What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Memberships

Von

Juniors
Why? The pet industry is massive in Australia, talking in the billions of dollars. If NRL clubs want to exploit that and get a few extra dollars good luck to them.

People need to get over the dick measuring contest and realise that it's the revenue that's most important, not the bragging rights.

Agree, nothing wrong with raiding funds via selling pets "memberships", but these in no way should be counted as membership numbers.

Anyway, it is very hard to police.
The NRL would have more important things to address than spending time auditing membership numbers.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Battle of the heavyweights:

Knights 642
Souffs 626
Broncos 581
Dragons 577

Battle of the beaches:

Manly 404
Roosters 381
Sharks 345
Titans 270

Battle of the west (could get rather interesting):

Bulldogs 376
Tigers 370
Eels 361
Panthers 317

Inter-city showdown:

Storm 411
Raiders 374
Warriors 345
Cowboys 333

http://www.nrl.com/membership/tabid/10691/default.aspx

Last edited:

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Why? The pet industry is massive in Australia, talking in the billions of dollars. If NRL clubs want to exploit that and get a few extra dollars good luck to them.

People need to get over the dick measuring contest and realise that it's the revenue that's most important, not the bragging rights.

I have no problem having these pet options available for fans that are close to their pets, but a pet dog or cat shouldn't be counted as a 'member' in the official tally.

RWB

Bench
I don't think of it as a dick measuring contest. I just want my club to get 20000 members so that visiting teams have a pleasant and enjoyable experience when they drop in at Hunter Stadium :D. It certainly lifts the team more than an empty SFS would :lol:

Sorry I'll re-word my quote to suit the demographics of Newcastle fans better "a liver spot measuring contest".

RWB

Bench
I agree with the OP. That said, if pet owners want to splash a bit of cash on some animal specific club gear, I'm all for it, but counting pets as "club members" is just ridiculous. There needs to be line, and if pets are okay, what's next? Pet rocks? Japanese Peace Lilies? Your car?

That's the incentive for a lot of people though, that they can boost their clubs numbers for a small price. Take that away and it looses the attraction.

Clubs just need to start producing both ticketed and non-ticketed membership numbers.

H.H

Juniors
update this arvo

#battleofthebeaches
@manlyseaeagles 404
@sydneyroosters 381
@Cronulla_Sharks 345
@GCtitans 270

518203113.png

Chooks got the players on the phones yesterday and they sold another 130 odd which should add onto this total.

rygrco

Juniors
That's the incentive for a lot of people though, that they can boost their clubs numbers for a small price. Take that away and it looses the attraction.

Clubs just need to start producing both ticketed and non-ticketed membership numbers.
Whatever. Counting anything non-human as a club member is absurd and should be stopped pronto. The numbers and the money are not an excuse to behave like a bunch of dipshits, not to mention the fact that any sane person would find it degrading to be counted in a category that includes Tibbles and Buster.

jbl31649

Juniors
Im sorry but the pet memberships are f**king disgusting.

I agree with the OP. That said, if pet owners want to splash a bit of cash on some animal specific club gear, I'm all for it, but counting pets as "club members" is just ridiculous. There needs to be line, and if pets are okay, what's next? Pet rocks? Japanese Peace Lilies? Your car?

Agree, nothing wrong with raiding funds via selling pets "memberships", but these in no way should be counted as membership numbers.

Anyway, it is very hard to police.
The NRL would have more important things to address than spending time auditing membership numbers.

I have no problem having these pet options available for fans that are close to their pets, but a pet dog or cat shouldn't be counted as a 'member' in the official tally.

Whatever. Counting anything non-human as a club member is absurd and should be stopped pronto. The numbers and the money are not an excuse to behave like a bunch of dipshits, not to mention the fact that any sane person would find it degrading to be counted in a category that includes Tibbles and Buster.

Really. You all should move to England and take the Cheese and Whine with you. I never said the pet membership counted. Seriously some of you will find anything to complain about. Either ask the club/NRL or Get over it.

yobbo84

Coach
The fact Souths have sold the second-most memberships during this period, even after already selling around 18,000 memberships is phenomenal. I really hope we start the season well and see us reach our goal of 22k members.

jbl31649

Juniors
I never said anything about your post. My comments were in direct response to RWB (and a reference to M2D2's post).

yeah fair enough, but I couldn't see them counting it as a membership. It strikes me as a noval way to get each revenue. Like one of the post mentioned, the pet industry is huge.

I only posted the details to give others a view of what Manly has done. Seriously though if you feel your club isn't offering good options, ring them.

I want to see every club each year with a base minium of 15k members, so get on your clubs and let them no your concerns. Contact then newly formed ARLC and let them no to.

However if Manly does count Pet memberships, I will be seriously embrassed.

dimitri

First Grade
yeah fair enough, but I couldn't see them counting it as a membership. It strikes me as a noval way to get each revenue. Like one of the post mentioned, the pet industry is huge.

I only posted the details to give others a view of what Manly has done. Seriously though if you feel your club isn't offering good options, ring them.

I want to see every club each year with a base minium of 15k members, so get on your clubs and let them no your concerns. Contact then newly formed ARLC and let them no to.

However if Manly does count Pet memberships, I will be seriously embrassed.

agree
the pet industry is huge
i heard roosters have huge pet membership numbers
people in the eastern suburbs tend not to have as many kids - and instead have pets and spend lots of $$$$$$$$$$ on them

AFL have been doing it for years

BRING IT ON

jbl31649

Juniors
agree
the pet industry is huge
i heard roosters have huge pet membership numbers
people in the eastern suburbs tend not to have as many kids - and instead have pets and spend lots of $$$$$$$$$$ on them

AFL have been doing it for years

BRING IT ON

What I don't get is the severe lack of promotion. I live in the Upper Hunter and might see the Knights advertise once a week. (they play their next trial at Muswellbrook tomorrow, bet their not pushing for memberships then).

The NRL doesn't start its advertising until March. The whole of Feb should be saturated with NRL/club ads for the game and maybe a generic membership ad combined with region specific.

rygrco

Juniors
yeah fair enough...
It's all good. A few of us went off on a tangent (and making it look like you had started it). I admit I presumed that if pets had memberships packs they would also be counted as "members". Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:

RWB

Bench
Chooks got the players on the phones yesterday and they sold another 130 odd which should add onto this total.

I like others on here have noticed a big disparity between what clubs are reporting and what's being posted in the battles. Don't expect to see that 130 added on in full.

I wonder if the battles are only counting ticketed members?

hutch

First Grade
Saw a massive sign advertising tigers memberships at the Sydney Olympic hockey centre on the M4 today! Good initiative!

The fact Souths have sold the second-most memberships during this period, even after already selling around 18,000 memberships is phenomenal. I really hope we start the season well and see us reach our goal of 22k members.
Good to see our tax dollars aren't being wasted.