What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Junior Reps (Harold Matts & SG Ball) plus other news

Keenan

Juniors
Massive win in SG Ball by Saints over Souths 42-6. If not an upset, the scoreline is a surprise.

Parra nutted the Pennies 24-20.

How did the Maggie Sgball squad go? Lol
Panthers & Eels,Im sure you said would struggle this year...your good champ

Keenan

Juniors
Well sports fans the SGB games this week for spots in the semi-finals will be very interesting especially with respect to some of the key match-ups. Here our my thoughts on the key head-to-heads.

PANTHERS v BULLDOGS
The most important for mine will be the half-back battle. Soni Luke is an absolute demon off the scrum break and has scored a host of tries when he has caught his opposite number napping. He has also done the same when he has come into dummy half, catching tired forwards of guard. Nevertheless he will be up against the current NSW half-back in Bredan Cox who is equally good, and perhaps a better defender than Luke.

However Cox seemed to sustain a serious injury on the weekend and he may not be there this week so it will probably fall to Brad Keighran to manage the explosive and elusive Luke. If the role does fall to Keighran he and the inside forwards will want to be on guard as the ever reliable Ben Johns doesn't look like he will be returning anytime soon to sure up the defence in the middle. Mind you the Panthers will have to be mindful of Keighran's passing game which was on point last Saturday!

The next battle will be between the forwards, in particular the the battle between the rampaging Moses Leota and the Bulldogs captain courageous (and current NSW prop) Anthony Semrany. This will be an awesome battle as both are hard running props with NO HAND-BRAKES. The next on my list will be the confrontation between Royce Hunt (if he isn't moved to wing again) and Peter Tia Tia, and should be good as both are solid and fast running back rowers. Hunt certainly knows his way to the try line when he gets a sniff of it!

And last but not least the centre match-ups. The speedy Toi Toi for the Dogs who has had a marvellous season will be coming up against an equally great centre in the hard runnning and tackle busting Tia Kilifi. That is of course if Tia Kilifi makes it back onto the field as he too seemed to sustain a serious injury on Saturday. The playing style of these two players are very different and will make for a great spectacle.

A similar battle will take place between the Panthers freakish scoring machine Naden and the current NSW centre Morgan. In terms of points on the board, Naden certainly has the running, and like Luke and Tia Kilifi, has been a go to player for points this season. Nevertheless the deceptively speedy and tackle breaking Morgan is coming off two great weeks of football (and from games which were do or die for the Dogs)!

SOUTHS V BALMAIN
When these two teams met earlier in R5 the Bunnies dished out a footballing lesson, however in my opinion the Tigers did have key players missing. Most notable for mine was Rhys Armstrong (a current NSW rep). For mine this game will be won in the forwards, and battles should be epic, that is of course if South's turn up to play and don't take the opposition for granted like they did last Saturday.

I am particularly looking forward to the Whitelaw and Saena versus Tatola and Sokobalava hit-out. Saena and Tatola will probably end up as team mates in the NSWCCC u/18 team this year but there is sure to be no love lost when the Samoan meets the Tongan come this Saturday! I'm expecting bone breaking hits when these four meet as all are renowned hitters (and sometimes not legally either ... Lol).

Another key match-up for me will be the Satterthwaite and Cotterell battle out on the flank. The former has been a try scoring machine for the Tigers but he is up against a strong defender in Cotterell. Should be good.

Though they are not a key match-ups for me, the following players involvement the game will have an impact. Firstly, captain courageous for the Tigers, Matt Wood, and secondly there hard hitting all round workhorse Armstrong. For the Bunnies their x-factor of Alex Johnson (current Australian and NSW Rep). Johnson has been very quiet this season, whereas it has been the total opposite for Wood. Nonetheless when Johnson fires he goes like a rocket!

Thoughts anyone!

Panthers Tyrone May will be the key in this clash.The most versatile player in the sgball comp by a mile.Had a indifferent game against the Eels who quite clearly knew how dangerous May is & ran there traffic at him all game long.
If May fires on the weekend then Panthers will do well.
Tyrone May is the only player to be named in the Sgball starting team of the week at different positions at consecutive weeks.Of the 9 rounds,has made an appearance on that team on 5 occasions.

Sent from

magpie4ever

First Grade
How did the Maggie Sgball squad go? Lol
Panthers & Eels,Im sure you said would struggle this year...your good champ

Yeah, might have fired an early shot regarding the Wests SG ball team being a contender.:oops: Although the HM squad is a chance, but the Bunnies look hard to beat.

I actually said Parra and the Pennies might be found out once the games went to the next level during the final series. Not wrong or right at the moment. I wish them well - I just made an early call and did say I could be wrong and they might play the final; they still could.

magpie4ever

First Grade
QUOTE:KEENAN]Panthers Tyrone May will be the key in this clash.The most versatile player in the sgball comp by a mile.Had a indifferent game against the Eels who quite clearly knew how dangerous May is & ran there traffic at him all game long.
If May fires on the weekend then Panthers will do well.
Tyrone May is the only player to be named in the Sgball starting team of the week at different positions at consecutive weeks.Of the 9 rounds,has made an appearance on that team on 5 occasions.QUOTE]

Great performances from Tyrone during the comp - only 17, so has next year as well. Also Soni Luke - will be there next year.

Keenan

Juniors
@Magpie4eva

All in good humour mate,but its great to see everyone passionate about junior footy & their teams.
Makes for a great forum no matter who we barrack for.

Definately some future stars across all the teams & great discussions,weather we agree or disagree just makes for great discussions & great support of junior rugby league.

magpie4ever

First Grade
@Magpie4eva

All in good humour mate,but its great to see everyone passionate about junior footy & their teams.
Makes for a great forum no matter who we barrack for.

Definately some future stars across all the teams & great discussions,weather we agree or disagree just makes for great discussions & great support of junior rugby league.

I might be bias but I reckon next year's crop of 18 year olds (2014) are that once in a decade group of talented footballers that will see quite a few advance to the top level. Similar to the group that was born in 1959 in Queensland - know the group I mean.

Tucantango

Juniors
Anyone catch the Panthers v Bulldogs SG Ball match yesterday?

Yeah mate I was at the game but it wasn't that great of a spectacle given the weather. The Penrith boys did well to win but it was on the back of a glutton of possession, especially in the first half where the Doggies boys looked absolutely spent after defending for perhaps 80-85% of that period!

Whatever ball the Doggies did get they literally just couldn't hold on to it, and the chances they got they blew! I know we all love to hate the Dogs but even I will have to admit that the referee gave them a caning with the decisions as well.

But alas full credit to the Penrith boys, they played what was in front of them and won! The coaches obviously did their homework as the Penrith boys exploited the Dogs line in the middle. Penrith initially tried to attack out wide however they were generally shut down by good defence, so through the middle they went, and it worked!

I did notice that Tia Kilifi was not playing. Did he succumb to the knee injury I saw him sustain last week? He will be missed come the Dragons game!

Anyway your lot have to play the Dragons now, and they are a different team from earlier on in the comp, so be prepared for a roastin' and toasting' ... Lol!

Tuc

Keenan

Juniors
The Panthers preparation against a fully fit Bulldogs squad was in tatters right up to the squad running out.
Major positional changes as they ran out should of given the Bulldogs a great advantage.
Joshua Grant was ruled out late so Sione Utia Katoa was called in still carrying an injury to play hooker & captain the Panthers.
He played great and had the Bulldogs on the back peddle with his short kicking game.
Tyrone May listed as five-eight went to fullback,Adam Bektas the fullback went to wing,Robert Jennings from wing went to the centres and Matt Boss came of the bench to partner Soni Luke in the halves.
News is Apiri Tia Kalifi may have suffered a season ending injury from last week.

As your assumption of 80-85% of possession to the Panthers,mate that's a huge exaggeration...lol

This game was won on a great defensive effort by the Panthers.
Tyrone May playing fullback for the Panthers was awesome pulling of some great try saving tackles which lifted the Panthers team & demoralised the Bulldogs.

The Panthers centre duo Brent Nayden & Robert Jennings put their hands up all game to take hit ups running straight & hard at Bulldogs pack.

The Bulldogs were given a defensive lesson by the Panthers even with an injury filled squad,that was the difference.

As for the Dragons next week,they will face a Panthers squad on home territory.
After been unable to put the Panthers away in front of their home ground earlier in the year the same will not be for the Panthers this week!

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Akeripa's injury was a 4-6 week one. Should be right for Under 18's selection if good enough.

Keenan

Juniors
Akeripa's injury was a 4-6 week one. Should be right for Under 18's selection if good enough.

If Tyrone May is named in SgBall Team of the Week at fullback after his great performance.

Can anyone tell me if a player has ever been named in that team at 3 different positions in a season?

Because I'm willing to say the kid may just achieve the feat...

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
The Panthers preparation against a fully fit Bulldogs squad was in tatters right up to the squad running out.
Major positional changes as they ran out should of given the Bulldogs a great advantage.
Joshua Grant was ruled out late so Sione Utia Katoa was called in still carrying an injury to play hooker & captain the Panthers.
He played great and had the Bulldogs on the back peddle with his short kicking game.
Tyrone May listed as five-eight went to fullback,Adam Bektas the fullback went to wing,Robert Jennings from wing went to the centres and Matt Boss came of the bench to partner Soni Luke in the halves.
News is Apiri Tia Kalifi may have suffered a season ending injury from last week.

As your assumption of 80-85% of possession to the Panthers,mate that's a huge exaggeration...lol

This game was won on a great defensive effort by the Panthers.
Tyrone May playing fullback for the Panthers was awesome pulling of some great try saving tackles which lifted the Panthers team & demoralised the Bulldogs.

The Panthers centre duo Brent Nayden & Robert Jennings put their hands up all game to take hit ups running straight & hard at Bulldogs pack.

The Bulldogs were given a defensive lesson by the Panthers even with an injury filled squad,that was the difference.

As for the Dragons next week,they will face a Panthers squad on home territory.
After been unable to put the Panthers away in front of their home ground earlier in the year the same will not be for the Panthers this week!

Talk about going the early crow - they have to get pass Saints followed by either Parra or Balmain.:)

You would not be related too or a friend of Tyronne, would you - Keenan?:lol:

Keenan

Juniors
Talk about going the early crow - they have to get pass Saints followed by either Parra or Balmain.:)

You would not be related too or a friend of Tyronne, would you - Keenan?:lol:

Me mate Magpie4eva,lol...

Mate I waited til the finals to make a call lol & as for Tyrone and the Panthers champ just going off what I've seen this year & Ill call it again that at least 3-4 kids from this squad & Paramatta squad,including the year young players you doubted will achieve rep honours & dominate next year.

If you ain't doing anything next week mate,come down & see this talented side play,lol

Or you could make an early call for next years comp???

magpie4ever

First Grade
Me mate Magpie4eva,lol...

Mate I waited til the finals to make a call lol & as for Tyrone and the Panthers champ just going off what I've seen this year & Ill call it again that at least 3-4 kids from this squad & Paramatta squad,including the year young players you doubted will achieve rep honours & dominate next year.

If you ain't doing anything next week mate,come down & see this talented side play,lol

Or you could make an early call for next years comp???

See my post above re: the talent of the u17s - a special group.

I'll wait until next year to make a call.

But with this year - I'll say Saints in an extremely tight one against the Pennies and maybe Parra winning by a mickey hair against Balmain; although a win by Balmain will not surprise - I believe the Pussies got them a few weeks ago.

Seriously, any of the four sides could win it.

Tucantango

Juniors
... ... ... ... at least 3-4 kids from this squad & Paramatta squad,including the year young players you doubted will achieve rep honours ... ... ... ... ...

Who do you see making the NSW U/18's from Penrith??? Your turn to make the call now?

Tucantango

Juniors
Guys I'm a little over the 17 versus 18 argument here. It's scientific fact the the 17/18 age group is more or less one in the same in terms of physical development! In fact most junior sports which have 'age categories' join these two at the final level. For example swimming which also joins the 17/18 age groups at State and National levels. It's not a phenomena!

magpie4ever

First Grade
Guys I'm a little over the 17 versus 18 argument here. It's scientific fact the the 17/18 age group is more or less one in the same in terms of physical development! In fact most junior sports which have 'age categories' join these two at the final level. For example swimming which also joins the 17/18 age groups at State and National levels. It's not a phenomena!

Depends on the person - I, for one, was about 2" taller and about 1 and 1/2 stone heavier at 18 then I was at 17 -giving my age away quoting imperial measurements.:lol: Didn't reach my final weight and height until my early twenties.

Especially some the anglo boys will continue to develop for a few more years.

I'm basing my belief on some of the age group games I have watch over the years; these current 17s stand out (but I'm bias). The HM semi between Parra and Penrith was the best game of age group football, I have seen in a long time.

It is just my opinion. There are certainly top players in the year above and below, just not the quantity.

half_back

Juniors
Depends on the person - I, for one, was about 2" taller and about 1 and 1/2 stone heavier at 18 then I was at 17 -giving my age away quoting imperial measurements.:lol: Didn't reach my final weight and height until my early twenties.

Especially some the anglo boys will continue to develop for a few more years.

I'm basing my belief on some of the age group games I have watch over the years; these current 17s stand out (but I'm bias). The HM semi between Parra and Penrith was the best game of age group football, I have seen in a long time.

It is just my opinion. There are certainly top players in the year above and below, just not the quantity.

I'm not convinced by this argument either. M4E is this based on your magpies talent this year and last :D I think we now have a diluted talent pool at 18s level due to many teams promoting players straight into NYC which gives a lopsided opinion of the relative strengths. I actually think the level of ball competition is weaker than previous years. There have been some cracker games this year although im not sure the standard as a whole is as high. Given I havent seen all the games. If indeed the 17s age group is that good I'm interested to hear how of them many people believe will make NSW 18s above their older counterparts? My opinion is maybe only Dallin, who hasn't belayed ball will get the nod.

As a snapshot, and while the development debate/form could take a few out of the equation it would be an interesting contest between nsw 16s 2011 v nsw 16 2012. I'd give it to the 2011 squad.

NSW 16s 2012
Dillon Khoury - Parramatta Eels
Izaac Thompson - St George Dragons
Robert Jennings - Penrith Panthers
Sione Mata?utia - Newcastle Knights
David Sheridan - CRL
Bayley Sironen - Balmain Tigers
Travis Edwards - Newcastle Knights
Soni Hala - Penrith Panthers
Jackson Hastings - Illawarra Steelers
Alex Twal - Parramatta Eels
Tevita Pangai - Newcastle Knights
Tyrell Fuimaono - Parramatta Eels
Mark McCormack - Western Suburbs Magpies
Liam Coleman - South Sydney Rabbitohs
Oliver Clark - Penrith Panthers
Jacob Host - St George Dragons
Jamie Hill - Penrith Panthers
Beau Parry - CRL

NSW under 16s 2011

Dylan Russell - Illawarra
Alex Johnston - South Sydney
Dee Jay Harris - Illawarra
Michael Morgan - Bulldogs
John Fomai - Parramatta
Drew Hutchison - Illawarra
Brendan Cox - Bulldogs
Jack Bird - Illawarra
Tepai Moeroa - Parramatta
Blake Harrison - Manly
Jake Kamire - Bulldogs
Brad Deitz - Roosters
Matt Lodge - Penrith
Zac Dockar-Clay - Parramatta
Addison Demetriou - Bulldogs
Brett Solomon - Canberra
Euan Aitken - CRL

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I have to say the current crop of 17's are a very special group. Agree with magpie4ever on last years preliminary final, absolute quality football displayed.

Thanks to all who posted reports on the Panthers v Dogs game. Glad to hear Robert Jennings played centre. All 3 Jennings boys are centres, easily their best position.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I'm not convinced by this argument either. M4E is this based on your magpies talent this year and last :D I think we now have a diluted talent pool at 18s level due to many teams promoting players straight into NYC which gives a lopsided opinion of the relative strengths. I actually think the level of ball competition is weaker than previous years. There have been some cracker games this year although im not sure the standard as a whole is as high. Given I havent seen all the games. If indeed the 17s age group is that good I'm interested to hear how of them many people believe will make NSW 18s above their older counterparts? My opinion is maybe only Dallin, who hasn't belayed ball will get the nod.

As a snapshot, and while the development debate/form could take a few out of the equation it would be an interesting contest between nsw 16s 2011 v nsw 16 2012. I'd give it to the 2011 squad.

NSW 16s 2012
Dillon Khoury - Parramatta Eels
Izaac Thompson - St George Dragons
Robert Jennings - Penrith Panthers
Sione Mata?utia - Newcastle Knights
David Sheridan - CRL
Bayley Sironen - Balmain Tigers
Travis Edwards - Newcastle Knights
Soni Hala - Penrith Panthers
Jackson Hastings - Illawarra Steelers
Alex Twal - Parramatta Eels
Tevita Pangai - Newcastle Knights
Tyrell Fuimaono - Parramatta Eels
Mark McCormack - Western Suburbs Magpies
Liam Coleman - South Sydney Rabbitohs
Oliver Clark - Penrith Panthers
Jacob Host - St George Dragons
Jamie Hill - Penrith Panthers
Beau Parry - CRL

NSW under 16s 2011

Dylan Russell - Illawarra
Alex Johnston - South Sydney
Dee Jay Harris - Illawarra
Michael Morgan - Bulldogs
John Fomai - Parramatta
Drew Hutchison - Illawarra
Brendan Cox - Bulldogs
Jack Bird - Illawarra
Tepai Moeroa - Parramatta
Blake Harrison - Manly
Jake Kamire - Bulldogs
Brad Deitz - Roosters
Matt Lodge - Penrith
Zac Dockar-Clay - Parramatta
Addison Demetriou - Bulldogs
Brett Solomon - Canberra
Euan Aitken - CRL

I think you will find Dallin is 18.

To answer the question - I don't believe any U17s should be selected in the NSW U18s. I also don't believe any 18 year olds should be allowed to play NYC until the their representatation in SG Ball is concluded, but that is a matter for the game's administration.

I reckon Tucs will be close to the mark with the NSW U18's he placed on the other thread.

I could have picked another squad of U16's that would have given the 2012 selected squad a run for their money.

As I said it is more the quantity and depth of the talent in the present U17s not the individuals.

Last edited: