What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Draw

Not the Eels fault they were chosen but Ch 9 need to take some of the blame for the ratings, as JC points out.

As much as some teams rate very well compared to others, however after a while, the general public get over watching the same teams week in, week out. Familiarity breeds contempt.

As a fan of a club that apparently doesn't rate well, I'm happy to see the clubs that do rate well (& bring $ into the game via TV rights) get more FTA games. However it needs to be a bit better balanced if Ch 9 are going to get maximum return on investment by keeping the average fan interested in their broadcast.

I agree 100%. Channel 9's scheduling dept need to have a long hard look at themselves.

From memory, the Eels didn't have that many FTA games earlier in the season (more than the Sharks & Raiders though no doubt), so if they supposedly rate, I'm not sure why they wait until the end of the year when they'd proved themselves as rubbish. The reality is, they got a lot more than they deserve as reigning back to back spooners regardless of how they supposedly rate.

It's just a shame that a simple clause requiring each team to get 2-3 FTA games pa wasn't included in 9's TV deal.

Hass

Juniors
How about start the game live and throw the ads in making it the 2 hour spectacle they currently have with the delayed game? It's not perfect for the viewer because you can still stumble across a final score before you see the end of the game but it limits the potential problem.

This isn't perfect but would be an improvement on the current situation.

I think it would work really well if you used the length of the half-time break to "catch-up" and were able to watch the entire second-half live.

So in the first half you'd have 3 x 3 minute commercial breaks, plus another 3 minute break at half time.

That's 12 minutes of ads, but with a half time break of 15 minutes you'd be able to pick up live coverage a whole three minutes before play resumes. At this point the broadcaster would have to slot in ads where they can like they do in any live broadcast.

So Channel 9 would get a good 13 or 14 minutes worth of ads during a game (not counting before kickoff and after full-time), while fans would see the start and the end of the match live.

Raiderdave

First Grade
what are our thoughts on round one ?

here is mine & it would deliver a record attendance for a round if promoted & marketed correctly.( all KO times local ground times)

Thurs 7.30pm Allianz Stadium Roosters V South Sydney
Fri 7.30pm Suncorp Broncos V Cowboys
Sat 7.30pm Eden Park Warriors V Storm
Sat 7.30pm ANZ Stadium Bulldogs V Tigers
Sat 8.30pm Skilled Park Titans V Dragons
Sun 3.00pm Hunter Stad Knights V Manly
Sun 7.00pm Remondis Sharks V Raiders
Mon 7.00pm Centrebet Panthers V Parra

think this would be a great start to the season with over 210,000 attending this lot

Valheru

Coach

here is mine & it would deliver a record attendance for a round if promoted & marketed correctly.( all KO times local ground times)

think this would be a great start to the season with over 210,000 attending this lot

The Rabbits are due to host the opener next season

Canard

Immortal
Originally Posted by Card Shark View Post
Ratings bring advertising $. If there are no stoppages in play to show ads, how are good ratings of much use?

Ch 9 & Fox need to cover their outlay, not only in broadcast right costs but the broadcast production costs themselves.

The game can't have it's cake & eat it too. I can't see why this is so hard to understand.

Whether legal or not, live NRL is readily accessible in this day and age, not to mention legal avenues such as websites, radio and social media.

Delayed sports are diluting a TV networks ratings, not increasing them.

Sport is the one TV event that is valuable as a live telecast, and loses value when shown delayed.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

I'm not an advocate of so many big clashes in Round 1.

SYD v SOU - yes. BRI v NQL, I guess so. The thing is, the opening round clashes are generally going to be well attended anyway because people are drooling for the action. A spread of big games over the first five-ten rounds is a better idea.

Warriors v Storm - no - would mean the ANZAC Day game is only 5-6 weeks later max... gotta avoid having matches that close together, particularly so early in the year.

Given reports they're thinking of going with AFL and having a split opening round I'm thinking:

Fri 7th 7:30pm (9) - Rabbitohs v Roosters @ ANZ
Sat 8th 7:00pm (F) - Dragons v Tigers @ Kogarah
Sun 9th 3:30pm (9) - Sharks v Storm @ Remondis
then
Fri 14th 7:30pm (9) - Broncos v Cowboys @ Suncorp
Sat 15th 7:00pm (F) - Sea Eagles v Eels @ Brookvale
Sun 16th 3:30pm (9) - Bulldogs v Panthers @ ANZ
Sun 16th 6:30pm (F) - Titans v Knights @ Skilled
Mon 17th 7:00pm (F) - Raiders v Warriors @ GIO

Not sure how that works with 9 getting an extra game, but it's worth a shot.

Swarzey

Bench
If Ch 9. want better ratings then how about this. PLAY THE SUNDAY GAME LIVE! FFS

Can anyone explain to me the reason for the delayed telecast?

Advertising. It's crammed with ads whenever they can.

The way I would personally like to see them handle the Sunday timeslot is move back the Sunday Footy Show to say 1:30pm and broadcast it from the game itself. Like the way they did it for the Grand Final this year with The Roast down on the field in the corner. Cram the extra ads they would typically air then.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Warriors v Storm - no - would mean the ANZAC Day game is only 5-6 weeks later max... gotta avoid having matches that close together, particularly so early in the year.

Dragons v roosters is the ANZAC clash.

The fact they are trying to introduce a 2nd one cheapens the.significance, if you ask me..

Diesel

Referee
The Storm have hosted 4-5 ANZAC Day games against the Warriors, they've done well to build this game and continuously get good crowd numbers and it'll continue regardless of how many people want a Sydney only ANZAC Day game. The NRL isn't just about Sydney clubs and what they want

Timmah

Staff member

The fact they are trying to introduce a 2nd one cheapens the.significance, if you ask me..

They're actually both ANZAC clashes, and are both recognised as such by the NRL - one is at 4 and one is at 7. It's already confirmed by the Storm actually.

Juju

Juniors

*facepalm. a game featuring a NZ club is alot more logical don't you think.

Valheru

Coach
What would be more logical is the warriors getting a turn to host it. At least the roosters and dragons alternate the gate.

Dragons01

First Grade
What would be more logical is the warriors getting a turn to host it. At least the roosters and dragons alternate the gate.

Love the ANZAC day game. Favourite regular season game. The sense of occasion seems to grow every year. Both clubs run it very well and it works well alternating the gate.

If the crowd keeps growing it will eventually outgrow Allainz.

joshie

Live Update Team

I agree to a certain extent. We want good crowd numbers for the game and unless the Warriors are going well, I doubt they would pull a good crowd for an Anzac day clash with the Storm. But in saying that, when we travel there are heaps of kiwi fans who love watching the clash, but would it go further than 20,000?

I hope this clash grows and sells out AAMI Park continuously.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/be...start-new-season/story-fndujljl-1226749238604

Ben Barba versus Canterbury Bulldogs grudge match to start new season

EXCLUSIVE Phil Rothfield
The Daily Telegraph
October 30, 2013 12:00AM

THE NRL will launch the 2014 season with the grudge match of the year — superstar Ben Barba against the club he walked out on, the Bulldogs.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that broadcasters Channel 9 requested the Brisbane-Canterbury blockbuster for the opening Friday night of the season at Suncorp Stadium on March 7.

It would put the fullback and 2012 Dally M champion up against his old club and many of the players he fell out with during a tumultuous 2013 that included claims of domestic violence as well as gambling and alcohol issues.

On the Thursday night, March 6, bitter local rivals the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Sydney Roosters will play at ANZ Stadium.

The games will also be shown live in high definition on Channel 9, the station having finally overcome the technical issues that prevented it covering the NRL in HD.

Nine recently lodged its requests with the NRL for the opening 20 rounds of a fixed-schedule season and expects final approval within days.

The AFL season draw is revealed on Thursday but the NRL will be at least two weeks later.

Barba’s clash with the Bulldogs will surely sell out Suncorp, ensuring a bumper 50,000-plus State of Origin-type crowd in Brisbane.

The night before, the Roosters and Rabbitohs will get up towards 70,000 at Homebush in what has now become the traditional season kick-off.

Barba, recovering from recent ankle surgery, last night told The Daily Telegraph it would be a huge first-round challenge.

"Wow, imagine the crowd," Barba said.

"I’ve got to play against the boys sometime, so it might as well be round one. At the moment I’m just getting over my surgery and looking forward to starting training.

"At this stage I’m thinking more about the Broncos than my opponents."

It’s no secret Barba left the Bulldogs on bad terms with many of his teammates and coaching staff.

They were bitter he walked out on the club after management and coach Des Hasler had invested heavily in his rehabilitation.

The two opening-round blockbusters are part of more strategic planning involving Nine, Fox Sports, the NRL and the clubs.

A poorly thought-out schedule was largely blamed for the slump in crowds and TV ratings last season.

"We will be trying to play as many of the big marquee games in key timeslots to maximise TV ratings and crowds," the NRL’s head of football Todd Greenberg said.

Timmah

Staff member
Snore. Should be at ANZ anyway.

Either way, when was the last time two premiership matches were played on the same two nights just one competition round apart? And at the same venue?

R26 last year - Bris/Dogs Suncorp Thu, Souths/Syd ANZ Fri
R1 next year - Souths/Syd ANZ Thu, Bris/Dogs Suncorp Fri

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
'Channel 9 has requested'

Channel 9 can go and get f**ked. It's unbelievable they think they have the power to dictate the matchups in the draw.

I hope the Thursday night opener is a one off too, and we don't see 5 rounds of it again this season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We will get two games in Perth (so far) next season, I would imagine both will be Sunday 6:30pm (eastern coast ) games given how popular that slot is for fans in Perth (4:30pm our time). Nine should show them live but they will probably end up on Fox.