What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 top 25 squads for NRL

aqua_duck

Coach
Dogs and Knights look to have pretty shaky halves combinations.
Even if Beau Henry fails to live up to the hype, he'll still be a massive improvement on Scott Dureau. Hell, even Paul Carige would be an improvement on Dureau

mrpwnd

Bench
Poor? I wouldn't say that at all. Especially not in the last few seasons. The left hand side combination of Roberts, Morris and Goodwin has been outstanding.

Fullback is the weakest position I admit that. Barba will either shine or crash. Lett will probably get a run though, and he's talented.

Nothing wrong with either starting wingers and centres. Turner and Goodwin are both very good player. Morris and Wright/Idris (whoever Moore goes with) are also very strong and of course Morris is a rep standard player.

I'm not saying we have the greatest back line in the world, but it's very far from "poor".
Turner is a curse.
Goodwin is one of the slowest wingers i've seen for a while.
Wright is definitely not first grade standard.
Idris plays better at 2nd row(imo).

petetheileet

First Grade
Id give Lett a go...

He would have to be one of the best players stuck in NSW Cup the last 2 seasons, when you look at some of the rubbish outside backs in the comp, it's incredible he wasn't snapped up by someone earlier

stoodamire

Juniors
Here's my Manly squad.

1) B. Stewart
2) M. Robertson
3) J. Lyon
4) S. Matai
5) D. Williams
6) K. Foran
7) D. Cherry-Evans
8) J. King
9) M. Ballin
10) B. Kite
11) A. Watmough
12) S. Rodney
13) G. Stewart

14) J. Galuvao
15) T. Williams
16) G. Rose
17) D. Harrison

18) W. Hopoate
19) D. Whare
20) M. Oldfield
21) M. Cross
22) J. Buhrer
23) V. Mauro
24) T. Robinson
25) T. Seu Seu

Noname36

First Grade
Dogs and Knights look to have pretty shaky halves combinations.

The Knights halves will be fine. If Henry doesn't make it, then Gidley can just jump back in there where he played so well towards the end of the year. The Dogs aren't quite as luck in that regard. They have a lot of unproven youngsters fighting it out for both of the halves spots. At least Gidley and Mullen have proven they can get the job done there together if Henry is a dud.

Newcastle's prop rotation however is shocking.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
1. Josh Dugan
2. Joel Monaghan
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Blake Ferguson
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Terry Campese
7. Matt Orford (if it happens)
8. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
9. Glen Buttriss
10. David Shillington
11. Joel Thompson
12. Bronson Harrison
13. Shaun Fensom

14. Alan Tongue
15. Trevor Thurling
16. Dane Tilse
17. Brett White

18. Joe Picker
19. Travis Waddell
20. Josh Miller
21. Sam Mataora
22. Danny Galea
23. David Milne
24. Drury Low
25. Josh McCrone

26. Sam Williams (In case we don't sign Orford)

Our forward pack is insanely good... I don't see us getting Orford though.
Such as shame about Campese... cause that side is a real contender even without Orford.

MatthewA

Juniors
Turner is a curse.
Goodwin is one of the slowest wingers i've seen for a while.
Wright is definitely not first grade standard.
Idris plays better at 2nd row(imo).

I don't agree at all. Turner was excellent in 2010. You can't fault the bloke because you don't like him. Goodwin may not be fast, but he certainly isn't slow. He looks like a lanky, unco bloke when he runs but it's just his style. Wright was fantastic in first grade for the Eels so I'm not sure if he's the guy you're thinking about. Agreed with Idris I hope we see him off the bench next year.

Speed isn't everything, even though we have a good dose of it. Just look at the Dragons back line. Boyd is no speedster and neither are Gasnier or Cooper.

aqua_duck

Coach
Jono Wright is absolutely average IMO, he's a very poor man's Joel Reddy. Turner is like Hazem minus the goalkicking

Big Pete

Referee
Errr what?

Turner is like the complete opposite of El Masri, he's basically like Michael Robinson.

Ryan

Juniors
Here's my Manly squad.

1) B. Stewart
2) M. Robertson
3) J. Lyon
4) S. Matai
5) D. Williams
6) K. Foran
7) D. Cherry-Evans
8) J. King
9) M. Ballin
10) B. Kite
11) A. Watmough
12) S. Rodney
13) G. Stewart

14) J. Galuvao
15) T. Williams
16) G. Rose
17) D. Harrison

18) W. Hopoate
19) D. Whare
20) M. Oldfield
21) M. Cross
22) J. Buhrer
23) V. Mauro
24) T. Robinson
25) T. Seu Seu

Honestly, one of the weaker squads of the past few years for us mate. Lots of lower tier players compared to other squads.

chefman21

Juniors
Honestly, one of the weaker squads of the past few years for us mate. Lots of lower tier players compared to other squads.

Still, there is enough their to challenge and challenge well. Foran needs a big season though. The 1-5 and the pack looks great. All depends on the halves and especially Foran. A couple of injuries, especially to Foran, Lyon and Stewart and they might struggle.

penrose 06

Juniors
My Warriors team for 2011:

1 - Hohaia
2 - Locke
3 - Inu
4 - Ropati
5 - Vatuvei
6 - Maloney
7 - Seymour
8 - Sam Rapira
9 - Heremaia
10 - Matulino
11 - Luck
12 - Mannering
13 - Mateo

14 - Mara
15 - Packer
16 - Brown
17 - Ta'ai

Louisi
Latimore
Lillyman
Taylor
Steve Rapira
Tupou
John
Johnson
Moon

Unsure about Inu at centre but not many other obvious options and Mateo at lock will give plenty of options in what was really a 'no frills' back row last year. By all accounts there's still a bit of cash left for another palyer or two - maybe a centre or a hard nosed prop forward

BranVan3000

Coach
1. Wesser
2. Merritt
3. Farrell
4. Champion
5. Talanoa
6. Sutton
7. Sandow
8. Stuart
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. Burgess
12. Taylor
13. Lowe

14. Ross
15. Geddes
16. Crocker
17. Pettybourne

18. McPherson
19. Clark
20. Tyrrell
21. Falloon
22. Simpson
23. Corrigan
24. McQueen
25. Morgan
26. Vaivai
27. Mansour
28. Reynolds
29. Mundine
30. Webster
Hey maybe our team will be so big next year that it won't matter if we get decimated by injuries again :lol:

Unfortunately a lot of those good players won't get a game. I'd leave out 18 & 20 - 24 no problem

EDIT: Actually that's not fair to Beau Falloon, he was great when Luke was out. So many talented back rowers though...

aqua_duck

Coach
Errr what?

Turner is like the complete opposite of El Masri, he's basically like Michael Robinson.
How are Turner and Hazem complete opposites? If this were true than this would mean Hazem was big and fast which he ws neither, so pretty much like Turner

Big Pete

Referee
El Masiri was more of a defensive winger, who relied on know how to get the better of opponents.

Turner is just your run of the mill winger who relies on speed and really has no defensive game to speak of.

aqua_duck

Coach
El Masiri was more of a defensive winger, who relied on know how to get the better of opponents.

Turner is just your run of the mill winger who relies on speed and really has no defensive game to speak of.

I disagree, to say Turner relies on speed would imply he has speed which isn't the case. Turner does make good reads in defence though, especially coming off his wing. I rmember in 2009 he and Will Chambers were statistically the best defensive wing/centre combo in the NRL

Big Pete

Referee
Is that really a stat? Wow, I just recall Turner being caught out on so many occasions in d either through bad positioning or reading, which is an area Hazem basically built his game on.

He's not exactly Kevin Gordon...but he's no Luke Covell/El Masri either. Hence why I said he was like Robertson, that comparison is just.

D

Deleted member 10972

I agree.

Turner is in the same category as James McManus, Beau Ryan, Michael Robertson, Luke Burt, etc - just an average first grade winger who can score tries when the team is doing well, but does little when the team itself struggles.

Sam Perrett, Michael Gordon and Jason Nightingale are examples of physically average players much like the above, but seem to play out of their skin on a weekly basis. Hence, I rate them much much higher than the aforementioned group.