What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Junior Reps (Harold Matts & SG Ball) plus other news

Clifferd

Coach
Illawarra beat an SG Ball Heavy weight (Newcastle Knights) 24-0 in the rain which was a tough, physical contest. The scoreline probably doesn't reflect what a tough game it was....

Meanwhile in HM the two teams couldn't be separated as they drew 12-12.

ballbag

Juniors
Clifferd don't no about Newcastle being heavyweights, watched trial v manly and were good for 20 then game against tigers last week. Plenty of improvement required if they are to challenge but have to win the next 5 to wuakify

KAB

Juniors
centurions v parra postponed hoping to play sunday

Parra declined to play Sunday, so it might be another mid week game.
Also, regarding players going to NRL clubs this will always happen. The Centurions also have go pay development fees on players from clubs and the country. The only teams are the Academy team which have links to NRL Clubs.

KAB

Juniors
Absolutely ! Nice research by the way.
Chuck in a few noteworthy Matthews Cup juniors too ...Jack Cogger (Newcastle Matts) and Tristian McKay (Manly) who are both Toukley Hawks juniors ... and Adam Keighran (Canterbury) from Wyong ... Robbie Rodger (Newcastle) from Ourimbah ... just to name a few.

The Coast is certainly producing some fine talent.

Just like to make a correction Adam Keighran is from Toukley, his brother plays Brad Keighran plays for Wyong.

I tired posting this before but it didnt work off the phone.
The Central Coast - team is made of the best players on the coast with local sponsors and keen interest in Rugby League on the coast.
Out of one club (Toukley) there is total of 11 players - when we talk about talent this team has won the preimership 2 years in a row undefeated and won 4 premierships before hand.
Players such as Jack Cogger Adam Kieghran, Daniel Peck, Bailey Schiach Wise, Jacob Giles Tristan McKay, Francis K???, Cameron Catantia, Matt Gazaway and Thomas Harvey. With the other players around them such as Jesse Ramien, Rhys Kearns. This would be a very dominate team. Given the way the team has played without the these boys already 1 and 1 giving Manly a touch up on the way.

Tucantango

Juniors
[/B]The God's Must be Crazy![B/]

Well as far as SG Ball season is concerned the last four rounds have been anything but predictable. I personally thought the Sharks and Dragons were looking the goods however both have now also faltered, especially the Sharks, and in dramatic style to the Pirates (which is great to see as far WA League is concerned).

After watching the mighty Dragons take apart the Doggies in round 2 I had them pencilled in for at least the second week of the finals (and the same went for the Sharks too), alas this may not be the case now. For mine the Dragons had Penrith ready to put to the sword, but to the their credit the Penrith boys never said die and came away with the lollies.

Here is my dark horse! The Doggies. After Dragons v Panthers game I took a ride up to to see the Manly v Doggies game (which was unusually played at 5.45pm). To be honest I was expecting the Manly boys to dominate, especially after the Dogs loss to the Dragons in which they had no go forward. However the Dogs line up had completely changed from R2.

Their stars were firing on all cyclinders which was assisted greatly with Iuta and Kamire being re-included into the forwards. And did these guys make some metres! Cox was at his creative best, and was complemented by the new 5/8 Liam O'Brien who had an outstanding game. The Morgan and Langi combo which served the Dogs so well in Matts in 2011 was awesome to watch as both these lads were tenancious in both attack and defence.

It is my opinion that the SGB Parra v Dogs game next week will be the game to watch. Dogs, Parra, Storm and Penrith will fight it out this year I believe.

With that said is there anyone who can give any feedback on the Roosters and why they are doing so poorly? They have a star studded line up which is not translating into victories, especially when given their depth of representative players.

For a start they have 2012 Australian schoolboy reps in Deitz, Meehan and Milne (made the Australian schools rugby union team after taking up a scholarship at Newington); 2012 U/16 NSWRL rep Travis Edwards; 2012 U/18 QSSRL reps Delayne Ashby and Perry Ioane. In addition they also have two 2012 NZ U/17 (merit team) reps in Braden Uele and Piki Rogers.

Tell which coach would not want that line up to form the nucleus of any SGB team! Is it a case of that time old adage where a "A TEAM OF CHAMPIONS CANT BEAT A CHAMPION TEAM." I for one would like to know what is happening down there at Bondi!

Just like to make a correction Adam Keighran is from Toukley, his brother plays Brad Keighran plays for Wyong.

I tired posting this before but it didnt work off the phone.
The Central Coast - team is made of the best players on the coast with local sponsors and keen interest in Rugby League on the coast.
Out of one club (Toukley) there is total of 11 players - when we talk about talent this team has won the preimership 2 years in a row undefeated and won 4 premierships before hand.
Players such as Jack Cogger Adam Kieghran, Daniel Peck, Bailey Schiach Wise, Jacob Giles Tristan McKay, Francis K???, Cameron Catantia, Matt Gazaway and Thomas Harvey. With the other players around them such as Jesse Ramien, Rhys Kearns. This would be a very dominate team. Given the way the team has played without the these boys already 1 and 1 giving Manly a touch up on the way.

Sorry KAB, didn't mean to push another star Hawk off to Morry Breen.

And re' the Matthews Cup ... i don't see why the Sydney clubs can't sign talented CC juniors for the future but leave them on the Coast to play with the Centurions until they get to at least SG Ball and possibly even NYC level. Surely that would benefit everyone.

Duck63

Juniors

Well as far as SG Ball season is concerned the last four rounds have been anything but predictable. I personally thought the Sharks and Dragons were looking the goods however both have now also faltered, especially the Sharks, and in dramatic style to the Pirates (which is great to see as far WA League is concerned).

After watching the mighty Dragons take apart the Doggies in round 2 I had them pencilled in for at least the second week of the finals (and the same went for the Sharks too), alas this may not be the case now. For mine the Dragons had Penrith ready to put to the sword, but to the their credit the Penrith boys never said die and came away with the lollies.

Here is my dark horse! The Doggies. After Dragons v Panthers game I took a ride up to to see the Manly v Doggies game (which was unusually played at 5.45pm). To be honest I was expecting the Manly boys to dominate, especially after the Dogs loss to the Dragons in which they had no go forward. However the Dogs line up had completely changed from R2.

Their stars were firing on all cyclinders which was assisted greatly with Iuta and Kamire being re-included into the forwards. And did these guys make some metres! Cox was at his creative best, and was complemented by the new 5/8 Liam O'Brien who had an outstanding game. The Morgan and Langi combo which served the Dogs so well in Matts in 2011 was awesome to watch as both these lads were tenancious in both attack and defence.

It is my opinion that the SGB Parra v Dogs game next week will be the game to watch. Dogs, Parra, Storm and Penrith will fight it out this year I believe.

With that said is there anyone who can give any feedback on the Roosters and why they are doing so poorly? They have a star studded line up which is not translating into victories, especially when given their depth of representative players.

For a start they have 2012 Australian schoolboy reps in Deitz, Meehan and Milne (made the Australian schools rugby union team after taking up a scholarship at Newington); 2012 U/16 NSWRL rep Travis Edwards; 2012 U/18 QSSRL reps Delayne Ashby and Perry Ioane. In addition they also have two 2012 NZ U/17 (merit team) reps in Braden Uele and Piki Rogers.

Tell which coach would not want that line up to form the nucleus of any SGB team! Is it a case of that time old adage where a "A TEAM OF CHAMPIONS CANT BEAT A CHAMPION TEAM." I for one would like to know what is happening down there at Bondi!
I to was at the dragons / panthers game ,and yes they had the panthers in some trouble but to the panthers credit they played very well in second period. In saying that if the dragons start using there fullback ,centres and wingers they will trouble a lot of sides in the run home, if they don't its such a waste.

magpie4ever

First Grade

I wouldn't rule out Balmain, Illawarra & Wests just yet. I have some minor lingering doubts about Penrith and Parramatta with around 8-10 underage players in their squads. I'm not say they can't win the thing, but they might have issues when the heat goes on in the finals. Don't know about U17s in the other squads outside of the CC which seems to have numerous under age players.

If I was coaching age rep football, the most I would want of under age players would be around 5 out of 23-25; as any more, to me, doesn't show faith in your district age players.

The Canterbury v Parramatta game should be a cracker and will answer some questions.

Tucantango

Juniors
I to was at the dragons / panthers game ,and yes they had the panthers in some trouble but to the panthers credit they played very well in second period. In saying that if the dragons start using there fullback ,centres and wingers they will trouble a lot of sides in the run home, if they don't its such a waste.

Amen to that one brother!

The Dragons definitely have sizeable wings and centres, and a classy full-back in Matt Dufty as well. Ironically on Sunday the Doggies used the Dragons strategy (i.e. using there big three quarters against Manly) that was used against them by the Dragon in round 2.

You're right though, a few of the Saints big forwards forgot that they were playing as part of bigger team on Saturday.

KAB

Juniors

And re' the Matthews Cup ... i don't see why the Sydney clubs can't sign talented CC juniors for the future but leave them on the Coast to play with the Centurions until they get to at least SG Ball and possibly even NYC level. Surely that would benefit everyone.

I think that would suit all concern, imagine a Non Nrl club winning Matts / Ball they would hate it.

KAB

Juniors

I wouldn't rule out Balmain, Illawarra & Wests just yet. I have some minor lingering doubts about Penrith and Parramatta with around 8-10 underage players in their squads. I'm not say they can't win the thing, but they might have issues when the heat goes on in the finals. Don't know about U17s in the other squads outside of the CC which seems to have numerous under age players.

If I was coaching age rep football, the most I would want of under age players would be around 5 out of 23-25; as any more, to me, doesn't show faith in your district age players.

The Canterbury v Parramatta game should be a cracker and will answer some questions.

If I was coach I too would want 5-6 underage players, its bit hard when other clubs take those 2 yr ball players from your team. Please stop me from this. Its frustrating

magpie4ever

First Grade
If I was coach I too would want 5-6 underage players, its bit hard when other clubs take those 2 yr ball players from your team. Please stop me from this. Its frustrating

I feel your pain, brother.

Just to let you know, there has been a number of non-NRL, ARL teams who have won Matts, Ball, Flegg & Cup; but that was probably back in the days (mine) when you needed to play in your district the year before & the year of the competition (in other words, no ring-ins or imports)

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I have some minor lingering doubts about Penrith and Parramatta with around 8-10 underage players in their squads. I'm not say they can't win the thing, but they might have issues when the heat goes on in the finals. .

Penrith may have 9 Under 17's however only Robert Jennings and Oliver Clark would be certainties in the best 17. Soni Hala(if he recovers in time) and possibly Tyrone May are a chance too. Soni Luke has been outstanding so far in 2013 but will probably miss out come finals time.

Penrith are blessed with a very strong 17's. The best 3 Penrith juniors from the year above aren't available.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Penrith may have 9 Under 17's however only Robert Jennings and Oliver Clark would be certainties in the best 17. Soni Hala(if he recovers in time) and possibly Tyrone May are a chance too. Soni Luke has been outstanding so far in 2013 but will probably miss out come finals time.

Penrith are blessed with a very strong 17's. The best 3 Penrith juniors from the year above aren't available.

I take your point Daz, but you just quoted 5 u17s as in the running for the final series team of 17.

Parramatta are in a similar boat - Tepai and a few others in NYC.

I just have doubts for these two squads at finals time , but they or at least one might win the comp undefeated and they will probably play in the final.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Anyone see or care to comment on the Canterbry v Parramatta SG Ball game? Close scoreline, although it looks like defence was not a strong point - 64 points scored -NYC stuff.

Tucantango

Juniors
Anyone see or care to comment on the Canterbry v Parramatta SG Ball game? Close scoreline, although it looks like defence was not a strong point - 64 points scored -NYC stuff.

I was out at the game and admittedly the defence was somewhat ordinary as was the ball handling, especially from the Dogs. Parra had a glutton of possession and given the amount of repeat sets they had, they should have easily accounted for the Dogs on Saturday. Admittedly both teams had several 17 year olds so it would be hard to argue an unfair advantage either way.

Players that stood out for the eels were Sione Tonga the captain/fullback, who proved absolutely elusive all game setting up oportunity after oportunity for his team. Paea Pua made great metres every time he took the ball up and defended well. Kagiassis, who is surprisingly on the bench, made a difference when he came on as a replacement and scored a great solo try from dummy half.

For the Doggies hooker Ben Johns was magnificent in both attack and defence, and when he went off to the blood bin in the first half Parra was easily able to capitalise scoring several soft tries through centre field! On his return the centrefield hole was plugged

The centres for the Dogs, Hakaraia Toi Toi and Michael Morgan, had great games with both scoring great tries and setting up others! Jordan Loto'aniu once again proved hard to put down as did Tifa Iuta.

With 60 seconds to go the Dogs were down 30-28 and with the last play of the game a great back line move was finished off by Toi Toi sprinting 15 metres down the left wing to go into the corner for a try.

Admittedly I'm am still somewhat bemused with how the Dogs are managing their team, especially players in key positions. For mine the full-back from Queensland is anything but a team player and was probably the reason why he was hooked with 10 minutes to go! for me it was instrumental in the Dogs winning the game when the back-line was reshuffled.

Next week'S Dogs v Bunnies game will answer my question as to whether or not the Dogs will be SGB title contenders!

magpie4ever

First Grade
I was out at the game and admittedly the defence was somewhat ordinary as was the ball handling, especially from the Dogs. Parra had a glutton of possession and given the amount of repeat sets they had, they should have easily accounted for the Dogs on Saturday. Admittedly both teams had several 17 year olds so it would be hard to argue an unfair advantage either way.

Players that stood out for the eels were Sione Tonga the captain/fullback, who proved absolutely elusive all game setting up oportunity after oportunity for his team. Paea Pua made great metres every time he took the ball up and defended well. Kagiassis, who is surprisingly on the bench, made a difference when he came on as a replacement and scored a great solo try from dummy half.

For the Doggies hooker Ben Johns was magnificent in both attack and defence, and when he went off to the blood bin in the first half Parra was easily able to capitalise scoring several soft tries through centre field! On his return the centrefield hole was plugged

The centres for the Dogs, Hakaraia Toi Toi and Michael Morgan, had great games with both scoring great tries and setting up others! Jordan Loto'aniu once again proved hard to put down as did Tifa Iuta.

With 60 seconds to go the Dogs were down 30-28 and with the last play of the game a great back line move was finished off by Toi Toi sprinting 15 metres down the left wing to go into the corner for a try.

Admittedly I'm am still somewhat bemused with how the Dogs are managing their team, especially players in key positions. For mine the full-back from Queensland is anything but a team player and was probably the reason why he was hooked with 10 minutes to go! for me it was instrumental in the Dogs winning the game when the back-line was reshuffled.

Next week'S Dogs v Bunnies game will answer my question as to whether or not the Dogs will be SGB title contenders!

Thanks mate, looks like this title is up for grabs with about 5 real contenders come finals time.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I will go out on a limb; the SG Ball comp will be won by one of the following sides; Parramatta, Penrith, Souths, Canterbury or Melbourne - how's that for an early call.

Clifferd

Coach
I will go out on a limb; the SG Ball comp will be won by one of the following sides; Parramatta, Penrith, Souths, Canterbury or Melbourne - how's that for an early call.

Good list, I agree on pretty much the same aswell.

However I have to vouch for my local team Illawarra...they've won 3 on the trot looking pretty good, however come up against Penrith next week which will definitely tell us if they are worthy contenders or not...