What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Changing topic now.

Newcastle - Sportingbet onto the back of the jersey - but also more changes - nib no longer occupies the front, but now the sleeves. RHMC has disappeared altogether.

Saint Doc

Coach
I have a gripe regarding jerseys.

Whats the point in forcing everyone to have alternate jerseys if we allow clubs to choose jerseys that have a reasonable clash?

Case in point is Saturday night, and the Eels and Knights play:

Matthew+Keating+NRL+Rd+17+Eels+v+Knights+1flNTlYrRh7l.jpg

Im not saying it was impossible to tell them apart...but it was hard enough. It wasn't aesthetically pleasing viewing as there were 26 pairs of blue shorts on the field, 13 blue jerseys and 13 half blue jerseys. I know the home team has the right to pick what they'll wear, and the away team just has to pick the shirt that clashes the least...but how much better did the game at the start of the year look?

020512124743_penk.jpg

Bold, bright contrasting colours.

Its not the biggest issue in the game, but I just don't get it. If both clubs have jerseys that would really set them apart, lets use them, yeah? Parramatta are probably the biggest offenders, as they choose to wear their blue kit against the knights and bulldogs. Sharks vs Titans are another problem, with both Titans jerseys being similar to the Sharks jersey.

Last years Grand Final was another one where it could have been better.There was no clash like the above games, and again, I respect the right of Manly to choose their preferred jersey, but the contrast between Manly in white and Warriors in black would have been much better than maroon and white vs white.

Timmah

Staff member
Absolutely 100% agree and it's getting up my nose too.

The Bulldogs and Dragons home strips clash less than the above Eels Knights pic, yet the NRL deems that one club must use their alternate strip.

Just last week the Tigers pink jerseys were a reasonable clash with the Knights striped jersey as well... just doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, to be perfectly fair, the Eels do have the right to wear blue at home as it is their home strip, the only real problem being is that blue is one of the most prevalent club colours in the comp.

Stinkler

Juniors
If the Knights had white shorts it wouldn't be as much of an issue.
Easy fix.

Same as last year when the Sharks wore white shorts when they played at the Gold Coast. They've never worn them again though!

Saint Doc

Coach
If the Knights had white shorts it wouldn't be as much of an issue.
Easy fix.

Same as last year when the Sharks wore white shorts when they played at the Gold Coast. They've never worn them again though!

Yep white shorts would go a long way to fixing the problem.

Maybe the problem is with the NRL. Why approve an alternate jersey like the Knights one when it means that they will still clash away to Parra, GC, NQL and Dogs?

Timmah

Staff member
Yep white shorts would go a long way to fixing the problem.

Maybe the problem is with the NRL. Why approve an alternate jersey like the Knights one when it means that they will still clash away to Parra, GC, NQL and Dogs?
This. This this this.

Newcastle seem to have carte blanche this year anyway, supposed to only be allowed to wear heritage jerseys 8 times yet have already worn it 9 or 10 times, and their home strip only once.

Timmah

Staff member
It wasn't a direct clash by any means, but it was far more of a clash than some the NRL have ruled upon in recent years.

Put it this way, if Saturday's was not a clash, then Canterbury v Saints should be home strips.

Saint Doc

Coach
Frailty I'm not saying it was a clash. I'm saying it's much harder to tell apart blue and white vs blue as opposed to blue and red vs gold.

Contrasting colours makes it much more enjoyable for neutrals

LineBall

Juniors
Tiger stripes this Friday:

2012WTbalmainheritagejersey249.jpg

Geez I wish the ARLC was able to step in and say this is what the tigers must wear for all games for ever and a day. And realistically - this one jersey would be plenty - it wouldn't clash with anybody.

Timmah

Staff member
Then what homage do they pay to the Magpies?

Two jerseys is fine by me, a black and white and a orange and black.

LineBall

Juniors
Then what homage do they pay to the Magpies?

Two jerseys is fine by me, a black and white and a orange and black.

True Timmah, just wish they would pick something classic and distinctive and stick with it. I know Gazaf has done some designs before which incorporated the black white and orange well.

It's just all this chopping and changing BS that annoys me.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
what if they also added thin white lines next to the black lines? no idea how it would look (possibly like shit, but it would incorporate the colours of the 2 clubs)

Status
Not open for further replies.