What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 memberships

cleary89

Coach
Saints jumped from 15k to 20k after our winning year.

But we have 2 sets of fan bases, no scgt members etc. 20k would be impressive though.

Lambretta

First Grade
Living in Melbourne, I can tell you that completely not the case with AFL, Im constantly amazed how families, even siblings will support different teams.

In my family, my middle brother still supports the Broncos, but otherwise is considered to be an outcast by the rest of us.

This is often the case if people live in areas that doesn't have a team that represents the area or if that team is utter shite

It would be far less common for brothers in Newcastle, Townsville or Canberra to follow different teams than it would be for families in parts of Melbourne or Sydney.

In Sydney it's often the case that families that follow different teams marry and one kid follows mums team while the other goes with dad.

In Melbourne all the teams play at the same stadiums so the geographical loyalty has been watered down. Only Gelong would really have a complete monopoly on their area. Sure most people living in Collingwood would follow Collingwood, but people living in Box Hill or Rowville or Clayton wouldn't have a distinct team that represented their suburb.

I grew up in Milton Keynes, where there was no team and kids picked their teams usually by who was doing well in the League or Cup. It was common for families to follow different teams or kids to be mad on something their parents didn't even watch.

TheDalek079

Bench
But back to memberships - Roosters are aiming for 20,000 and are over 8,500. This figure should jump in January as it hasn't been updated for a week or so. 20,000 seems a tall order as last season we were at 13,751. Does anyone think we're a chance of making 20,000 this year?

A marketing push focussing on Sonny Bill would get us to 20k

parraparraparra

Juniors
Trying to call it football is just a desperate rebrand cause we all know how much the national soccer league sucked. Soccer is such a boring wussy sport. So unAustralian. Only thing funnier is the agro tryhards in the stands playing gangsta. Lulz

H.H

Juniors
True - but I grew up in England and old habits die hard
To be honest, I don't care if people call it soccer. I care more they know why it's called soccer.

It's funny, the people that don't like it much or follow it much call it soccer, where the people that like the game refer to it as football. It's almost as if soccer is meant in a slightly demeaning way.

But back to memberships - Roosters are aiming for 20,000 and are over 8,500. This figure should jump in January as it hasn't been updated for a week or so. 20,000 seems a tall order as last season we were at 13,751. Does anyone think we're a chance of making 20,000 this year?

We're well up on this time last year and traditionally our numbers increase at a faster rate in the new year so 20k is possible but it will be a stretch.

Minor detail, but we finished on 13,952 last year.

Canard

Immortal
To be honest, I don't care if people call it soccer. I care more they know why it's called soccer.

It's funny, the people that don't like it much or follow it much call it soccer, where the people that like the game refer to it as football. It's almost as if soccer is meant in a slightly demeaning way.

I reckon your over thinking it. If you say football in Australia, 95% of people will think you mean another code, that's why the term soccer is used.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Not so much demeaning as passive-aggressive.

Its just that no one wants to give away the term "Football". VFL fans try to claim it in the same way that soccer fans do; and that gets slapped down in the exact same way.

"Football" just has that nice ring to it and has developed the good connotations; its why the rugby codes and american football have held onto it.

I mean, who wants to play a sport called "HandEgg"???

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Yikes, someone's chippy...

_Johnsy

Referee
Seems to be a unique rl thing to actively support a rival team to your parents just to piss them off

At the age of 5 that's exactly why i became a dragon. Parra V dragons, drags won parents & brothers not happy. So of course I said yep, that's the team for me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At the age of 5 that's exactly why i became a dragon. Parra V dragons, drags won parents & brothers not happy. So of course I said yep, that's the team for me.

yep same here, though my heresay in picking a team from the East side of the river meant the cold shoulder from some family members, bit harsh to a 10 year old!

I was the first member of my family in 100 years to support Hull KR not Hull FC, it is still talked about in hushed tones at Christmas!:lol:

Billythekid

First Grade
Not so much demeaning as passive-aggressive.

Its just that no one wants to give away the term "Football". VFL fans try to claim it in the same way that soccer fans do; and that gets slapped down in the exact same way.

"Football" just has that nice ring to it and has developed the good connotations; its why the rugby codes and american football have held onto it.

I mean, who wants to play a sport called "HandEgg"???

If i go anywhere in Australia and i ask someone what soccer is they know exactly what i'm talking about. If i ask them what football is i'll get a different answer whereever i go. Personally i don't really describe football when talking about any sport (i might call the NRL footy which is close i guess).

The fact that the Roosters are still in front of the Dragons at this stage is embarrassing. I know the membership drive started late but come on Dragons fans, you don't want to be beaten by the Roosters.

Latest posts