What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 World Cup squad

typicalfan

Coach
Hauritz works if only Doherty goes too. Hauritz cannot hold up an end he either takes wickets, goes for runs or both. Doherty however can and has shown that capability in the domestic arena time and again.

Doherty gets picked in Brisbane and Hauritz gets in the WC squad are these selectors really the full deck?

We lack a fast medium bowler that can take pace off the ball a la Bracken used too. Ideal for Indian conditions, just because you can bowl 150 doesnt mean World Class batsmen get worried. Makes me feel Watson will be key with both bat and ball.

Marsh should be used as an opener if he is indeed the replacement mind you nobody can do the job Hussey can.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Marsh should open or be nowhere near the side, Mussey is a middle order finisher. So instead of replacing him with someone like Ferguson who has a great record down the order they replace him with an Opener :crazy:

Honestly these cretins are getting worse.

aussies1st

Staff member
If we wanted a opener get Hodge in there his form says it all. Marsh too often scores slowly and gets out, we already have Clarke doing that we don't need another.

typicalfan

Coach
Marsh should open or be nowhere near the side, Mussey is a middle order finisher. So instead of replacing him with someone like Ferguson who has a great record down the order they replace him with an Opener :crazy:

Honestly these cretins are getting worse.
What they don't realise is poor selections take their toll on players form etc. Wouldnt be surprised if the lack of form of Ponting and Clarke can somehow be drawn back to this.

Haddin is in good form in the test series, gets dropped for the T20s and had a shocker in the ODI. Bollinger was the form bowler heading to Brisbane and he lost form since.

They arent just picking the wrong players they are ruining careers this stuff could have a long term effect even if they get booted tomorrow the damage has been done.

beads6

First Grade
Disagree, Marsh is in the better form, and can open if needed. Could be used to give Watson a break in the tournament.

Incorrect as per usual. Ferguson is a like for like player and would be PERFECT as replacement for Mussey.

So I guess the side will be

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
Hussey (the spastic one)
Smith
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Bollinger

Hastings
Marsh
Tait
Paine

can't see us winning it with this side, India and South Africa will beat us easily.

typicalfan

Coach
I think Hussey gone pretty much spells the end of our genuine chances of winning he can fluke us wins even when we play bad. Ferguson should be there but i think regardless we are pushing uphill.

We need Ponting, Watson, Clarke, Lee and Johnson to have an amazing cup. I am not confident on 4/5 of those

Mig2006

Juniors
Finch and Christian both have massive power and would be dynamic on those small subcontinent fields. Both would be in my squad.....

Bazal

Post Whore
sh*t squad IMO. Doherty is better in ODIs than Haurie, Christian over Hastings and Ferguson over lolDussey...

Bazal

Post Whore
Apparently Marsh is in for Hussey for the next few ODIs, according to Fox T20 commentatirs via my mate...so maybe he'll be replacing him here if he misses.

Marsh is only in the squad for the next 3 ODIs, I reckon Ferguson will come in for the last 3 ODIs and then selectors will make up their mind.

Ferguson is best option to replace Hussey IMO.

Paine is the back-up opener already.

D

Deleted member 10972

I would have gone with:

1. Shaun Marsh
2. Shane Watson
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Cameron White
5. Brad Haddin
6. Michael Hussey
7. David Hussey
8. Steve Smith - in limited overs, he is serviceable as a frontline spinner with Hussey/White as backup
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Brett Lee
11. Shaun Tait - I would have had Clint McKay in the team if he was fit

12. Doug Bollinger
13. Xavier Doherty - best limited overs spinner around, ideal for a turning track, shouldn't be discarded because of poor Tests
14. Daniel Christian - offers more strike with ball and bigger hitting with bat than Hastings, is also in peak form
15. Tim Paine

So I am replacing Hastings, Hauritz, Clarke with Christian, Doherty and Marsh. If Hussey doesn't pull up 100% fit, then bring in Ferguson - Clarke needs a spell to get his mind right, as right now he is looking mentally fragile.

I would even consider bringing Siddle ahead of Dougie...Siddle might be average, but he at least has something on the board so far this summer, and with ODI spearheads McKay and Harris injured, there aren't too many other options available.

franklin2323

Immortal
Very Strange Selections in the squad. No Shiddle, Hauritz is back and Tait/Lee opening bowling attack are positives.

Paine/Marsh both backup Batsmen. Yet both open Australia's top 3 is set in stone.

Hauritz dropped for game 1 yet he is the prefered spinner idiots.

Good to see a former team mate of mine Hastings in the squad. Also he is a former St Dominic's boy a good westie boy

Haddin could drop down the order. Although he's obviously more established as an opener now, Watson had outstanding success down the otder last World Cup

alenfort

Juniors
My 2011 World Cup squad

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke (C)
White
Hussey (VC)
Smith
Johnson
Lee