What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 top 25 squads for NRL

boxhead

First Grade
I would hardly say Luke Burt is 'average', he is one of the top five points-scorers of all time. I agree somewhat with your other points, however I think I disagree with you about Michael Gordon and Sam Perrett as well. Perrett has unbelievable leg drive and skill, he is without a doubt the best dummy-half runner in the NRL for mine, even when he isn't on (look at 2009).
Gordon is a freakish talent, with superb speed and a natural talent at fullback, wing or centre.

Luke, across his career, is higher above Mick Gordon because he's been around for a long time and consistently done well and in some seasons (i.e. 2007 before he was injured) he was awesome. However, Mick Gordon and Perrett will be far ahead of Lukie IMO as they grow older.....I don't know if either of them will go past him in points-scoring though(Gordon probably will if he keeps up his form).

Just my two cents.

Noa

First Grade
I disagree, to say Turner relies on speed would imply he has speed which isn't the case. Turner does make good reads in defence though, especially coming off his wing. I rmember in 2009 he and Will Chambers were statistically the best defensive wing/centre combo in the NRL
This is true and its actually funny how wrong Petes view of Turner is. Saying he's fast when he clearly isnt and saying he's not good defensively when that is clearly a strength of his e.g. shutting down attacking plays.

aqua_duck

Coach
I would imagine over 100m, Robertson would probably beat Turner by a good 10m, Turner is quick over say the 1st 10-20m but is pretty slow after that, I distinctly remember Ben Creagh running him down within 40m despite giving him a good 5m headstart. I mean he's probably abit quick than Covell and Hazem (I reckon most backrowers would be) but to say he has speed is abit off the mark. One on one defence I wouldn't say Turner is spectacular but he does make good reads, only problem is having to play outside Jamal Idris doesn't help

typicalfan

Coach
El Masri by the end was great positionally. El Masri when done and dusted was a much better winger than Turner.

Boofhead

Juniors
2011 GOLD COAST TITANS SQUAD
Players are listed in their preferred positions & squad is subject to change

FULLBACK
Shannon WALKER (2011)
William ZILLMAN (2012)

WING/CENTRE
Kevin GORDON (2014)
David MEAD (2013)
Steven MICHAELS (2012)
Dom PEYROUX (2011)
Joseph TOMANE (2011)
Esikeli TONGA (2011)
Clinton TOOPI (2011)
Joe VICKERY (?)

FIVE EIGHTH/HALFBACK
Preston CAMPBELL (2011)
Luke CAPEWELL (?)
Scott PRINCE © (2014)
Jordan RANKIN (2011)

HOOKER
Nathan FRIEND (2011)
Kayne LAWTON (2011)

FRONT FROW
Luke BAILEY (2011)
Michael HENDERSON (2012)
Will MATTHEWS (2011)
Brad MEYERS (?)
Dayne WESTON (2011)
Matthew WHITE (2012)

LOCK
Greg BIRD (2011)
Ashley HARRISON (2012)

BACK ROW
Ryan JAMES (2014)
Anthony LAFFRANCHI (2011)
Mark MINICHIELLO (2012)
Ben RIDGE (2013)
Ryan SIMPKINS (?)
Sam TAGATAESE (2013)
Bodene THOMPSON (2013)

UTILITY
Riley BROWN (?)
Luke O’DWYER (2012)

COACH
John CARTWRIGHT

IN
Luke CAPEWELL (Rabbitohs)
Steven MICHAELS (Mid Season - Broncos)
Dom PEYROUX (Tweed Seagulls)
Joe VICKERY (Dragons)
Dayne WESTON (Burleigh Bears)

OUT
Jordan ATKINS (Eels)
Selasi BERDIE (Released)
Aaron CANNINGS (Released)
Marshall CHALK (Released)
Josh GRAHAM (Released)
Mat ROGERS (Retired)

http://forum.titans.com.au/showthread.php?t=18148

Butters

Bench
FULLBACK
Shannon WALKER (2011)
William ZILLMAN (2012)

Will he even get any decent game time next year? Or will they continue the trend of giving him one or two games and giving up on him after he doesn't win the game single handedly?

Boofhead

Juniors
Will he even get any decent game time next year? Or will they continue the trend of giving him one or two games and giving up on him after he doesn't win the game single handedly?

Wouldn't count on it - Zillman will most likely be given full reign at fullback.

D

Deleted member 10972

1. Anthony Minichiello (2012)
2. Sam Perrett (2012)
3. Shaun Kenny-Dowall (2011)
4. Kane Linnett (???? - apparently 2011)
5. Phil Graham (2011 - linked to early release)
6. Todd Carney (2013)
7. Mitchell Pearce (2013)
8. Jason Ryles (2011)
9. Jake Friend (???? - no idea)
10. Nate Myles (2012)
11. FP Nuuausala (???? - apparently 2011)
12. Mitch Aubusson (2013)
13. Braith Anasta (2011)

14. Anthony Watts (2013)
15. Daniel Conn (2011)
16. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (2012)
17. Martin Kennedy (???? - apparently 2011)

18. Mose Masoe (???? - apparently 2012)
19. Tinirau Arona (2011)
20. Lama Tasi (2012)
21. Justin Carney (2012)
22. Steve Naughton (2011)
23. Tom Symonds (2011)
24. Anthony Cherrington (2012 - linked to Harlequins 1 year loan)
25. Ben Jones (2012 - linked to early release)

Apparently we have signed Wayne Ulugia as well. The best of the Roosters U20 players staying with the club are mostly signing to feeder club Newtown I believe, in particular big prop Isaac Maliota.

Big Pete

Referee
Official Melbourne Storm Squad

Adam Blair
Maurice Blair
Jesse Bromwich
Dane Chisholm
Cooper Cronk
Matt Duffie
Jake Hawkins
Ryan Hinchcliffe
Mitchell Johnson
Luke Kelly
Sione Kite
Rory Kostjaysn
Jaiman Lowe
Todd Lowrie
Sika Manu
Tu'u Maori
Elijah Niko
Bryan Norrie
Justin O'Neil
Kevin Proctor
Anthony Quinn
Robbie Rochow
Billy Slater
Cam Smith
Chase Stanley
Troy Thompson
Atelea Vea
Gareth Widdop
Adam Woolnough

-------------------

Source: http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/de...&title=storm’s-pre-season-officially-underway

I'd imagine that's the full time senior squad. The likes of Tohu Harris will probably train part time with this team, interesting to note Nielsen wasn't named. Was he just overlooked by the website's admin. or has he been released? Because I'm pretty sure he signed on for a further 2 or so years.

boxhead

First Grade
Cant seem to see a player by the name of BRAD MURRAY on this list

isnt he meant to be all our solutions to the havles situation

You missed him, he is in the number 7 jersey.

Bazal's top 25 is not what it will likely be, no offence to Bazal but he excluded a few players that will definitely be in the top 17 next year.

This is more likely what it will be for the Eels at the start of the year, if Matt Orford signs (which seems likely now);

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Joel Reddy
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe Junior
6. Daniel Mortimer
7. Matt Orford
8. Tim Mannah
9. Casey Mcguire
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Justin Horo

14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Shane Shackleton
16. Justin Poore
17. Carl Webb

18. Jeff Robson
19. Matt Keating
20. Tom Humble
21. Taniela Lasalo
22. Manase Manuokafoa
23. Ken Sio
24. Brad Murray
25. Paki Afu

The 6, 7, 9 and 14 are all severely debatable at this stage.....the rest of the 17 is pretty much guaranteed, maybe a few issues of position (i.e. whether Poore or Mannah starts, whether Shack or Horo starts, etc).

The 18-25 is also debatable, however at this stage quite a few of those players are certainties (Robson, Keating, Humble, Lasalo, Manuokafoa, Murray).

This is all subject to change however, although I am expecting of the spine positions that Anthony Mitchell will take the number 14 and Mcguire seems likely for the number 9, and Orford for the 7. The 6 position is the most hotly debated of all of them.
I've also probably missed a few players that should be in the top 25, but that's what I expect at this stage.
I think that 18-25 has too many outside backs and not enough forwards, I think that's where I have made the issue.
And yeah it does look like there may be another signing aside from Orford.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
You missed him, he is in the number 7 jersey.

Bazal's top 25 is not what it will likely be, no offence to Bazal but he excluded a few players that will definitely be in the top 17 next year.

This is more likely what it will be for the Eels at the start of the year, if Matt Orford signs (which seems likely now);

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Joel Reddy
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe Junior
6. Daniel Mortimer
7. Matt Orford
8. Tim Mannah
9. Casey Mcguire
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Justin Horo

14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Shane Shackleton
16. Justin Poore
17. Carl Webb

18. Jeff Robson
19. Matt Keating
20. Tom Humble
21. Taniela Lasalo
22. Manase Manuokafoa
23. Etu Uaisale
24. Brad Murray
25. Paki Afu

The 6, 7, 9 and 14 are all severely debatable at this stage.....the rest of the 17 is pretty much guaranteed, maybe a few issues of position (i.e. whether Poore or Mannah starts, whether Shack or Horo starts, etc).

The 18-25 is also debatable, however at this stage quite a few of those players are certainties (Robson, Keating, Humble, Lasalo, Manuokafoa, Murray).

This is all subject to change however, although I am expecting of the spine positions that Anthony Mitchell will take the number 14 and Mcguire seems likely for the number 9, and Orford for the 7. The 6 position is the most hotly debated of all of them.
I've also probably missed a few players that should be in the top 25, but that's what I expect at this stage.
I think that 18-25 has too many outside backs and not enough forwards, I think that's where I have made the issue.
And yeah it does look like there may be another signing aside from Orford.

that squad may look vastly different soon so I would keep an open mind and I don't think it would necesarily be better than the one you've put forward..

boxhead

First Grade
that squad may look vastly different soon so I would keep an open mind and I don't think it would necesarily be better than the one you've put forward..

I see what you mean that Kearney may change the squad around quite a bit (if that's what you mean), at this stage it is up in arms because of the new coach and some young firing players.

Doh....now I realized I forgot Ken Sio and a few others.
Also depends on whether we re-sign players like Lee Te Maari and Brendan Oake I think.

MatthewA

Juniors
I don't think Paki Afu will go so well. Always had lots of attitude and training problems. Never wanted to improve his fitness and is only good for 20 minutes a match. He has lots of potential but I don't think Parra will tap into it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I see what you mean that Kearney may change the squad around quite a bit (if that's what you mean), at this stage it is up in arms because of the new coach and some young firing players.

Doh....now I realized I forgot Ken Sio and a few others.
Also depends on whether we re-sign players like Lee Te Maari and Brendan Oake I think.

no I don't think you know what i mean, I can't say any more on that...

Oake and Te Mari won't be at the club next season.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't think Paki Afu will go so well. Always had lots of attitude and training problems. Never wanted to improve his fitness and is only good for 20 minutes a match. He has lots of potential but I don't think Parra will tap into it.

I'd have more confidence if he was under Kearney than Anderson..

nqcowboy87

Bench
Gold Coast Titans

FULLBACK

William Zillman (HLF)
Shannon Walker (CTW)

CENTRE/WING
Kevin Gordon
David Mead (FLB)
Esikeli Tonga (2RW)
Clinton Toopi
Joseph Tomane
Steven Michaels

HALFBACK/FIVE EIGHTH
Scott Prince (C)
Preston Campbell (FLB)
Luke Capewell
Jordan Rankin

FRONT FROW
Luke Bailey
Michael Henderson
Matthew White
Bodene Thompson (2RW)
Will Matthews
Selasi Berdie (2RW)

HOOKER
Nathan Friend
Kayne Lawton

LOCK
Ashley Harrison
Greg Bird (HLF)

SECOND ROW
Anthony Laffranchi (FRF)
Mark Minichiello
Brad Meyers (FRF)
Sam Tagataese (CTW)
Ben Ridge
Ryan James

UTILITY
Luke O’Dwyer
Riley Brown
Marshall Chalk

---

POTENTIAL TITANS 17

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Esikeli Tonga
4. Clinton Toopi
5. David Mead
6. Luke Capewell
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Anthony Laffranchi
11. Ashley Harrison
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Greg Bird

14. Michael Henderson
15. Brad Meyers
16. Bodene Thompson
17. Preston Campbell

probably not a big thing but its safe to say jackson nicolau wont be anywhere near the top 25 or either the jets top 25 which is dissapoitning he showed so much promise

Stagger eel

Staff member
probably not a big thing but its safe to say jackson nicolau wont be anywhere near the top 25 or either the jets top 25 which is dissapoitning he showed so much promise

considering he was once compared to Fittler i would say that's very dissapointing.

Latest posts