What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 QLD Team

Big Pete

Referee
I disagree, I thought he was merely solid in Origin and was well contained by the opposition and I thought his performance in Game 3 2009 (on the wing) was ordinary.

EDIT: What do you guys think of Kennedy being a bolter?

Last edited:

Didgi

No need to pick Tonga, or DJ for that matter. While I'm here, there's no room for Scott in the pack either.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I disagree, I thought he was merely solid in Origin and was well contained by the opposition and I thought his performance in Game 3 2009 (on the wing) was ordinary.

EDIT: What do you guys think of Kennedy being a bolter?

I'm pretty sure he was born in NSW, played both his first junior and senior football in NSW and is eligible for NSW. It will be a joke if Queensland claims him like they did with Inglis.

hellteam

First Grade
I'm pretty sure he was born in NSW, played both his first junior and senior football in NSW and is eligible for NSW. It will be a joke if Queensland claims him like they did with Inglis.

http://www.qrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=eligible-players

SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Martin KENNEDY
Nate MYLES
Ben JONES
Anthony WATTS
Aidan GUERRA
Jake FRIEND
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...y-for-queensland/story-fn2mcuj6-1226033054522

He was born in New South Wales and is a State of Origin candidate, but Sydney Roosters powerhouse Martin Kennedy's allegiance is with Queensland.

Like Greg Inglis, Kennedy was born in northern NSW, but only wants to play for the Maroons.
"He's a Queenslander. He's already been earmarked by them," a Roosters insider said, after watching Kennedy steamroll Wests Tigers at the SFS.

But while Kennedy, who went to school in Brisbane and played his junior football with Norths Ipswich, was happy to declare his colours, the modest front-rower was quick to dismiss his credentials, never mind his debut try in the 12th minute.
Seems there is nothing wrong with this, as much as the headline and title want there to be. He played his juniors in Qld...

Slater
Yow Yeh
Inglis
Hodges
Boyd

Lockyer
Thurston

Scott
Smith
Shillington
Thaiday
Taylor
Johnson

Hannant
Civoniceva
Harrison
Cronk

--
Tonga
Prince
Bell
Lowe

Dazzat

First Grade
Kennedy has four of the best props getting around in front of him - Civ, Shillington, Scott and Hannant. But what a great replacement for Civ next year!

The Telegraphs article is carefully worded to sell papers, but conveniently excludes mentioning where Kennedy played his first senior game (or whatever game is considered the eligibility clincher).

The Tele ... that's a NSW paper right? Figures.

isaiah

Bench
seems pretty obvious what the team for game 1 will be

slater, boyd, inglis, hodges, either vidot or yoh yeh, lockyer, thurston, d;johnson, myles, harrison, scott, c.smith, and civinoceva, with the bench of cronk, thaiday, shillington, and hannant

i think vidot was in front before the season began for the vacant wing spot, but yoh yeh might have passed him on form

i'd like to include dave taylor, but dont want him playing tight, so only if one of the 4 backrowers go down, does he make it [thaiday as well i dont want to use as a prop, marty kennedy is next if one of those 4 get injured]

willie tonga is next of course if a centre gets hurt, but not a winger
scott prince covers the halves

funny all this talk about kennedy on one good performance, i think he was next prop in line even before that

Big Pete

Referee
Updated Side...

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ash Harrison

14. Cooper Cronk
15. Ben Hannant
16. Dave Taylor
17. Martin Kennedy

18. Ben Barba

If this side was picked on form it'd be radically different but I'm satisfied with the make up of it. Hopefully Friday's performance against the Tigers was a sign of things to come from Locky as he's otherwise been very ordinary for the Broncs.

I named Barba 18th man because I wanted to discuss whether or not there's any merit in playing him as the Bowen utility impact role from the 2004-05 era? Personally I see points in Barba and in a close one I reckon Queensland could rely on Barba for an electric 10-15 minute period from the X-Factor. Also I'm not sure who else caught it this morning, but seeing that footage of Barba in the crowd asking Folau for a photo was incredibly surreal.

The other selection that may surprise many is 17 Kennedy - yes I'd have him before Shillo right now. Kennedy has impressed me with his mature approach to footy and I believe he'll be a more valuable player than Shillo who just appears to be disinterested at this stage of the season.

isaiah

Bench
i'm hoping mal has along talk with inglis before game 1, shows him game 1, 2009 minus the trys he scored, and say, see all this good defensive stuff you did here, we need you to focus on repeating that for us.

user_nat

Coach
I wouldn't have Kennedy in my team.

As bad as Shillo has been, he was so good for Qld last year that he has to be in the team.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
David Taylor does not rate. He is not tough enough for Origin football, nor disposed to the hard work required to be a part of the Queensland Origin team. This of course could change with time, maturity and decent coaching but at this stage he's not earned his stripes.

Shillington, on the other hand has proven himself and will be picked. This is the essence of Queensland, we do not abandon proven performers because of some early season poor form.

I've every confidence he'll rise to the occasion for us.

andrew057

First Grade
David Taylor does not rate. He is not tough enough for Origin football, nor disposed to the hard work required to be a part of the Queensland Origin team. This of course could change with time, maturity and decent coaching but at this stage he's not earned his stripes.

Shillington, on the other hand has proven himself and will be picked. This is the essence of Queensland, we do not abandon proven performers because of some early season poor form.

I've every confidence he'll rise to the occasion for us.

Bang on.

Big Pete

Referee
I can see the Shillo selection biting us in the arse although he will likely keep his place.

Taylor's lucky in that Costigan's injured. I really don't see any other suitable options to come off the bench.

isaiah

Bench
I can see the Shillo selection biting us in the arse although he will likely keep his place.

Taylor's lucky in that Costigan's injured. I really don't see any other suitable options to come off the bench.

i can't see them picking taylor: johnson, harrison, and myles in the starting side, thaiday off the bench

johns_reds

First Grade
Updated Side...

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ash Harrison

14. Cooper Cronk
15. Ben Hannant
16. Dave Taylor
17. Martin Kennedy

18. Ben Barba

If this side was picked on form it'd be radically different but I'm satisfied with the make up of it. Hopefully Friday's performance against the Tigers was a sign of things to come from Locky as he's otherwise been very ordinary for the Broncs.

I named Barba 18th man because I wanted to discuss whether or not there's any merit in playing him as the Bowen utility impact role from the 2004-05 era? Personally I see points in Barba and in a close one I reckon Queensland could rely on Barba for an electric 10-15 minute period from the X-Factor. Also I'm not sure who else caught it this morning, but seeing that footage of Barba in the crowd asking Folau for a photo was incredibly surreal.

The other selection that may surprise many is 17 Kennedy - yes I'd have him before Shillo right now. Kennedy has impressed me with his mature approach to footy and I believe he'll be a more valuable player than Shillo who just appears to be disinterested at this stage of the season.

Not a bad team pete, however i disagree on one point and that is shillo, i can't see how you could leave him out for kennedy, i know his club form hasn't been the best but i'd still have him in my qld team.

The only other thing i'd look at is maybe Johnson to 13, Harrison to bench and drop Taylor.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Taylor will be starting for Souffs at prop over the coming weeks due to the injuries they have in their front row stocks.

How he handles that will go a long way to seeing if he deserves another origin berth or not.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Updated Side...

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ash Harrison

14. Cooper Cronk
15. Ben Hannant
16. Dave Taylor
17. Martin Kennedy

18. Ben Barba

Martin who.....? Err, that's a NO to Kennedy at this stage.

Barba, yes as 18th man. Valuable experience to train with the squad. No to a starting spot ahead of Cronk.

I think the backline BigPete is spot on. Yow Yeh being the biggest worry. Let's give him the gig and see how he goes.

To the forwards and the bench........a couple of changes for mine

8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Cooper Cronk
15. Ben Hannant
16. Dave Taylor
17. Ash Harrison

18. Ben Barba

For me the question is, who between Shillington and Scott gets the nod? We don't need 4 front rowers.....Thaiday is in the team as well.

I think Dave Taylor will fire big time this year. He will exercise all his frustrations with playing in a shit team like the Bunnies out on the blues

btw......thought you were a little harsh in describing Lockyer's form as "very ordinary" this year. Whilst yes.......he hasn't been busting sides wide open, I thought at worst it could be described as sound form. I didn't watch all the game against the Roosters......from what I did see, he played an pivotal role in steering the side home.

Latest posts