What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 memberships

beave

Coach
Is this program still going?

That is a 2 year old article you are posting there.

Last I heard every team at every club that plays rugby union are all having to contribute $200 each to help get the ARU out of the financial shit they are currently in......

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Eels and Bunnies are the only non disgraces in regards to membership numbers,other teams should hang there heads in shame

insert.pause

First Grade
Is this program still going?

That is a 2 year old article you are posting there.

Last I heard every team at every club that plays rugby union are all having to contribute $200 each to help get the ARU out of the financial shit they are currently in......

Yes it is still going;

http://www.redsmembership.com.au/Cash_Back_For_Clubs

Its basically a referral bonus program for junior clubs, but there is an opportunity there for NRL clubs to replicate the model with their affiliates, however i don't think NRL clubs would be as willing to share the membership profits. Theres definitely merit to the idea though.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Warriors membership needs to pick up its act for sure, but easily the biggest membership in the NRL? Auckland is a city in a rugby dominant country with a population 600k shy of a league- heavy heartland like Brisbane.

Your claim is a tad delusional, PR. But we'll see what effect Eden Park has on that as it gets more and more games.

It could be argued that our traditional club membership is simply a fan buying a jersey or several. FWIW, I believe we are top dog in those stakes by a fair margin. A small offset to fewer bum's on seats but our marketers sure have targeted it.

It's when you see the big crowds like the ones at the nines you just wonder where all the fans go. The warriors can pull 40K fans with almost no away fans, they're probably the only team in the comp bar the broncos who can do that in the regular season. That's ignoring the huge support they have in areas like Melbourne.

Should they be number 1 in the comp? No. That's an unfair expectation but they should be much, much higher.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Warriors membership needs to pick up its act for sure, but easily the biggest membership in the NRL? Auckland is a city in a rugby dominant country with a population 600k shy of a league- heavy heartland like Brisbane.

Your claim is a tad delusional, PR. But we'll see what effect Eden Park has on that as it gets more and more games.

It could be argued that our traditional club membership is simply a fan buying a jersey or several. FWIW, I believe we are top dog in those stakes by a fair margin. A small offset to fewer bum's on seats but our marketers sure have targeted it.

I've seen the warriors play a few times in Sydney and Perth and there is usually a few thousand warriors fans at games. They are probably the only club that could have more members outside their home city. There would have easily been 7k people supporting the warriors at the Perth game last year. No attempt to convert them to members that I have seen.

15k home members and 10k away members shouldn't be impossible for a club that has a whole country and tens of thousands of ex pats to market to.

ek999

First Grade
Each NRL club should have a similar policy. Pick a club in your NRL clubs catchment area and they'll get an amount of cash in proportion to your membership.

It's a great initiative but limiting it to catchment area is completely stupid. People will want the money to go into the community where they live. I couldn't give a flying f**k about a club in the Canterbury district and would provide no incentive for me to join (if I wasn't a member) but I would like for money to go to a club in my area

Eddie Lab

Juniors
so down on 9000 from same time last year

earlier this week it was looking like 15-17k less on last year. with that NRL release and clubs updating their websites we are looking better. still not good but it could be mainly be put on Sharks, Tigers and Warriors who are down a combined 8650.

Lossy

Juniors
I've seen the warriors play a few times in Sydney and Perth and there is usually a few thousand warriors fans at games. They are probably the only club that could have more members outside their home city. There would have easily been 7k people supporting the warriors at the Perth game last year. No attempt to convert them to members that I have seen.

15k home members and 10k away members shouldn't be impossible for a club that has a whole country and tens of thousands of ex pats to market to.

Again, fully agree there is massive improvement to be made, but you set the bar as the largest. The Bunnies and Broncos were both over your hypothetical Warriors figures last year.

The Warriors can hit your numbers on the back of genuine and consistent success -- that has failed to materialise thus far -- and if the club treats members on both sides of the Tasman better. But the leading clubs will improve, along with everyone else, and the NZ media and public will not abandon union. So, no... not the largest.

Lossy

Juniors
It's when you see the big crowds like the ones at the nines you just wonder where all the fans go. The warriors can pull 40K fans with almost no away fans, they're probably the only team in the comp bar the broncos who can do that in the regular season. That's ignoring the huge support they have in areas like Melbourne.

Should they be number 1 in the comp? No. That's an unfair expectation but they should be much, much higher.

Absolutely. It's the number 1 that I take issue with. I think we could reach number 4, but only on the back of success, and a rung higher if we have another NZ team so some provincial rivalry can be introduced. Would also make management up their game.

Most people I know go to a Warriors game when they have friends making a night/day of it, or if they've got a night free of rugby. And they are more likely to go to Eden Park than Mt Smart. I'm looking forward to seeing if year on year drop in EP numbers is a continual decline or if it just settles at a higher level than Mt Smart's averages.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I'm almost happy to see that membership decline percentage for the Broncs. Anything to propel the club to ditch Griffin, at this point.

Joely01

Bench
To be fair, 4000 down is for the total, we still (as does every club) have time to get that number. Which I think we will do.
I don't think you can be critical of parra's membership numbers at all, back to back wooden spoons, board issues season after season, false promises from past seasons. But the support has continued, I think we have done a fantastic job so far this year.

pHyR3

Juniors
numbers seem to be seriously stagnating....

was expecting us to pass 225k by start of the season but every club seems to have slowed down dramatically. not sure why, maybe it'll all update over the next week as each club picks up 2k members lol

RWB

Bench
Growth over January and February has been ridiculously slow, for all the supposed research the NRL did leading up to this season on memberships it doesn't seem to have had an affect.

The current administration under Dave Smith has done well in lots of areas but memberships definitely isn't one of them going on current numbers.

Questions need to be asked like why successful marketing campaigns such as Battle of the West, beaches etc etc have been scrapped.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Questions need to be asked like why successful marketing campaigns such as Battle of the West, beaches etc etc have been scrapped.
Good question. I loved those campaigns. Very tribal, very much rugby league.

BunniesMan

Immortal
About a year ago the NRL said what their long term membership/crowd goals were. Does anyone remember them? The crowd was 20k avg by 2017 I believe. We've gotten further away from that since. And I don't remember the membership goals.

It's a lot harder to convince people to be members in this day and age. The vast majority of passionate fans are already spending 50+ bucks a month on Foxtel. To get them to part with more on top of that for a membership is not as easy as it sounds.

If we started the membership push in the 80s/90s when there was much less tv coverage we would have gotten people into the habit of membership by the time mass tv coverage came around. That would have been preferable.

Latest posts