love to hop down and see the Jets take on the Steelers at WIN on a Saturday arvo.

Fair enough. It's a rumour that's been doing the rounds pretty much every season and always falls through once money is talked about (Steelers Leagues have none), hence why I am skeptical. Would be happy to see them run around though, but my guess is home games would more likely be at Thomas Dalton Park or Ron Costello Oval if 1st Grade isn't playing at WIN Stadium.

Don't the Steelers junior reps plat at WIN for stand alone fixtures?
The first I heard about it was at the start of this season, so hopefully something will come of it. Aren't the NSWRL putting pressure on all clubs to have teams in the NSW Cup, especially St George and Canberra which has led to the Raiders getting into bed with Mounties for next year.