What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

gronkathon

First Grade
Farah now called not up to scratch by Zorba.

It is becoming very clear where this is coming from.

Thanks Bob Fulton you mong

Goddo

Bench
dugan (he was great in his return game)
hayne/morris
jennings (the usual)
lawrence/hayne (made 157m and 2 linebreaks in the centres in game 3 last yr).
uate
carney
pearce
gallen
Buderus (although i'd have hinchcliffe or farah)
tamou
watmough
lewis
bird

bench:
Hinchcliffe
Mannah
Sims
T. Williams.

1 prop on the bench as gallen plays 80, and watmough plays tight anyway.

Mannah constantly dominates defenders and lands on his chest every time. Woods lands on his backside half the time and only looks good because of his statistics. If you want the Woods type of prop then you go with Tolman, who is much better than Woods, and overlooked for reasons I can't even guess. He's a prop that should've been developed by NSW. If you like statistics anyway, Woods made 23 hitups for 170m on the weekend and mannah made 17 hitups for 160. . TLL is the only prop i'd consider over mannah on the bench. Merrin is also a chance.
Good side. I'd have Stewart over Dugan, and Buderus is out so Ennis/Farah at 9. Maybe carry another prop on the bench and drop either Sims or Williams. Hayne at centre and Morris on the wing.

Last edited:

T.T

Juniors
the whole 'not an origin type of player' is a myth

if you are a great football player, there stands no reason why you shouldn't excel at origin

Tigger Madness

Juniors

if you are a great football player, there stands no reason why you shouldn't excel at origin

Totally agree. If we just stuck to picking the best players in the their respective positions we would go a long way to winning.

Ladmate

Bench
The spastic Ennis will get picked, despite not even playing in CvC due to injury and shit form. NSW need a cleanout, sack Ricky + all the selectors and bring in everyone new who actually care about NSW and not their agendas.

caylo

Bench
Totally agree. If we just stuck to picking the best players in the their respective positions we would go a long way to winning.

I disagree, there are some big name players who always step up come origin time (i.e Tonga) and there are some players like Turner who are good in a good side but dont have the physical qualities to do well in origin. I think this is pretty much only wingers though most other positions their week to week form is a good indicator.

1 Hayne
2 Morris
3 Jennings
4 Lawrence
5 Uate
6 Carney
7 Pearce
8 Mannah
9 Farah
10 Gallen
11 Lewis
12 T.Williams
13 Watmough

14 Wallace (can cover 6, 7 and 9. Carney, Lewis and Morris can cover a few positions in the backline as well if required)
15 T.Sims
16 Tamou
17 G.Stewart/Bird

This ignores the fact that not everyone handles pressure equally. Every player who has played Origin says that there is nothing else like it. The pace. The intensity. The psychological burdon.

Some blossom and grow wings. Some try valiantly but never shine. Some crumble and choke.

No-one gets picked for Origin duty if they are hopeless. Most, if not all, get chosen for Origin because they have excelled at First Grade. Sometimes that excellence has been on display for years, occasionally it is a new First Grader whose skills are luminous. No-one gets there for being ordinary (okay Pearce got there, and he can be ordinary at times), but generally the prerequisite is excellence.

Despite that, excelling at First grade doesn't make a great Origin player. Some blossom and grow wings. They never really stand-out in First Grade, yet when they play Origin they have the game of their life. Who can tell sometimes just what it is, just it is.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Interesting talk on FOXNRL. Had a talk about the hooker. Saying Hinchy is not suited for the bench. Farah runs to laterally. Blah blah

roarr

Juniors
Maybe everyone else has a higher opinion of Tamou than I do... but there's no way I'd have him run-on in his first state of origin.

He will get destroyed, then dropped for playing poorly, then take 5 years to come normal again.

Put him on the bench for the whole Aus Incumbency thing... but geez dont start him.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Maybe everyone else has a higher opinion of Tamou than I do... but there's no way I'd have him run-on in his first state of origin.

He will get destroyed, then dropped for playing poorly, then take 5 years to come normal again.

Put him on the bench for the whole Aus Incumbency thing... but geez dont start him.

No your not the only one. I've said it severale times and I agree. You don't start on debut in a position like that especially against Derpland.

Dragon2010

First Grade
I'm resigning myself to the fact the selectors are going to pick a shit team, but I'll support them nonetheless.

I'm actually a bit confident. No f**kwit Dalley this year. If Sticky can get his head right and get the right team selected we can do it. I'm pretty sure we will see something similar to what allot of people have said. He'd be stupid to not pick close to the teams named here. Only position with a real ? Is hooker but it should say FARAH.

Hooch

Juniors
Farah now called not up to scratch by Zorba.

It is becoming very clear where this is coming from.

Thanks Bob Fulton you mong

Ahhhh... I see... like a lightbulb switching on.

Bozo should've been flushed out in the cleanout.

I imagine him and Stick just don't like Farah's stand offish attitude, and that's all it comes down too.

Robbie, if you're reading, rock up to Sticks place with a case of piss and spent the night watching the highlights of Ricky's playing career. You will be a shoo in.

Murf

Juniors
I disagree, there are some big name players who always step up come origin time (i.e Tonga) and there are some players like Turner who are good in a good side but dont have the physical qualities to do well in origin. I think this is pretty much only wingers though most other positions their week to week form is a good indicator.

1 Hayne
2 Morris
3 Jennings
4 Lawrence
5 Uate
6 Carney
7 Pearce
8 Mannah
9 Farah
10 Gallen
11 Lewis
12 T.Williams
13 Watmough

14 Wallace (can cover 6, 7 and 9. Carney, Lewis and Morris can cover a few positions in the backline as well if required)
15 T.Sims
16 Tamou
17 G.Stewart/Bird

Have Williams on the bench and Stewart/Bird starting and swap Lewis and Watmough and this is literally the best side that NSW can name.

If Farah is picked Steve Roach needs to be punted from the coaching staff (what he said was a disgrace). Probably be a good thing for NSW for as much as I loved Blocker as a player I don't think he is a great coach (he has been part of the losing NSW set up for a while).

To be honest NSW should have punted Stuart, Fullton and the entire coaching satff at the end of last year. How Fulton is still a selector after all the NSW series losses has me baffled. Fulton will probably pick the Manly NYC hooker for NSW.

Slackboy72

Coach
I like Mitch rein a lot, but don't think he is origin material THIS year.

Oh no doubt he is too young but it's not as if we are spoilt for good choices at hooker.
Queensland have dominated off the back of Cameron Smith's work in getting their forward pack rolling downfield. After him the next best hookers are Issac Luke, Ballin, Friend and Fien.

Latest posts