What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Fullback

jmmyo81

Juniors
There is an article on google news today about Tedesco's return in the trial but is also says that barring injury Tim Moltzen will start the year at fullback. In saying that, the particular part of the article that states that has not been quoted so does that just make it speculation on the journalists behalf ?

Is this what people are expecting ? I always assumed if Tedesco was good to go then he would get his chance first. Thoughts ?

(Sorry i don't know how to link the article to this thread otherwise i would have done so)

Bench
I hope Moltzen has to earn his spot Jimmy,but here is the article.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rn-after-season-to-forget-20130204-2dukn.html
February 5, 2013
Michael Chammas, Jon Tuxworth - SMH

WESTS TIGERS fullback James Tedesco will play his first game of rugby league on Saturday night since his season-ending knee injury in round one last year.

The promising rookie was left shattered after he was carried from the field after 30 minutes of his NRL debut against Cronulla at Leichhardt Oval.

New Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter has named the 20-year-old at fullback for his return in a trial match on Friday night against Penrith in Bathurst.

Barring injury, Tim Moltzen will start the year in the No.1 jersey for the Tigers, although Tedesco is applying plenty of pressure.

''Those two will be fighting it out,'' skipper Robbie Farah said. The Western Suburbs junior enjoyed a meteoric rise to the top after starring for the Magpies in the SG Ball and the Tigers in the National Youth Competition in 2011.

Tedesco headlines the host of rookies in a 23-man squad, which also includes promising halfback Luke Brooks, prop Mosese Fotuaika and winger David Nofoaluma, as well as new recruit Bodene Thompson.

''We've seen at training that when guys are competing for positions, it brings out the best in others and keeps them on their toes,'' Farah said.

''You know if you're not at your best there's someone at your heels. We've got Curtis Sironen, Luke Brooks and Mitch Moses - there's a lot of depth in the halves and a lot of talent. We need someone to put their hand up and take ownership there.''

Meanwhile, Canberra coach David Furner will unleash the club's young guns against Melbourne in Geelong on Friday, with the Raiders set to be without up to 11 of its top-liners.

And boom outside back Edrick Lee wants to capitalise by proving he is capable of making the step up from wing to centre in first grade this season.

Six Raiders will feature in Saturday's All Stars clash,and injuries have also ruled out senior players Terry Campese, Brett White, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Glen Buttriss, meaning the Raiders will field a virtual second string line-up.

Lock Shaun Fensom may also withdraw after he suffered a minor left ankle sprain during Friday's opposed session, and didn't train on Monday.

Furner had hoped to field his best available line-up against the Storm, and said Canberra's representation in the All Stars clash was ''unfair''.

But the upside is it will force him to expose several Raiders rookies against a quality side.

Canberra is set to announce a 23 or 24-man squad on Tuesday, which will include youngsters Lee, Paul Vaughan, Sam Sauiluma, Shannon Boyd and Hayden Hodge.

Dynamic halves Mitch Cornish and Anthony Milford, who guided the Raiders to last year's under-20 grand final, will also get plenty of game time.

Last edited:

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
Heard Robbie interviewed on 2UE last night & when questioned about Tedesco he said something like "bring him along slowly, not too much pressure to be placed on him. We have Moltzen for that position" etc. I came away from that thinking Moltzen will start the year off there.....

Jam Wowz

Juniors
Team is:
1 James Tedesco
2 David Nofoaluma
3 Rory Brien
4 Tim Simona
5 Asipeli Fine
6 Sean Meaney
7 Luke Brooks
8 Jack Buchanan
9 Joel Luani
10 Mosese Fotuaika
11 Taqele Naiyaravoro
12 Bodene Thompson
13 Jarred Farlow
Interchange
14 Sean Spence
15 Michael Bullock
16 Josh Davis
17 Inno Inosesio
18 Dave Harris
19 Soni Paasi
22 Sauaso Sue
23 Sitaleki Akauola

Which probably means:
Moltzen
Tuqiri
Lawrence
Ayshford
Koroibete
Marshall
Miller
Woods
Farah
Galloway
Blair
Fulton
Anasta

Bell
Pettybourne
Murdoch-Masila
Utai

Iosefa

will start the season, barring injuries (Sironen, Gavet, Groat all out). Thoughts?

gronkathon

First Grade
If Moltzen earns it with trial form I am fine with that.

He like everyone has a chance to prove what they are worth in a non Sheens system. If he dishes up the same weak hearted crap as last year we have options ready and willing to make the step up

jmmyo81

Juniors
Are people expecting that Tedesco will eventually take the position off Moltzen then once fully fit ? I always thought Simona went ok with limited opportunities last year. Personally i'd prefer it if Moltzen wasn't in the 17 at all.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I can live with this team however I'd like to see Tedesco at fullback and Nofoaluma on one wing sooner rather than later with Thompson or perhaps Buchanan on the bench instead of Utai.

I can't take anything away from Utai but it was a Sheens tactic to run 3 forwards and a back on the bench. This team has both Fulton and Anasta who can take the place of an injured back if need be. I'd rather see four forwards on the bench who are rotated properly.

Moltzen Tedesco
Tuqiri Nofoaluma
Lawrence
Ayshford
Koroibete
Marshall
Miller
Woods
Farah
Galloway
Blair
Fulton
Anasta

Bell
Pettybourne
Murdoch-Masila
Utai Thompson/Buchanan/Gavet/Groat/et al

macnaz

Staff member
Meaney = 10 x Moltzen .why the f**k can't this club look at ability and make an honest judgement. FMD! if Peaheart gets the nod it would make me wonder how far we have progressed if any. HE IS A f**kED FULLBACK SIMPLE AS THAT!!

Matchball

Bench
I never want to see Moltzen in our squad ever again.
Why doesnt Potter, who was a great fullback, find someone else?

Moltzen isnt bench material. f**k.

macnaz

Staff member
The guys junior football along with any potential has only been in the halves, the whole crazy fullback experiment is just that ! A failed f**king "experiment" created by a has been nutter who is now gone. He showed ZERO absoulutely ZERO in that position and im totaly f**ked why anyone who calls themselves a coach could think otherwise, apart from the ole Benji's Boyfriend shit. Im just a supporter and it pisses me off no end , i reckon ppl like Farrah deep down would be pissed knowing real players who are prepared to get down and dirty are left out while this merkin gets the nod. It may be a only a temp call , but what if J ted doesnt come good we will be once again wasting more time on losers instead of building a side who wants to gel and win :(
I was so confident about this year but when i hear crap like this im starting to have 2nd thoughts.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
If Moltzen goes ok in the trials I'm fine with him starting at 1. I think it will only be temporary as if tedesco gets his confidence back he is light years ahead of Moltzen. We'll already have a number of new combinations and potter will probably keep it simple in the early rounds. Plus hopefully Moltzen will realize that his golden run under sheens wont be extended to potter, if he gives the same old heartless performances I have no doubt he will be back in nsw cup

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Are people expecting that Tedesco will eventually take the position off Moltzen then once fully fit ? I always thought Simona went ok with limited opportunities last year. Personally i'd prefer it if Moltzen wasn't in the 17 at all.
I agree re Simona. He runs the ball back at full steam and I'm desperately hoping he gets some time at the back during the trials.

I've got every confidence potter will see the light re te selections come round 1. He couldn't do any worse than Sheens anyway

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Potter in 2013 should be given a bit of leeway considering he's inherited this squad. His coaching merit for mine will be seen next year when he gets to do his own recruiting etc.

I'd be happy enough to have Moltzen at 7 this year. Tedesci, Meaney & Simona should be the only fullback options.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Tedesco said in an interview on Weststigers.com.au yesterday that he is prepared to play NSW Cup or 20s to get his confidence back before pushing into the NRL line-up.

Moltzen has the potential to be a good half, speed and ball movement. But under Sheens, well we saw what happened. Can't really blame him, the plan was to have him at 7 and Tedesco at 1. But unfortunately was injured in Round 1. Teddy will return and be a great fit at 1 once he has match fitness.

Bench
So whats your point ??
:?
The club is looking at ability,Potter say's Teddy has heaps,moreso than Potter himself,so all this club is not moving forward is just sensationalism,Potter has said he will pick on form,a clean slate,he say's he rates Teddy,and Moltzen has only had training to plead his case.
I think we should wait till round 1 or maybe 3 or 4 before saying nothing has changed.

macnaz

Staff member
The club is looking at ability,Potter say's Teddy has heaps,moreso than Potter himself,so all this club is not moving forward is just sensationalism,Potter has said he will pick on form,a clean slate,he say's he rates Teddy,and Moltzen has only had training to plead his case.
I think we should wait till round 1 or maybe 3 or 4 before saying nothing has changed.

I was never doubting the club considers Teddy our 1st choice fullback ! I was questioning how the f**k Moltzen can be even considered next in line before Meaney and Simona for example. Why does there even need to be a trial when it has been PROVEN beyond any doubt he is shit ,and nothing Potter can show or teach him will ever make him grow balls bigger than microbes. Perhaps if we want to go down that path we can also trial Lawrence, Fulton ,Ayshford at 6 , lets try Benji and Robbie at 7 and so on. In my view its just wasting time when we should be picking the BEST available first instead of having a f**king anchor dragging us down until teddy is ready to go .