What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Allstar Knights

Juniors
What team does everyone think Ricky Stuart will pick? It said in the Daily Telegragh that Stuart admitted he'll need to take risks to beat QLD. I would not be surprised if one of those risks is actually Dugan on the wing (Stuart's a fan of him tbh) and another is maybe Williams on the bench

Based on things I've heard from Stuart and in the media, I reckon it might be:

1. Stewart
2. Uate
3. Hayne
4. Jennings
5. Dugan
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Ennis
10. Tamou
11. Stewart
12. Bird
13. Lewis

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Watmough
16. Sims
17. Williams

The only thing I don't like about that side is Ennis at 9, but otherwise it's quite a dangerous looking team.

Last edited:

The Gambler

Juniors
You can't pick blokes who hardly - if ever - have played centre/wing in those positions in Origin.

Defensively it is a big task. Dugan and Hayne defend at the back - they would have barely any experience defending out wide - they will have rings run around them. Sure they are class attacking players, but they are going to let in more points than they score.

We are talking about stopping the likes of Inglis and Hodges.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Hodges - Meh. He hasn't been the same player since he got that achilles injury in 2010.

Inglis is gonna be tough to handle with his form at the moment, but I'm confident Uate and Hayne can do the job on that right side.

Last edited:

Boganater

Juniors
You should tap out of commenting until you can stop letting your very obvious Manly hatred override rational thought.

Mateo over Stewart, fmd.
Yep that's right Mateo, It's better for the balance of the team.
Manly hatred , please.
How about you refrain from commenting until you can stop letting your obvious man love for Stewart get in the way.
For the record I would have Watmough and TRex in the team, so you could hardly say I have an obvious hate for Manly. Next you'll be saying Wolfman and King should be there.

Pazza

First Grade
Slater, Hayne, Boyd and other fullbacks have played Wing in origin. I can't see why Dugan couldnt?

Tigger Madness

Juniors
Playing Dugan on the wing and Hayne in the centres is a stupid and unnecessary risk. Hayne belongs on the wing in Origin and either Lawrence or Morris can cover the centre position.

betcats

Referee
You can't pick blokes who hardly - if ever - have played centre/wing in those positions in Origin.

Defensively it is a big task. Dugan and Hayne defend at the back - they would have barely any experience defending out wide - they will have rings run around them. Sure they are class attacking players, but they are going to let in more points than they score.

We are talking about stopping the likes of Inglis and Hodges.

There are plenty of FBs who have been picked on the wing, whats different now? The way i see it the other wing spot is between Hayne, Brett Morris and now Dugan by the sounds of things, all three have been playing FB this year, Morris has played on the wing for NSW, but he played poorly. IMO its gotta be Hayne or Dugan, and i like having both of them in the side as well as B Stewart, its a lethal backline and i dont think any of the other options are much more sound defensively.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
BASE JUMPERS
After all the huff and puff last year that NSW would build a foundation of players for the future and stick with the side that clinched the second game of last year's Origin series, there's a big list of players that Ricky Stuart will all but overlook for game one this year. Despite his combination with Todd Carney and Mitchell Pearce, incumbent fullback and Golden Boot winner Anthony Minichiello will miss out as will incumbent five-eighth Jamie Soward, who played all three matches last year. Starting props Jason King and Kade Snowden are both out of the frame, as are replacement forwards Keith Galloway, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Ben Creagh. Incumbent hooker Michael Ennis will also relinquish his position to Robbie Farah.
T-REX IN FRAME
Still on the Blues and while Sticky might be doing a player clean-out for the upcoming series, there are some big-name inclusions on the cards. Perhaps the most exciting prospect is Manly giant Tony ''T-Rex'' Williams who is being strongly considered as an impact player. It's understood his position is all but certain on the bench given his game-breaking ability in the second row and his ability to play in the centres to counter Greg Inglis should Chris Lawrence be trampled. Lawrence is favoured ahead of the Morris twins firstly for his defensive capabilities and secondly because of his ball-playing ability, something the Blues have desperately lacked. Despite fitness concerns, The Inside Back understands Josh Dugan will get the nod for game one ahead of Brett Stewart if he gets through Sunday's match for Canberra, while returned Melbourne second-rower Ryan Hoffman is considered the man capable of helping the Blues' left-side attack. Look for Wests Tigers prop Aaron Woods, who is in the top three of almost every statistic, as a possible inclusion.

LINK

Expects the Hoffman mention to create a storm of posts

Dragon2010

First Grade
As long as there's no Ennis, and a few other nuffy players (Whom I won't name) ill be happy. I still think Stewart should get the nod at FB as Dugs shoulder is a big risk.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Merrin should be in there somewhere, he's been fantastic this season. Dugan shouldn't be there, his shoulder looks like a bent up coathanger

chrisD

Coach
Hoffman is better than some of the other second rowers thrown about here. Assuming Lewis and Bird are certainties and Creagh is gone, I figure there's 2 spots to fit G.Stewart, Scott, Hoffman and Watmough, and one spot for either Sims or Trex.

Gippsy

Bench
I dont see the big deal, offensively that backline shits over anything else we can offer its just Dugan and Jennings defense im worried about.

Queensland have picked a FB on the wing the last couple years and it hasnt hurt them, they will be picking a FB in the centres this year and possibly another one on the wing, yet its a terrible tactic if we do it. Hayne has played plenty of centre and im sure Dugan has spent plenty of time on the wing.

If thats our backline we're stuffed, again.

Hayne is hopelessly out of form at fullback and was a complete failure at 5/8. He has gone alright at wing at SOO level, so what do we do?...play him in the centres....:? Inglis is proven in the centres, Hayne is not and it's not as if we don't have some quality centres this year in Lawrence or J Morris to pick from. Jennings is also injured or out of form or something, but at least he is a centre. Dugan is a fullback and a bloody good one. He might work on the wing but it is another question mark. So, we are left with question marks over 3/5 of the backline.

And if your worried about the defense of Dugan & Jennings you also better throw in Hayne & Uate. Hayne has been terrible defensively & Uate is always a bit suspect. I don't think Qld would mind this backline too much.

chrisD

Coach
Given the spastic teams by the paper columnists and the regurgitating of Matt Johns stupid all over the place I'm starting to wonder if Stuart is not that big an idiot in the scheme of things.

betcats

Referee
IMO a fit and healty Stewart is a better FB the Dugan and right now is in better form.

Ive got no problems with Hayne on the wing and Morris or Lawrence in the centres, id just prefer the other. Hayne was picked in the centres last year so i dont see why he couldnt play there again. I just think Dugan, Hayne and Stewart are all much better players then J Morris and Lawrence, Lawrence's form isnt even good, its poor, though i think he would still do ok.

Latest posts