What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I've seen it said somewhere that clubs are only permitted to wear four jerseys in a season.

The Cowboys having both an indigenous and pink jersey along with the heritage strip they're wearing tonight flies in the face of that :?

Tom Shines

First Grade
I've seen it said somewhere that clubs are only permitted to wear four jerseys in a season.

The Cowboys having both an indigenous and pink jersey along with the heritage strip they're wearing tonight flies in the face of that :?

4 in 5 weeks by the Panthers... some sort of record surely

GAZF

First Grade
Seriously, why the f**k isn't the sponsorhip logo like this?? Look how classy it looks???

I didn't find it hard to do, however it appears to be beyond those that design and/or approve uniforms.

sad state of the game. clubs will whore themselevs out to whoever will pay

It's a real shame, team identities are hugely compromised just to make a quick buck. We aspire to be the number one code in Australia but dress like one happy to be last. Ideally we wouldn't have to wait for heritage round every year to enjoy a good jersey.

Spitty

Juniors
4 in 5 weeks by the Panthers... some sort of record surely

Souths must be close too, White and black variants of their regular jersey, their sash jersey (I admit I'm not 100% sure they've worn that regular season yet) and their heritage jersey. I'm not sure if they've got an indigenous or Pink jersey, but they may get to 5 as well by the end of the season.

It's stupid. IMHO a club should have 3 jerseys. 1 home, 1 Away and 1 Heritage. They can wear their heritage in the heritage round and may get special permission to wear it in 1 other game for a special occasion or celebration. Pink round and Indigenous round can be celebrated through other means apart from changing jerseys.

No club can have 2 Away jerseys like Panthers did last year and Souths have this year, it can't be that hard to have 2 jerseys that don't clash with anyone. Every other club manages it.

I'm open to one off special jerseys like the 'Cyril Connor' jersey the Broncos did a few years back, but 'Movie' jerseys are definitely a no, no.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
4 in 5 weeks for Penrith, but that will be all for the whole season - they won't debut anything new from here on.

Saint Doc

Coach
The grey on the cowboys didn't show up at all. A bit like the warriors heritage...looks good in person but not as good on the field

beave

Coach
Yeah the grey isn't as dark on the TV as they look in real life.

Still, awesome jersey IMO. Some real crackers this week, Penriths and Parras in perticular I really liked.

GAZF

First Grade
Souths must be close too, White and black variants of their regular jersey.

Unbelievable that Souths get away with having two near identical jerseys AND a clash jersey. Get rid of the dumb side panels/collar and get rid of the black rabbit version and you have one jersey that you could pair with black or white shorts. Keep the sash jersey as a secondary and you have a far simplified and unified set of uniforms.

Additionally, if clubs are so obsessed with making money from jerseys, why don't they follow the lead of US teams and release fashion jerseys? Jerseys like the Warriors greenstone would look far better without sponsors and would sell pretty well. Other teams could do similar without compromising their regular season jerseys.

Frailty

First Grade
So any reason as to why Canberra didn't wear their heritage jersey last night?

Spitty said:
clubs wear whatever they want, whenever they want.

Unless if they are the Sharks, then they are told they can't have any sponsors on the front of their jersey (including Charities) until they get a major sponsor signed.

Depends on the club, and there will be a different set of rules - i.e. Souths being the only club whose home and away is virtually identical.

turbodewd

Juniors
In the armed services or police u have ONE uniform that everyone wears with pride.

In the NRL you have multiple uniforms which change monthly and yearly covered in horrific multi-colored ad patches. And teams which wear weird socks occasionally for a myriad of causes (witness the Titans brown 'Men of League' socks from last week).

I mean....WHAT THE f**k....there is no pride nor tradition in the NRL. Everything they wear is shtt and I wouldnt be caught dead wearing any of it. Huge pink Penrith jersey with OAK on the front - LAMEO!!!

Version 6

Staff member
Worst by far is the Bulldogs jerseys to celebrate the release of a film on blu-ray.

Whoring at its absolute worst.

i hope they do one for Titanic in 3D.

Unless if they are the Sharks, then they are told they can't have any sponsors on the front of their jersey (including Charities) until they get a major sponsor signed.

Depends on the club, and there will be a different set of rules - i.e. Souths being the only club whose home and away is virtually identical.

dude..
the rules are different for us.

charity on the front?

NOOOO

interim sponsor?

NOOOOOO

that guys knocked it on and we cant be offside on a chargedown

NOOOOOOOO

Zigwaa

Bench
Unbelievable that Souths get away with having two near identical jerseys AND a clash jersey. Get rid of the dumb side panels/collar and get rid of the black rabbit version and you have one jersey that you could pair with black or white shorts. Keep the sash jersey as a secondary and you have a far simplified and unified set of uniforms.

It called a home and away jersey to differentiate bewtween our 2 sponsors as we have a home sponsor and an away sponsor.

The only perceived clash of colours we have is with Canberra and we wear the clash jersey then.

All up only 4 jerseys to be worn by Souths this year and I'm not even sure if we'll wear the clash jersey as I don't think play we the Raiders in Canberra this year.

GAZF

First Grade
It called a home and away jersey to differentiate bewtween our 2 sponsors as we have a home sponsor and an away sponsor.

The only perceived clash of colours we have is with Canberra and we wear the clash jersey then.

All up only 4 jerseys to be worn by Souths this year and I'm not even sure if we'll wear the clash jersey as I don't think play we the Raiders in Canberra this year.

Its still ridiculous that Souths can have 2 near identical jumpers. Make the home jumper as I wrote above and the away jumper a white minties strip. Or just make two identical jumpers with different sponsorships. People standing up for the interests of their own club is shortsighted imo; no team should be an exception to the rule including my own team.

All teams should have one primary (min 5 years, worn at least 10 games/year) and one secondary jersey (min 2 years, contrasts to the primary and is worn a minimum of 3 times per year), one heritage jersey (worn 2-3 times per year) that lasts 2 years and one other jersey of their choosing (can change yearly, only worn once, another heritage/charity/ANZAC) but not one that solely drives commercial interests like how the Dogs have done over the last couple of years. If clubs want to use additional jerseys in the pre-season or just make fashion jerseys then thats fine, however, the NRL logo should not appear on the chest since they aren't used in the actual NRL.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Geez the cowboys look like the brumbies tonight...

the Brumbies copied us, we had that design a year before they came into the comp IIRC......

So the correct statement would be mate 'Geez the Brumbies look like the cowboys'....... :p:p

BDR

First Grade
As far as I know we have five jerseys:

- Home
- Away
- Indigenous
- Women in League
- Heritage

The indigenous is the same as our away but with some Aboriginal style artwork over it, we wear that for Closing the Gap round. The Women in League is the same as the away too but with pink instead of white. I don't think that's an unreasonable number of jerseys, considering two are one offs and the heritage will be worn twice maximum. All the designs except the heritage are based off the same overall style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts