What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Sam

First Grade
On the subject of Souths, I think they should get a totally different away jersey - not just change the side-panels from white to black (& vice versa).

Pick one as their home jersey and come up with a totally different light or dark alternate, depending on their choice of home strip.

I'd love to see a predominantly red away jersey with a green band or hoop across the chest area. Very similar to Portugal's football jersey.

GAZF

First Grade
I doubt sleeves will ever be removed- we'd look just like AFL players, plus what would happen to the all-important sleeve sponsor.

All this garb about no collars equalling less for players to grab onto etc. etc. is just marketing bullshit speak. If it were the case, no team wearing jerseys with collars would ever have defeated a team without collars on their jerseys. It's just the fashion trend at the moment, I have little doubt collars will come back in vogue at some time. Kind of similar to how 5 years ago those awful t-shirt collars were looking like becoming the norm, but the last few years have (thankfully) seen more of a return to the classic v-neck.

I dont think we'll see a team return to a traditional style collar full time. Traditional collars have been around a long time but, as with any other piece of equipment, has become more streamlined. The big fold over collar will go the way of long sleeves, long shorts and work boots with nails in them.

I can only think of soccer teams going back to full collars occasionally but since its not a contact sport I find it hard to see this translating over to league. I don't mind the Warriors collar (minus the piping) and we may see open collars with a contrasting fake foldover collar just like the current allblacks gear. I wouldn't discount rep jerseys sticking with them for a while longer though.

GAZF

First Grade
I'd love to see a predominantly red away jersey with a green band or hoop across the chest area. Very similar to Portugal's football jersey.

Red on green works, green on red is muddled. Souths need a predominantly white jersey that doesn't suck. They should still wear the traditional hoops (no side panels) 90% of the time regardless.

GAZF

First Grade
Speaking of Easts jerseys, saw this on Twitter, it's from early in the season in 1982.

A0PipIXCYAAQicZ.jpg:large

A0PmBBaCYAA2QWa.jpg:large

Wow, never seen that one. Looks like the logo has a border extending around the wordmark.

flippikat

Bench

That could work too.

We've talked at length about the clubs that have far too many jerseys each season - Souths are almost almost the opposite with a white-trim and black-trim that are basically the same.

The indigenous & heritage jerseys get used very rarely too - I like the 'sash' alternate for this year, but we've hardly seen that either.

Whether it's a mostly black, or a mostly white, or mostly red.. using one good alternate jersey (not the traditional stripes) 4-5 times a year would be a good move IMO.

Big Sam

First Grade
Whether it's a mostly black, or a mostly white, or mostly red.. using one good alternate jersey (not the traditional stripes) 4-5 times a year would be a good move IMO.

Here's what I'm referring to (obviously with a white rabbit replacing the Portugese logo).
portugal-jersey-nike-home-world-cup-2010-red-green.jpg

Lambretta

First Grade
New-Rabbitohs-Away-Kit-2012.jpg

I must be the only person in the universe that thought this was a brilliant away jersey for Souths. Why didn't they use this?

Frailty

First Grade
I just wish the NRL would make simple rules:

1x Main Jersey
1x Clash/alternate jersey (only to be worn if it is determined that there is a clash)
1x Heritage (only to be worn in the heritage round + 1 additional home game if heritage game is away)
1x Other

Status
Not open for further replies.