What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Junior Reps (Harold Matts & SG Ball) plus other news

LeaguesFan

Juniors
Penrith Vs Illawarra in the Ball this week will be a cracker. The Steelers are getting on to a bit of a roll and we will see exactly where they are placed after this game.

Clifferd

Coach
Jack Bird from Illawarra unfortunately will miss their huge game against Penrith today, but is hoping to make a return next week.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Penrith killed Illawarra through the middle. Akeripa Tia Kilifi was back to his barnstorming best out wide too.

Hutchinson was threatening for Illawarra.

Duck63

Juniors
Went down and saw Penrith control Illawarra is the best way to put it,not a bad game. I heard the dragons are starting to breath some fire beating the roosters in a well controlled performance,they also said the back three are starting to see some ball. Just wanting to know if anyone saw the game.

KAB

Juniors
Very Lucky to win. The coast team tested all over the park. West boys were the bigger side.. It was only a couple of no tries to the coast let them stay in touch. That the west boys got away with a win. In saying that the goal kickers, kicked poorly. The number 11 was terrific all day.

Tucantango

Juniors
FINALS TIME - SG BALL

Well sports fans next week the finals start and there are few shock admissions as far as SG Ball is concerned. Ultimately the Matts power-houses of 2011, namely Newcastle and Illawarra, won't be there which for mine in a real shock! For Illawarra I wonder how crucial Jack Bird's omission has been? That kid is a game changer! The same would apply to Newcastle with respect to their former Novocastrian Tevita Pangai, who by all accounts is tearing it up in the nations capital. As it stands he is the SGB leading try scorer.

Moving on here are how they will line up from my understanding:

Panthers v Dragons (1 v 4)
Eels v Rabbits (2 v 3)
Bulldogs v Sharks (5 v 8 - Elimination Match)
Raiders v Tigers (6 v 7 - Elimination Match)

For mine I believe the Panthers will account for my mighty Dragons as the former has had a much harder preparation leading into the finals. Nevertheless the Dragons boys should have taken the Panthers when they met earlier so don't be surprised with an upset!

After today the Eels and Bunnies result is anybody's guess, however it is my understanding that the Eels did play a mid-week game before drawing with the Rabbits today so perhaps the bodies may have still been recovering?

The Doggies I feel will account for Sharks, however I am still in disbelief as to why certain players in the Doggies pack are not taking the field? Can anyone shed any light on Tifa Iuta? I watched him play a couple of games earlier in the draw and he was at his barnstorming best! Injury? Dogs are the dark horse for mine!

Last but not least the Tigers and Raiders. The Raiders pulled of a miraculous 20-20 draw to secure their spot and easily accounted for the Tigers in an earlier meeting so I am expecting the same again! I'm not saying that the Tigers won't be competitive, I'm suggesting that the Raiders will be hungrier (and will be looking to vanquish last years demons).

Thoughts?

Regards,
Tuc

PS: Anyone care to share a Matts view? I'd be interested to here it! However I'm ultimately of the view that its not worth discussing as the Rabbits are going to win it with daylight coming second. This team is red f%#king HOT!!

magpie4ever

First Grade
FINALS TIME - SG BALL

Well sports fans next week the finals start and there are few shock admissions as far as SG Ball is concerned. Ultimately the Matts power-houses of 2011, namely Newcastle and Illawarra, won't be there which for mine in a real shock! For Illawarra I wonder how crucial Jack Bird's omission has been? That kid is a game changer! The same would apply to Newcastle with respect to their former Novocastrian Tevita Pangai, who by all accounts is tearing it up in the nations capital. As it stands he is the SGB leading try scorer.

Moving on here are how they will line up from my understanding:

Panthers v Dragons (1 v 4)
Eels v Rabbits (2 v 3)
Bulldogs v Sharks (5 v 8 - Elimination Match)
Raiders v Tigers (6 v 7 - Elimination Match)

For mine I believe the Panthers will account for my mighty Dragons as the former has had a much harder preparation leading into the finals. Nevertheless the Dragons boys should have taken the Panthers when they met earlier so don't be surprised with an upset!

After today the Eels and Bunnies result is anybody's guess, however it is my understanding that the Eels did play a mid-week game before drawing with the Rabbits today so perhaps the bodies may have still been recovering?

The Doggies I feel will account for Sharks, however I am still in disbelief as to why certain players in the Doggies pack are not taking the field? Can anyone shed any light on Tifa Iuta? I watched him play a couple of games earlier in the draw and he was at his barnstorming best! Injury? Dogs are the dark horse for mine!

Last but not least the Tigers and Raiders. The Raiders pulled of a miraculous 20-20 draw to secure their spot and easily accounted for the Tigers in an earlier meeting so I am expecting the same again! I'm not saying that the Tigers won't be competitive, I'm suggesting that the Raiders will be hungrier (and will be looking to vanquish last years demons).

Thoughts?

Regards,
Tuc

PS: Anyone care to share a Matts view? I'd be interested to here it! However I'm ultimately of the view that its not worth discussing as the Rabbits are going to win it with daylight coming second. This team is red f%#king HOT!!

Hi Tucs,

Believe it might be Penrith v Parra, Dragons v Souths but it is very open - doubt anyone could pick the eventual winner of this comp at the moment, might be clearer after the quarters.

HM Cup looks like the bunnies, having blitzed the two normal powerhouses of the Pennies and the Slipperies over the past few weeks; maybe the Maggies are up for the challegne.:cool:

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Penrith SG Ball have done a great job to finish minor premiers. A lot of people criticised their squad and didn't give them a hope this year. Main criticism was due to the fact they selected 9 Under 17's players. However many of these 17's have been amongst our best players. This puts us in a great position for next years SG Ball season.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Yeah, congrats to the Pennies (SG Ball) and the Bunnies (HM Cup) re: top of ladder after the preliminary rounds.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Massive win in SG Ball by Saints over Souths 42-6. If not an upset, the scoreline is a surprise.

Parra nutted the Pennies 24-20.

Tucantango

Juniors
Went to watch the Campbelltown games today as I was really looking forward to SGB line-ups, and they didn't disappoint!

Well the Parra v Panthers game was a good spectacle as neither team was able to take the ascendency throughout the whole game. Admittedly when Penrith were up 10 nil in the first quarter I thought it was going to be a run-a-way, however I forgot I was watching junior football which is similar to the u/20's 'Turnstile Cup'.

IMO the Panthers had the better running of the game but were unable to put, a never say die, Parra to the sword. One such instance came late in the match when Tia-Kilifi made a great break from 30m out from the Eels try line only to spill the ball in a good tackle several metres short. Unfortunately Tia Kilifi also sustained a match ending injury in the same tackle (and I hope it is not too serious as he is a key player).

The game went into extra time 'Golden Point' when the sides were locked at 20-20 at the final hooter. Well it only took two minutes before the Eels went in for a try to claim victory. With respect to stand out performances I kept seeing John Fomai make metres every time he took the ball up. Not far behind him was Paea Pua who carried the ball strong all game, and Kagiassis was tenacious in defence. For Penrith the centres and wingers always looked dangerous and elusive and were unlucky that the ball didn't always bounce the right way! The Penrith half back always looked dangerous as well!

As with the Doggies v Raiders this game didn't disappoint either. The game was only really settled in the last quarter where the Dogs ran away with the match. Admittedly when the Dogs inspirational half back Brendan Cox sustained a match ending injury early in the second half I thought the Dogs were going to struggle. As it turned out it was quite the opposite because Brad Keighran was slotted into the half role and he did not disappoint. His exploitation of the left hand flank was a pleasure to watch as he sent a flying Royce Hunt in for a hat-trick of tries.

In terms of good performances I was very impressed with the Raiders five-eight Croker who was very elusive in attack. In addition i was also impressed with the workhorse efforts of Solomon and Nchouki. For the Dogs Keighran and Hunt for reason described above. In addition the centres, Toi Toi (who showed great hands in sending Hunt in for his tries - he also scored one himself) and Morgan (who also scored a great try, but also for his role in neutralising the comps leading try scorer Tevita Pangai).

On a final note I would love to hear a report on the mighty Dragons! Any takers?

Tuc

saintm

Juniors
Tuc,

I am new to the forum but love reading everyone's points of views on games. I am no expert but was at the dragons V bunnies sg ball match and will give you my run down of the match. It was a sensational game of football from the dragons perspective. They were very dominant all over the paddock especially No8 who was outstanding. All of saints forwards were very good with their wingers also taking the ball forward and making good yards. I don't think the bunnies were expecting the onslaught but the forwards just kept going all game. At half time it was 14 - 6 dragons with the dragons dominating the second half 28 nil. Unfortunately, saints lost their 1/2 back in the first half. I think if they can emulate this performance they will be real contenders.

KAB

Juniors
Congrats to the Central Coast Centurions #hmatts team on making the semi's. They went down to the sharks. A very good season by the club. 3rd year in and improving. Next year will be better. As long as other clubs dont pluck the eyes out of the sides. Like what happen in previous years. This year the main offenders Bulldogs 4 (1 - Ball, 3 - Matts), panthers (Ball -1), Knights (Ball -1, matts 1) manly (matts 1 - ball 5)

Tucantango

Juniors
Well sports fans the SGB games this week for spots in the semi-finals will be very interesting especially with respect to some of the key match-ups. Here our my thoughts on the key head-to-heads.

PANTHERS v BULLDOGS
The most important for mine will be the half-back battle. Soni Luke is an absolute demon off the scrum break and has scored a host of tries when he has caught his opposite number napping. He has also done the same when he has come into dummy half, catching tired forwards of guard. Nevertheless he will be up against the current NSW half-back in Bredan Cox who is equally good, and perhaps a better defender than Luke.

However Cox seemed to sustain a serious injury on the weekend and he may not be there this week so it will probably fall to Brad Keighran to manage the explosive and elusive Luke. If the role does fall to Keighran he and the inside forwards will want to be on guard as the ever reliable Ben Johns doesn't look like he will be returning anytime soon to sure up the defence in the middle. Mind you the Panthers will have to be mindful of Keighran's passing game which was on point last Saturday!

The next battle will be between the forwards, in particular the the battle between the rampaging Moses Leota and the Bulldogs captain courageous (and current NSW prop) Anthony Semrany. This will be an awesome battle as both are hard running props with NO HAND-BRAKES. The next on my list will be the confrontation between Royce Hunt (if he isn't moved to wing again) and Peter Tia Tia, and should be good as both are solid and fast running back rowers. Hunt certainly knows his way to the try line when he gets a sniff of it!

And last but not least the centre match-ups. The speedy Toi Toi for the Dogs who has had a marvellous season will be coming up against an equally great centre in the hard runnning and tackle busting Tia Kilifi. That is of course if Tia Kilifi makes it back onto the field as he too seemed to sustain a serious injury on Saturday. The playing style of these two players are very different and will make for a great spectacle.

A similar battle will take place between the Panthers freakish scoring machine Naden and the current NSW centre Morgan. In terms of points on the board, Naden certainly has the running, and like Luke and Tia Kilifi, has been a go to player for points this season. Nevertheless the deceptively speedy and tackle breaking Morgan is coming off two great weeks of football (and from games which were do or die for the Dogs)!

SOUTHS V BALMAIN
When these two teams met earlier in R5 the Bunnies dished out a footballing lesson, however in my opinion the Tigers did have key players missing. Most notable for mine was Rhys Armstrong (a current NSW rep). For mine this game will be won in the forwards, and battles should be epic, that is of course if South's turn up to play and don't take the opposition for granted like they did last Saturday.

I am particularly looking forward to the Whitelaw and Saena versus Tatola and Sokobalava hit-out. Saena and Tatola will probably end up as team mates in the NSWCCC u/18 team this year but there is sure to be no love lost when the Samoan meets the Tongan come this Saturday! I'm expecting bone breaking hits when these four meet as all are renowned hitters (and sometimes not legally either ... Lol).

Another key match-up for me will be the Satterthwaite and Cotterell battle out on the flank. The former has been a try scoring machine for the Tigers but he is up against a strong defender in Cotterell. Should be good.

Though they are not a key match-ups for me, the following players involvement the game will have an impact. Firstly, captain courageous for the Tigers, Matt Wood, and secondly there hard hitting all round workhorse Armstrong. For the Bunnies their x-factor of Alex Johnson (current Australian and NSW Rep). Johnson has been very quiet this season, whereas it has been the total opposite for Wood. Nonetheless when Johnson fires he goes like a rocket!

Thoughts anyone!

Sent from

Latest posts