What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 QLD Team

j0nesy

Bench
Damn that is a strong team, beats NSW almost across the park. The only area that I think NSW perhaps has a slight edge is in the 2nd row.

andrew057

First Grade
Gorden Tallis says Dave Taylor doesn't deserve Maroons State of Origin selection

• May 11, 2011 12:35PM

482295-dave-taylor.jpg

Wasted talent: Maroons forward Dave Taylor looks on during State of Origin I in

2010. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

FORMER Maroons firebrand Gorden Tallis claims Dave Taylor hasn't done enough to warrant Queensland State of Origin selection, with the South Sydney forward's talent going to waste through a lack of dedication.

Taylor, who has battled weight and fitness problems throughout his career, played in all three Origin games last year but has struggled to live up to his undoubted potential with the Rabbitohs this season.

Tallis, in his role as Bunnies forwards coach, works closely with Taylor but fears the 22-year-old's lackadaisical approach to the game will cost him what could be a glittering career.

"I just think that it's a shame," Tallis said.

"You see these players that are once-in-a-lifetime [talents] that probably don't reach their potential.

"But there's been plenty in the past and there's going to be plenty in the future.

"You think 'god, if only they got a bit fitter or they took their footy seriously or you didn't see them at the pub every Saturday night'.

"There's guys like that everywhere.

"The penny's got to drop with him [Taylor].

"I think his mum's told him, I reckon his dad's told him, I reckon everybody that knows him has told him.

"But some people are so in their comfort zone."

Tallis, a three-time premiership winner with Brisbane and an Origin great, was worried Taylor's lack of fitness would get exposed in the heat of an Origin battle.

"I'm just curious that if Queensland got injuries and they had to throw him in there and he had to tough it out for 60 or so minutes, I don't think he could do that," Tallis said.

"He's got to do a little bit more [to deserve selection].

"I think he's still growing.

"Potentially he's got to grow inside his own head and start believing the size he is.

"He's 120kg and still tries to run around blokes."

Hear hear.

Tallis is a bit of dope, but makes a lot of sense with what hes saying here. I dont want to see Taylor in the team, given his performances this season.

Mr Fourex

Bench
When Taylor is on his game he is far more damaging than Parker.

A lot of players in the past have played for QLD after being out of sorts in the club games

most have had blinders.

TBH I couldn't give a rats ringhole what Dave Taylor does or doesn't do at the Bunnies

As long as he's ready to go on SOO night.

I guess though......club form in consideration, he's probably only got the game one to prove he's up to it.

andrew057

First Grade
This isn't 2006-07, Parker would be useless off the bench.

Youre right its not, hes in some of the best form of his career right now, add that to what he did last season, theres not much more a player could do.

He'd offer more than Harrison on or off the bench.

Big Pete

Referee
I rate Harrison higher as a ball player and a defender. Parker has a bigger motor and that's reflected in his stats. but Origin is about quality more than it's about quantity.

Parker 06-07 was actually a really good fringe runner who didn't solely rely on just running good lines. Definitely an unsung hero of that 06 campaign.

Big Pete

Referee
In all fairness, Parker has come a long way since 2005.

I still think he's behind Harrison and Johnson in the workhorse role though.

hellteam

First Grade
Ehhh don't pick Parker. Would be no good in Origin. Played before and played badly. I think he was playing better last year than this anyway.

Harrison is much much better. So is Taylor. Parker is a solid club player, no more in my opinion.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Well behind them......

Personally I'd have Myles, Thaiday, Harrisson, Johnson and Crocker well ahead of Parker. Corey may edge Luck - close call.

Big Pete

Referee
And like a crack addict it all turned out pretty sad in the end. Just look at games 2 and 3 back in 2009.

You've got to remember this is 2011, Crocker is as about as useful to us as Price is.

Big Pete

Referee
Did you have those same nightmares when Hodges returned in 2006?

Parker has become a much better player since then and to have Crocker over him is a joke.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
No - I thought Hodges deserged another crack at it.

You and I have previously agreed on one thing absolutely - a big fast outside back is better than a small fast outside back. Although the way you expressed the sentiment led to a little bit of banter at your expense.

But Parker, despite the heart, just doesn't have any attribute to shine in origin. Like you say - he's no DJ running around the pitch. He's no Ashley with ball in hand. ANd he's no Myles/Thaiday/Crocker at the point of impact.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Oh yes those 'scathing' retorts, can't say they were on par with some of those Willow levelled you with but believe me I was reeling for days.

Point is, players mature and Parker has done so. To put him on par with Luck is insulting and misguided.

Latest posts