What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Love how people are bitching about jerseys like they are being forced to buy every one. Who gives a shit if a club has 1, 4, or 6 on the market? If you like all of them and can afford to buy them great, if nit then pick one and get it. If the clubs or the game makes more money of it good on them.

As a Raiders fan I'm glad the are doing a ANZAC jersey and I wis they were the only one. But once again if others want to and the various parties involved are happy to sign off on it then good in the teams for doing it!!!

Seriously give it a rest!!!!!

The complaints have nothing to do with money they have to do with loss of identity.

GAZF

First Grade
Love how people are bitching about jerseys like they are being forced to buy every one. Who gives a shit if a club has 1, 4, or 6 on the market? If you like all of them and can afford to buy them great, if nit then pick one and get it. If the clubs or the game makes more money of it good on them.

As a Raiders fan I'm glad the are doing a ANZAC jersey and I wis they were the only one. But once again if others want to and the various parties involved are happy to sign off on it then good in the teams for doing it!!!

Seriously give it a rest!!!!!

Money is only part of it. People who buy their teams home/away jersey want to see it on the field as much as possible.

GAZF

First Grade
Newcastle should never wear their 'main' jersey, whoever designed it is a f**king idiot.

They should wear it for the remainder of this year, only to be fair to those that bought the home jersey. If they don't use the barca stripes or something else simple next year they're morons.

GAZF

First Grade
The Warriors look like they've taken a leaf out of the Dallas Cowboys book and are exclusively wearing their white uniforms. They've certainly had an identity crisis over the years.

docbrown

Coach
They should wear it for the remainder of this year, only to be fair to those that bought the home jersey. If they don't use the barca stripes or something else simple next year they're morons.

I've worn the home jersey to game and even I want the vertical stripes made our home jersey.

Home jersey = vertical stripes
Heritage = henny penny

Joker's Wild

Coach

Do you actually think that anyone who was silly enough to buy the home jersey ( sorry doc ;-)) gives a rats arse that the players arnt wearing it on the field? I can assure you that the vast majority of Knights supporters want the home one never to be worn, regardless of whether they had bought it or not. Its that horrible to see

I've worn the home jersey to game and even I want the vertical stripes made our home jersey.

Heritage = henny penny

One can only dream mate, although Id prefer to see them reversed ie: The heritage remain the same and the Henny Penny become our home jersey

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The Warriors look like they've taken a leaf out of the Dallas Cowboys book and are exclusively wearing their white uniforms. They've certainly had an identity crisis over the years.

Well now they think they're the roosters.

What fabrics are jerseys made from? I know that teams often prefer to wear their lighter strips in hotter months so as to decrease heat absorption, surely the technology of fabrics today would be good enough to make the difference between a light and dark jersey neglible.

GAZF

First Grade

Heritage = henny penny

I'd be very surprised if they didn't go with this next year.

Do you actually think that anyone who was silly enough to buy the home jersey ( sorry doc ;-)) gives a rats arse that the players arnt wearing it on the field? I can assure you that the vast majority of Knights supporters want the home one never to be worn, regardless of whether they had bought it or not. Its that horrible to see

Its just as much a case of the NRL actually enforcing their rules and having the league look consistent and professional as it is not ripping fans off. Its not just the Knights either, its ridiculous that the Roosters are getting away with only using their ACTUAL away jersey a few times in two years or that Penrith got rid of the teal after a year or that Souths have three regular season jerseys, two of which are near identical.

Too many teams are bending the rules and as a result, jerseys have a shorter lifespan and CAN look shit since they can keep them one year. If fans are going to shell out $160+ on a regular team jersey they should be able to see it worn more than two or three times.

Stricter and more heavily enforced rules will result in the standards of uniforms improving. What I'm proposing is cracking the whip now to get it started, don't take it personally.

GAZF

First Grade
Well now they think they're the roosters.

What fabrics are jerseys made from? I know that teams often prefer to wear their lighter strips in hotter months so as to decrease heat absorption, surely the technology of fabrics today would be good enough to make the difference between a light and dark jersey neglible.

Usually a polyester or poly blend. As good as materials get, they cannot change physics, black absorbs more light and part of that energy is converted to heat so a black jersey will always be hotter than a white one. Additionally, the fabric used would be thicker than the most update material since they require more durability, this reduces the amount of heat transfer from the player to the environment. The alternative is to improve ventilation to allow heat and moisture to escape, maybe larger vent holes like Nike does with their soccer gear would work, as long as the gear wouldn't rip, this would also get rid of unnecessary seams in the jersey which would allow for stripes and hoops to continue all the way around the jersey.

Joker's Wild

Coach
What is needed more is better rules around the design of jerseys, not just holding the teams to the crap designs they have come up with. They need to ban clubs from using the following:

1. Watermarks (Titans "feathers" and the head on last years Knights away jersey)
2. Blended colours (Knights 2005-2007, Titans home)
3. Piping (Warriors last year, Storm home)
4. Bordering (Tigers Home)
5. Unnecessary use of white or black (Souffs)

They also need to enforce clubs to choose a colour scheme and stick to it with a 3 colour maximum.

GAZF

First Grade
What is needed more is better rules around the design of jerseys, not just holding the teams to the crap designs they have come up with. They need to ban clubs from using the following:

1. Watermarks (Titans "feathers" and the head on last years Knights away jersey)
2. Blended colours (Knights 2005-2007, Titans home)
3. Piping (Warriors last year, Storm home)
4. Bordering (Tigers Home)
5. Unnecessary use of white or black (Souffs)

They also need to enforce clubs to choose a colour scheme and stick to it with a 3 colour maximum.

It certainly is ideal but would be tough to get the clubs to agree in the first place. League approval of designs would be the way to go but they'd have to get more than one opinion on approval, would also increase the time it takes to get it designed, approved by club, approved by the league and put into production. A lot of the elements you listed above are fine, in moderation. A very subtle watermark pattern would be ok in my books, Titans not so much. Gradients should be used minimally. Piping bugs me, especially when its just sublimated on.

LESStar58

Referee
Maybe something like this

picture.php

Melbourne have the ANZAC badge above the Storm logo...same one that Collingwood and Essendon use on their jerseys. That mock up looks good though.

GAZF

First Grade
A more accurate Knights heritage jersey would be along the lines of this.

NRL-NEW-4.gif

1739417.jpg

does not equal

muir_m~2.jpg

I dont understand clubs, they want to sell as much merchandise as possible, and all they have to do is start designing the old retro jereseys as there current ones with the old cottom material and they'll make a fortune!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts