What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 SG Ball & Harold Matts (and other junior rep news)

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I have to disagree. This years squad is stronger IMO. Many of this years squad played last year a year above their age and were the better players in the side.

Keenan

Juniors
I have to disagree. This years squad is stronger IMO. Many of this years squad played last year a year above their age and were the better players in the side.

Last years year young players were a very skilled & talented group & agree were some of the better players in that squad.
But now they've become the senior members,the new members in the team are a little shy of that talented group.
Like M4E said they seem to be keen on securing the Ball title this year though 3/4 players are good enough to move into the 20's squad.
Will they win it,yeah maybe but only because of the core of the year young players from last season & the advancement of year young players from other teams into their 20's squads in my opinion.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Last years year young players were a very skilled & talented group & agree were some of the better players in that squad.
But now they've become the senior members,the new members in the team are a little shy of that talented group.
Like M4E said they seem to be keen on securing the Ball title this year though 3/4 players are good enough to move into the 20's squad.
Will they win it,yeah maybe but only because of the core of the year young players from last season & the advancement of year young players from other teams into their 20's squads in my opinion.

Hey mate, they're are not serious in running Tyronne as a 2nd rower.

Half, 5/8, fullback and maybe, lock for me.

Keenan

Juniors
Hey mate, they're are not serious in running Tyronne as a 2nd rower.

Half, 5/8, fullback and maybe, lock for me.

I agree mate but I heard they ran him at second row during last weeks trial as well as fullback.
The squad has recruited 3 halves and do not have a competent fullback ,though May only played fullback there for the first time in the last 3 rounds last season.He & Soni Luke are a formidable partnership in the halves.
I think they will be competitive and will make the final rounds but an injury to the major core players & the squad will struggle.

Can't count Parramatta or defending champs Balmain out,they deserve favouritism also.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I agree mate but I heard they ran him at second row during last weeks trial as well as fullback.
The squad has recruited 3 halves and do not have a competent fullback ,though May only played fullback there for the first time in the last 3 rounds last season.He & Soni Luke are a formidable partnership in the halves.
I think they will be competitive and will make the final rounds but an injury to the major core players & the squad will struggle.

Can't count Parramatta or defending champs Balmain out,they deserve favouritism also.

Don't know about Parramatta, I wouldn't write them off; but, they have (for reasons only known to the junior development crew and talent scouts) gutted their 2012 Harold Matts premiership winning squad. I would say about 10 or more of the 25 squad members are not in the 2014 SG Ball squad.

I agree that Luke and May form a good half, 5/8 combination and I'm surprised that they would not start the comp, as such.

Last edited:

Keenan

Juniors
It's a shame that the 2012 Parramatta Squad was dismantled and the reasons why especially having a successful team,where is the development in that? May come back to bite them in the future.

The same may go for Penrith as well after seeing the 20's squad they are fielding this week,there are at least 4 to 5 players they've held back in Ball who would certainly have some of the 20's squad players watching from the side lines & just reinforces they are gunning for the Ball title this year.

This team would definitely struggle to make the finals if those 4-5 players were promoted to the 20's!

Last edited:

Tucantango

Juniors
For me Penrith are going to have to be the red hot favourites for Ball.

Firstly, they have the nucleus of last years team (and what a formidable nucleus it is) still available for selection.

Secondly, the players I speak of (above) were their stars in 2013, and should theoretically shine even brighter in 2014.

I hear what your saying Keenan with respect to the Tigers, however the key players which they had for 2012-13 have now departed and I don't think they have enough players of the same calibre to replace them!

On a final note why is May's representatives not putting their foot down with respect to this lad being constantly played out of position? Dont get me wrong as he does well whenever and whatever he plays but he seriously needs to be put back into the halves.

For mine he is being developed as a utility which does him no great favours with respect to long term career prospects! In other words; "a jack of all trades but a master of none!"

Keenan

Juniors
For me Penrith are going to have to be the red hot favourites for Ball.

Firstly, they have the nucleus of last years team (and what a formidable nucleus it is) still available for selection.

Secondly, the players I speak of (above) were their stars in 2013, and should theoretically shine even brighter in 2014.

I hear what your saying Keenan with respect to the Tigers, however the key players which they had for 2012-13 have now departed and I don't think they have enough players of the same calibre to replace them!

On a final note why is May's representatives not putting their foot down with respect to this lad being constantly played out of position? Dont get me wrong as he does well whenever and whatever he plays but he seriously needs to be put back into the halves.

For mine he is being developed as a utility which does him no great favours with respect to long term career prospects! In other words; "a jack of all trades but a master of none!"

I respect & totally agree with your dialogue TUC but I believe that there development would best suit them progressing to the 20's team even if it meant limited time on the field.It would do them much more than chasing a trophy.In regards to May you couldn't of summed the situation better & is a deterrent to his ability to focus on being the best he can become at one or two positions.I think going from fullback to second row is nonsense especially when he & Luke are an excellent combination,having played all the footy with & against one another from under 6's.

magpie4ever

First Grade
From the Balmain JRL website:

Balmain Junior Rugby League have finalised SG Ball and Harold Matthews squads for the 2014 season.

Harold Matthews 2014 squad:

Patrick Abouharb
Eddie Abraham
Zac Allen
Richard Amone
Lachlan Attwood
Bradley Booby
Adam Doueihi
Justin Frain
John Paul Hannawe
Luke Hodge
Mitchell Hyde
William Lawson
Harrison Leonard
Abdulla Matar
Tyrell Maui
Angelo Panambalana
Ryan Papenhuyzen
Adam Rizk
Zac Ryan
Moses Suli
Spike Teio
Kobe Thorson
Nicholas Wilkinson

Coach: Michael Frain

SG Ball 2014 squad:

Jack Dunn
Inoke Fainu
Jamie Hill
Scott Hogan
Dillon Khoury
Richard Latu
Roman Loefu
D’Rhys Miller
Joshua Nohra
Marcel Owen
Monson Paewai
Pifeleti Pifeleti
Raui Poaru
Jaleel Seve-Derbas
Bayley Sironen
Robert Siteine
Pio Sokobaulava
Junior Tatola
Jacob Tatupu
Jake Trindall
Josh Tupolo
TJ Uele
Liam Walker
Nial Walker
Jack Wheelhouse

Coach: Mathew Head

KAB

Juniors
I have read in today's paper that CEO of the bogs suggested to the NRL about players leaving clubs / breaking agreements to have to pay out the agreement or percentage of the agreement, to the club. This idea would be great. It might help with junior players that have signed with a club then decide to sign with another and another. And with different codes. Which I don't understand. I believe in junior rep footy they should be from our junior base. Oh Next week first round begins, Good luck to all teams involved, get behind your local team. I can't wait to see the knights ball and matts sides.

Bull bear

Juniors
Bears HM team beat both Western and South Western Academies 2 tries to 1 yesterday
Hard hit out before season proper

MOONUNIT

Juniors
Does anybody know whats going on between cc centurions and knights ? two players from c coast selected in knights matts starting side have been denied a release,they have been training with the squad since november, why crush their dream ?

girvie

Staff member
SG Ball sides - Round 1

St George

1. BEN CASSELL
2. NATHAN MCILVEEN
3. DANIEL ASCOLI
4. SHELDON PARKE
5. SAM TABUATAMATA
6. MAHMOUD SROUR
7. RHYS DAVIES
8. TOPIESE TAUFA
9. RYAN FLETCHER
10. VILIAMI TUITAVAKE
11. NOA TUITAVUKI
12. SIAOPO TAGALOA (C)
13. DELANE CHERRINGTON
14. THOMAS GARRIDO
15. SHOWAAN BAJPAI
16. ABDULLAH ISSA
17. BAILEY LANG
19. NETANE VI
20. EPHRIM CRICHTON
21. LONI TAFEUNI
22. BRANDON BOUMELHEM
23. BRETT BEARDMORE
24. JAKE WEDESWEILER

COACH: MICK MARTON

Steelers

1. JYE DUNNING
2. BRENDAN WOODS
3. LACHLAN STEIN
4. DONTE EFARAIMO
5. TYRONE SIBRAA
6. PAORA KEMP
7. JACK EAGER
8. MATTHEW JURD
9. JARRAD WHITTY
10. BLAKE LAWRIE (C)
11. NICK KING
12. VAUGHAN THISTLETHWAITE
13. NATHAN LEATIGAGA
14. BRODY HAWKINS
15. MAX BAILEY
19. TORY BRUNNING
20. LUKE CHALKER
21. CALLUM COREY

COACH: SHANE MILLARD

WSAS

1. SAM MCKINLAY
2. LANGI SULI-RUKA
3. ROBBIE GRAHAM
4. TBA
5. BRODY MALIETOA
6. DILLON KHOURY
7. JAROME BROADBRIDGE
8. JAMIE STOWERS
9. MATTHEW PRICE
10. JAMES TASIPALE
11. COREY WADDELL
12. SHANE COPPINS
13. REED IZZARD (C)
14. MARK GRIFFITHS
15. WILL RYAN
16. SHANE KIEL
17. TANGIRERE HOKAI
18. JORDAN FINLAYSON
19. JOEL BORG
20. REGAN RONA
21. JAKE BUTFIELD
22. CHARBEL ANJOUL
23. LIAM MURRAY
24. ANTONIO SONI
25. ISSAC HARRISON

COACH: SCOTT THOMPSON

Parra

1. BEVAN FRENCH
2. JERMAINE MATI-LEFI
3. ATINI GAFA
4. TUI OLAPOU
5. JAMES GAMMIDGE
6. JASON VIDAL ©
7. TROY DARGAN
8. TOM AMONE
9. NIFO SEVI
10. WAYNE FRANCIS
11. TYRELL FUIMAONO ©
12. CRAIG FIELD
13. DENZAL TONISE
14. JOE TRAMONTONA
15. JONATHAN MOSES
16. THOMAS FIELD
17. JACK MORRIS
18. SEAN WALPOLE
19. ANTHONY LAYOUN
20. MICHAEL DOOLAN
21. KADINCE CRISTENSEN
22. JAKE STEADMAN
23. CODY GRILLS
24. SIMON FONUA
25. SIONE KATOA

COACH: MARK MAHONEY

Centurions

1. LUKE SHARPE
2. JOE WILLIAMS
3. JESSE BOGLE
4. DAMON GOOLAGONG
5. RYAN FIELD
6. DANIEL LANGBRIDGE
7. DANIEL PECK
8. JACOB SAIFITI
9. JACOB LIDDE
10. MITCH CONNOR
11. TOM MADDEN
12. MITCH JACOBS
13. SAMI TARCHICHI
14. JOE MORRIS
15. WADE KEMPLEN
16. MITCH CASSON
17. BEN THOMAS
18. LINCOLN SMITH
19. BAILEY SHIACH-WISE
20. LIAM SWAN
21. MATTHEW DOWNEY
22. JAKOB GILES
23. BRODIE COOPER
24. SHANE VASSALLO
25. DANIEL SAIFITI

COACH: GAVIN SPAIN

WA Pirates

1. JAKE DOUBIKIN
2. TYLER THOMAS
3. HENRY FUI
4. SAM DEFIDDES
5. NELA VI
6. JOSH ROGERS
7. MAROUNA BENIONI
8. JUNIOR LISONE
9. TOM JOHNSON
10. REGI CHURCHWARD
11. ED KATU
12. KIAM FLETCHER
13. KEELYN TUUTA-EDWARDS
14. ZAC O’KEEFE
15. ISAIAH PEDERSEN
16. TRAZAN RIHIA
17. MARCUZ CONNETT
18. SONNY KERR
19. CHASE WATSON
20. ETHAN WILLIAMS
21. POINGA BIDDLE
22. WICUS BOSHOFF
23. KOBE TUHAKARAINA
24. FALCON PENI

COACH: DANIEL GREEN

Bunnies

1. TOM PERRIN
2. GALU LEOTA-FUIMAONO
3. REIMIS SMITH
4. TEVITA COTTRELL
5. JOHNATHAN TUFUGA
6. JAKE GALLAGHER
7. LIAM COLEMAN (C)
8. BROCK GRAY
9. JOHN NEIL
10. ZANE MUSGROVE
11. TRISTAN ALVARADO
12. BRANDON ATALIFO
13. NAT BUTCHER
14. HARRY BARSDELL
15. SUKAMANU RAKI
16. SIOSIFA TALAKAI
17. NATHAN MILLER
18. JOSH POTTS
19. KEEDEN KELLY
20. FRASER GRAHAM
21. JADE ANDERSON
22. JOSH ELLISON
23. HAIMONA HIROTI

COACH: ARTHUR KITINAS

Bears

1. DEAN READING
2. NIKO FIAPULENIKO
3. NELSON FLORIMO
4. JOHN OLIVE ©
5. CONNOR JOHNSTON
6. JORDAN HUCKSTEPP
7. HAYDEN MCWILLIAMS
8. ADAM SOULTAN
9. PATRICK NAKHOUL
10. CAELUM CORBETT
11. JACOB MCCUDDEN
12. JORDAN FORSYTH
13. MORGAN STEVENS
14. JACK JOHNSTON
15. WAYDE EGAN
16. BILL SOWTER
17. KANE MASLO
18. JUSTIN SMITH
19. CHRIS MARINAKIS
20. JOHN SOLIA
21. BEN SAKURU
22. ILIESA LEWADROMODRONO
23. HAYDEN HALE
24. TUPOU UNGOUGA
25. NATHAN CORBETT

COACH: SHANE MILLARD

Manly

1. HARRY O’TOOLE
2. CLINT MAGUIRE
3. HARLAN COLLINS
4. JESSE RAMIEN
5. MITCH THOMAS
6. NICHOLAS HYNES
7. BILLY VERRILLS
8. ELIA FAATUI
9. WADE HANNELL
10. TUALIMA TUALIMA
11. SCOTT MORAN
12. BILL BAINBRIDGE
13. DARCY COX
14. JARROD COX
15. BEAU ABRAHAMS
16. TONI FINAU
17. AARON GROOM
18. AISEA TUKIPILI
19. JUDD HANLON
20. TODD MILLS
21. EZERA CHEE-KAM
22. MOSES MCGREAL

COACH: TONY CLARKE

Tigers

1. JOSH TUPUOLA-LEATO
2. RAUI POARU
3. MONSON PAEWAI
4. LEIGHTON TALI
5. LIAM WALKER
6. BAYLEY SIRONEN
7. ROMAN IOEFU
8. PIFELETI PIFELETI
9. JACK WHEELHOUSE
10. MARCEL OWEN
11. JALEEL SEVE-DERBAS
12. JAMIE HILL
13. TJ UELE
15. D’RHYS MILLER
16. INOKE FAINU
17. RICHARD LATU
18. JACK DUNN
20. JOSH NOHRA
21. ROBERT SITEINE

COACH: MATHEW HEAD

Canberra

1. CHRIS HART
2. THOMAS CRONAN
3. CLEVELAND MCGHIE
4. JACK WILLIAMS
5. TRE WILLIAMS
6. LACHLAN CROKER
7. JACK HICKSON
8. CHARLIE MACKENZIE
9. RYAN GRIFFIN
10. LEON TUPUOLA
11. KALANI GOING
12. BEN MAGUIRE
13. JORDAN AIONO-FATU
14. DAVID f**kA
15. DANIEL DOLE
16. ZAC WOOLFORD
17. DAVID AFEMUI
18. KODY PARSONS
19. BEN NARISIA
20. ADAM LUCAS
21. MORGAN BOYLE

COACH: PETER MARRAPODI

Knights

1. DAVID SHERIDAN
2. CORY DENNISS
3. CALLAN EDWARDS
4. BRADEN ROBSON
5. JACK MACKIN
6. BROCK LAMB
7. JAKE MCNAMARA
8. ISAAC RICHARDSON
9. TYRONE WALSH
10. TYRONE AMEY
11. RYAN GLANVILLE
12. SAM STONE
13. SAM APTHORPE
14. JACK COGGER
15. FAITOTOA FAITOTOA
16. ADAM HAMILTON
17. JAYDEN BUTTERFIELD
19. WILL SHEELY
20. NGANGARRA BARKER
21. ZACK LEONARD
22. CHARLIE WOODS
23. MALIK DEYALOU
24. ROHAN POTTINGER

COACH: TREVOR OTT & TODD EDWARDS

Western Suburbs

1. MASON CERRUTO
2. CHRISTIAN TULUA
3. DAVID WRIGHT
4. JACKSON KULI
5. MAKAERE BUSH
6. VEIRU MAPESONE
7. JAMES PERLOWSKI
8. DANE COSKERIE
9. TYSON WAWATAI
10. KYE MADDEN
11. RAY STONE
12. MARK MCCORMACK
13. CHRIS VE’E
14. JETT KARAM
15. KADE YULE
16. CODY KING
17. TANIELA PASEKA
18. JACK PAYNE
19. CHARLTON SCHAAFHAUSEN
20. LIAM CASSIDY
21. VISIANO VAOHEA
22. DEMPSEY ANDERSON
23. JORDIE REID
24. LUKHAN TUI

COACH: BEN ROGERS

Roosters

1. LATRELL MITCHELL
2. CHEVI ELLIS
3. PAUL MOMOROVSKI
4. JOSEPH MANU
5. JORDAN REMFRY
6. TRAVIS EDWARDS
7. CHAD O'DONNELL
8. POASA FOAMAUSILI
9. GRANT GARVEY
10. DARREN SCHONIG
11. REUBEN PORTER
12. ANGUS CRICHTON
13. RYAN KING
15. JOSEPH RATUVAKACEREIVALU
16. ISSAC CRICHTON
17. SHAQ MITCHELL
18. CONNOR WATSON
22. KIEREN KENNEDY
23. JACK MURCHIE

COACH: ANTHONY BARNES

Bulldogs

1. MARCELO MONTOYA
2. HARRY LOWE
3. HAKARAIA TOI TOI
4. ETHAN FAGALOA-TIME
5. MARCUS JENSEN
6. JOSH BERGAMIN
7. FRAZER PRICE
8. JORDAN LOTO'ANIU
9. ALI ALLOUCHE ©
10. DARCY MAROSKE
11. VAILIMA TEAUPA
12. JAYDEN OKUNBOR
13. AVIA MINUTE
14. SAM BURNS
15. JORDAN LEMALU
16. RHYS KEARNS
17. SOLOMON POPE
19. ANTON IARIA
20. LUKE HIGGINS

COACH: BRAD HENDERSON

Panthers

1. CHRISTIAN CRICHTON
2. FUIMANU ENESE
3. JACK NELSON
4. ROBERT JENNINGS
5. SHAUN FITZGERALD
6. NATHAN CLEARY
7. SONI LUKE
8. OLIVER CLARK ©
9. CASEY LAFAELE
10. HALA OFI-KI SAMISONI
11. TYRONE MAY
12. JOE VAEGAAU
13. DYLAN FUAD
14. THOMSON TUIGAMALA
15. COWEN EPERE
16. JAMES FISHER
17. CAMERON COLLINS
18. NICK GREENHALGH
19. MARIO-JOSEPH EL BOUSTANI
20. KAIDE ELLIS
21. JAKE ENNIS
22. HAMISH POMARE
23. VINCENNES FIALELEI-AUSAGE
24. FRANCIS LALOUA-TUI
25. DYLAN EDWARDS

COACH: ALEX CHAN

Melbourne

1. DION MASOE
2. AMANAKI MANU
3. ROMEA DYER
4. LATRELL ROBINSON
5. CHANEL SEIGAFO
6. GEORGE HOUSE
7. ZAC GREENE
8. BEN NAKUBUWAI
9. SHELDON PITAMA
10. KURT BERNARD
11. CHARLIE GALO
12. NELSON ASOFA-SOLOMONA
13. ELI VOLE
14. CONNOR DONEHUE
15. BEN HALPENNY
16. BRENDON FREI
17. MELVIN FIFITA
18. PAULA FIFITA
19. JOSH KANONGATA’A
20. JAMAYNE TAUNOA

COACH: TONY ADAM

Cronulla Sharks

1. RYAN CUMMINS
2. SCOTT ALLEN
3. TYLER MCILROY
4. DANIEL SMITHERS
5. CURTIS SCOTT
6. JAMAYNE ISAAKO
7. CONNOR TRACEY
8. PATRICK HASSON
9. JAYDEN BRAILEY
10. DANIEL VASQUEZ
11. JAYDEN WALKER
12. ASH NISBET
13. BILLY MAGOULIAS
14. JACK WILLIAMS
15. DANIEL LIDDICOAT
16. BROCK ILETT
17. BEN HENDERSON
18. COREY WILLIS
19. JYE BOWEN
20. JYE CHALLENOR
21. CAMERON SCOTT
22. JOSH LONGMUIR
23. TIM DAVIES
24. LACHLAN HUGHES
25. JET JARVIS

COACH: DAVID HOWLETT

girvie

Staff member
SG Ball Preview - Round 1
NSWRL Media
14/02/2014 1:00:00 PM

Just like its Harold Matthews counterpart, the Parramatta and Penrith game screams match of the round and you would think this match could have ramifications on final spots even though it is the first game of a nine game season.

Both sides ooze class across the park. Penrith are captained by outstanding front-rower Oliver Clark and he is well supported by a team with players like Robert Jennings, Soni Luke and Dylan Faud. After the SG Ball season it is becoming more and more common to see players step straight up to Holden Cup and you would think a few of the names we have mentioned will do the same this season.

When looking at Parramatta coach Mark Mahoney’s side it is amazing to see how much depth he has at his disposal. Michael Doolan, a player who last year played NSW Indigenous U16s, NSW Under 16s, won back-to-back Harold Matthews titles and back-to-back National tiles, as well as a host of schoolboy awards, is forced to start off the bench.

The Eels will be steered around the park by second year SG Ball halfback Jason Vidal and led in the forwards by NSW Under 18s representative Tyrell Fuimaono. Nifo Sevi keeps Harold Matthews premiership captain Joey Tramontana on the bench with Bevan French getting the nod as the starting custodian ahead of Anthony Layourn.

The SG Ball match at TG Milner featuring Balmain and North Sydney will also feature two new generations of families whose names are synonymous with their respective clubs. Bayle Sironen (Balmain) and Nelson Florimo (North Sydney) will both line-up with plenty to prove. Sironen narrowly missed NSW Under 16 selection last year and Florimo will be out to restore the pride his father instilled in the famous red and black jersey.

If you are heading out to TG Milner we suggest you cast your eye across North Sydney centre John Olive. Our spies tell us he has already been snapped up by and NRL club for Holden Cup duties and is a star of the future.

The next match we think will get our junior rep fans excited is the Bulldogs and Raiders clash at Belmore. When ringing around our sources we kept getting one solid theme. People rate this year’s Raiders SG Ball team.

At a quick glance, Chris Hart, Cleveland McGhie, Jack Williams and Lachlan Croker all return for their second year in Peter Marrapodi’s backline. The forwards, however, are experiencing SG Ball footy for the first time after players like Luke Bateman, Tevita Pangai and Jarred McIllwrick have graduated to Holden Cup.

The Bulldogs have plenty of spark as well and one player we reckon is worth a look is Jayden Okunbor. Okunbor has a great story behind him, his parents are of African heritage, he captained the Harold Matthews side last year and he is a dead-ringer for Jamal Idris (not just in looks, but in size and speed).

Okunbor’s back-row partner is the experienced Avia Minute. Minute, like his older brother David, is tough, uncompromising and a leader in defence. This game has plenty to offer and those lucky enough to be at Belmore won’t be disappointed.

In other matches, the NSWRL Match Centre will be covering the Shire derby between Cronulla and St George from 11.30am while at the same time at Brookvale, South Sydney and Manly line-up against each other.

At 1.30pm the Illawarra Steelers make the long trip up to Morry Breen Oval to take on the Central Coast Centurions before a star-studded Sydney Roosters side, including Sonny-Bill Williams, take on the Newcastle Knights VB NSW Cup side in a trial.

Down in the garden state, Melbourne Storm host the Roosters who have had a change in coach from Mark Riddell to Anthony Barnes while the West Coast Pirates come across the Nullarbor for the first time to take on the Western Sydney Academy at St Marys Stadium.

The SG Ball round concludes when two traditional powerhouses, the Newcastle Knights and Western Suburbs Magpies square off at Cessnock Sports Ground at 5.30pm.

Once again the NSWRL Twitter account @NSWRL will be providing halftime and fulltime match results and you can follow the account by clicking here.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=90392&title=sg-ball-preview---round-1

girvie

Staff member
HAROLD MATTHEWS TEAM LISTS - ROUND ONE
NSWRL Media
12/02/2014 9:00:00 AM

Souths

1. DYLAN O’CONNOR (C)
2. REECE MACINTOSH
3. REECE TOWNSEND
4. MARWENE HIROTI
5. THOMAS MCGURGAN
6. RANGI BOYCE
7. KURTIS PREECE
8. EMRE GULER
9. BLAKE MANOWSKI
10. HENRY FUIMAONO
11. KEENEN NGAMOTU
12. KEON KOLOAMATANGI
13. JED BOURIS
14. TYLER BROWN
15. KHAN SMITH
16. DEAN HAWKINS
17. MOANA MATAKAIONGO
18. BOBBY NADER
19. JOHNNY MITSIAS
20. JOEY HAWA
21. JACKSON COLLINS
22. CAMERON MURRAY

COACH: WILLIE PETERS

Western Suburbs

1. JAMEN JOHNSON
2. JAMES TAUTAIOLEFUA
3. JUSTICE UTATAO
4. NEPOTE KAVAPALU
5. MANISELA TEUHEMA
6. HOSEA LEUEA
7. KYREN JACOB
8. TOM ANGEL
9. HAYDEN MOON
10. BLAKE LEAVER
11. NATHAN NOOROA
12. KERETI TAUTAIOLEFUA
13. JUNIOR FAINGA’A
14. AILEND PIHEMA
15. JAKE SCOTT
16. TRENT PEOPLES
17. BROCK BENTLEY
18. NATHAN PATOLO
19. DALLAS GRIECO
20. JACK GREENE
21. CODY BENSON
22. CHRISTIAN POUTOA
23. TAUFA KAVAPALU
24. SIOSAIA MATAKA

COACH: SHANE SULTANA

Panthers

1. JONAH METUANGARO
2. BERKUT TASTAN
3. ZANE BLAKE
4. JESSE ABBOTT
5. LEVI PETERSEN
6. KIERAN HAYMAN
7. SEAN O'SULLIVAN
8. NAVAETANGI SONI
9. MENI LUKE
10. BEN CARTWRIGHT
11. TERRELL SMITH
12. JAKE GILLETT-GOW (C)
13. SAMUEL RADOVU
14. RAYMOND MAROUN
15. JOHN KAUFUSI
16. VONDEL WILLIAMS-LIOLEVAVE
17. SAMSON KERR
18. CALEB WIRI
19. SHANNON HARRIS
20. JOSEPH PUPU
21. LEWIS LEOTA
22. MITCHELL BUTFIELD
23. MITCHELL HAGGART
24. KYLE TUKAPUA
25. JOHN TOSO

COACH: BRETT ATKINSON

Knights

1. MATT COOPER
2. BRAYDEN MUSGROVE
3. HEATH GIBBS
4. NICOLAS O’MELEY
5. SAMUEL MCINTYRE
6. HUDSON YOUNG
7. BRENDAN O’HAGAN
8. LUKE CASSON
9. TOM STARLING
10. PASAMI SAULO
11. JOEL TAYLOR
12. BRODIE JONES ©
13. KURTIS DARK
14. NASH BIRCH
15. JACK WEIR
16. JAYDEN HOCKING
17. JACK LUMBY
20. KYNAN BLASCZAK
22. LUKE HUTH
23. MATTHEW ATCHISON
24. LACHLAN BENT
25. TEX HOY

COACH: ANTHONY GLEESON

St George

1. DANIEL STOJANOVSKI
2. DEAN XENOS
3. JEFFREY TUITAVUKI
4. FOTI VOUDOUKIS
5. JOSHUA CASSIDY
6. KIERAN WYLD
7. JOE LOVODUA (C)
8. DAVID NAUFAHU
9. TREYMAINE BROWN
10. SOAKIMI TUITAVUKI
11. JAKE SOMBOLI
12. SAM MATENGA
13. ZAC VELLA
14. MATTHEW DAY
15. ROBERT ALLAN
16. TE KARI WAAKA
18. HUSSEIN AWADA
19. DESTRY TAMAI
20. MITCHELL CLIFT
21. JOEL HOLDSWORTH
22. ENIASI TOKELAU

COACH: GRAEME WYNN

SWAS

1. LUKE WRIGHT
2. CALLUM CLYBURN
3. SIONE SIKA
4. PURUATA TUAPOU
5. MICHAEL CHAN CHECK
6. NETANE MASIMA
7. LACHLAN MACLEAN
8. LACHLAN NATAPU
9. TIMOTHY CRAWFORD
10. HANS TA’ALA
11. TRAVIS CRANFIELD
12. TALALELEI MAUIGOA
13. BENJAMIN SEUFALE
14. JEFF ILI
15. SAM TIMU
16. JOSUA YARANAMUA
17. KYLE GRAHAM
18. DHENZEL TAVUI
19. ALEX POTIFARA
20. MITCHELL NOBBS
21. AFIA-JOE TEVAGA
22. MARK CRITCHLEY
23. JACKSON WILLIS

COACH: JOHN MCPHERSON

Canberra

1. NIC COTRIC
2. SEBASTIAN KRIS
3. MATHEW LYONS
4. BAILEY SIMONSSON
5. JED SIMBIKEN
6. CASEY WALL
7. LACHLAN COOPER ©
8. LUKE HICKS
9. SAM FINNEGAN
10. JAKE WALKER
11. JAKE NOTARAS
12. JOSH STUCKEY
13. JAI LYONS
14. BRADY KEEN
15. JESSE ROBERTSON
16. CHARLIE REARDON
17. FRANCIS-SOAKAI TAI
19. MICHAEL VARDOS
20. DUSTIN LITSTER
21. SAMUEL DOBB
22. JESE SMITH-SHIELDS
23. DANIEL KEIR

COACH: ADAM KYLE & DAVID SMALL

Manly

1. LUKE POLSELLI
2. CALEB CARTER
3. JOHN HOPOATE
4. PIERS LORIGAN
5. NATHAN WILLIAMS
6. COREY HIGGINBOTHAM
7. CADE CUST
8. BRYDON RAMIEN
9. SAM VERRILLS
10. JACK ONGOSIA
11. KANE MCQUIGGAN
12. JACKSON TOWNSHEND
13. NICK FERRIS
14. TOM VAN BOKHAVEN
15. MASON BINGE
16. INOKE FAKAI
18. KYE PICKERING
19. CHARLIE ANDERSON
20. CAMERON MATTHEWS
21. TYLER HAYES
22. JASON TUPOU
23. NICHOLAS BILSBOROUGH
24. JOSH FOSTER
25. FINN HEATH

COACH: GLENN MOORE

Centurions

1. BLAKE STORM
2. JOHN CARROLL
3. ADAM MCGREGOR
4. BRANDON THOMPSON
5. JAKE SANDERS
6. JAYDEN JONES
7. KYE HOPWOOD
8. MAT SHEPHERD
9. BEN MORRIS
10. MATT FISK
11. HADDEN FAY
12. BILLY WATKINS
13. DANNY DYE
14. SANDEN HAYES
15. JOEL MULA
16. ALEX KELLEHER
17. WILLIAM GRASSBY
18. COOPER BOSDEN
19. KEANU MILLAR
20. JACK RAWLING
21. SAM MCCLELLAND
22. MICHAEL MORROW

COACH: STEPHEN BURNS

Cronulla Sharks

1. AMO LAULAU
2. RUSIATE ISAAC LUMELUME
3. JACKSON WATSON
4. DYLAN XERRI
5. LUKE CHIVERS
6. LUKE JURD
7. KYLE FLANAGAN
8. REECE BURNS
9. BLAYKE BRAILEY
10. FINE KULA
11. LACHLAN MCGLIP
12. FRANK TUMATAI
13. DANIEL DE VECHHIS
14. TROY WHITTAKER
15. HIRA RAHRAHA
16. JORDAN MORRIS
17. RHYS ROBSON
18. WILL MATTHEWS
19. JAEMON SALMON
20. TALLIN MCILLORY
21. PITA TOAMOTU
22. TOM SQUIRES
23. JACK DILLON
24. DEAN TATSIS
25. RYAN LONGVILLE

COACH: DARREN CAPOVILLA

WSAS

1. DALLAS PETERSON
2. KYTAK CHAN
3. MARLON RITCHIE
4. JUNIOR MOAGA
5. HAZE DUNSTER
6. MANASE FAINU
15. BRENDAN HANDS
8. PAEPAEGA AIONO
9. PJ TEVAGA
10. HENRY NAFOI
11. JOHN TUIVAITI
12. NICHOLAS OKLADNIKOV
13. DAVID YARULLIN
14. AYDEN CARLING
15. BRENDAN HANDS
16. NATHAN KAILAHI
17. EDWARD CARTER
18. ROCKY TOGATUKI
19. MATTHEW HOUSEBY-HENDRIKS
20. ISAIA TONE
22. DEAN BLORE
23. EMAD JLEW
24. JAYDN FIELD

COACH: DAVID MACKINNON

Tigers

1. RYAN PAPENHUYZEN
2. ZAC RYAN
3. ANGELO PANAMBALANA
4. TYRELL MAUI
5. ABDALLA MATAR
6. NICHOLAS WILKINSON
7. ADAM RIZK
8. RICHARD AMONE
9. MITCHELL HYDE
10. HARRISON LEONARD
11. JUSTIN FRAIN
12. MOSES SULI
13. LACHLAN ATTWOOD (C)
14. ADAM DOUEIHI
15. SPIKE TEIO
16. WILL LAWSON
17. PATRICK ABOUHARB
18. ZAC ALLEN
19. KOBE THORSON
20. EDDIE ABRAHAM
21. BRADLEY BOOBY
22. JOHN PAUL HANNAWE
23. LUKE HODGE

COACH: MICHAEL FRAIN

Bulldogs

1. ALVIN MAUNGATTI
2. DION SOLESE
3. BILAL MAARBANI
4. AMAZIAH SLAVIN
5. SOSAIA TALIVAKAOLA
6. DANIEL PARKER
7. WILL KERR ©
8. GIORDAN PATEA
9. SCOTT HANNIGAN
10. CAMERON SGOUROS
11. MCKAY POSETTA
12. TENIKO TUNUPOPO
13. GEORGE FRANCIS
14. JOHN PAUL NAKAD
16. AUSTYN PERA
19. RHYS DONOVAN
20. FATU TOGAGAE FAANU
21. ABRAHAM GHANEM

COACH: FRANK TRIPODINA

Roosters

1. CAINE MATTHEWS-WOOD
2. ALEX SPOONER
3. EDEN ROGERS-SMITH
4. MOSE FELIO
5. JAYA YOANNIDES
6. LACHLAN LAM
7. STEPHEN BLAIR
8. JAIDEN IOANE
9. TYZAC BAILEY
10. SHANE TOMOKINO
11. GIOVANNI LEOTA
12. BRANDON TAVAE
13. VICTOR RADLEY
14. JAI MCGRATH
15. CHARLES TAUFA
16. CALLAN TURNER
17. KELL O'BRIEN
18. JASE EDWARDS
19. ELIJAH NAKISILLA
20. DEAN KELLY
21. JUSTIN LANE
22. KEANU ROGERS-SMITH
23. TOM FULLE
24. JACKSON MOHI

COACH: CHRIS MCCONNELL

Steelers

1. CODY WHITE
2. BRODIE NIELSEN
3. SAM PRICE
4. JASON GILLARD
5. TRISTAN SAILOR
6. DYLAN MORRIS
7. CALLUM WALDOCK
8. DONTE DRUMMOND
9. ALEX BOLES
10. JUVILEE SAMIU
11. RILEY MILLS
12. JONATHAN GRIFFITHS
13. JACK CROSS (C)
15. JAMES JAGOT
16. BLAKE JEFFERY
17. MITCHELL KLEIN
19. BLAKE HUNT
20. JACK GORDON

COACH: RYAN POWELL

Parra

1. OFISEA SEAUFALE
2. ELIE EL-ZAKHEM
3. TUIMAVAVE AFUALO
4. TAULIA ULAE
5. ROBERT AFU
6. JOSHUA CARR
7. JOEL BRADFORD
8. SAMUEL LILOMAIAVA
9. ADAM CAMPBELL
10. ANDREW MAUAVA
11. JOSH SULI-RUKA
12. VINNIE TIKERI
13. DYLAN CLIFFORD
14. MICHAEL TUPOU
15. PELE VAIGALU
16. MATTHEW VIDAL
17. SEAN KEPPIE
18. KYLE CASSEL
19. SHANNON GARDINER
20. ALEX SEVE
21. JOHN FONUA
22. WILLIAM PAPALIITELE
23. JOSHUA CURRAN
24. TEVITA MAHE
25. STEFANO IKAMUI

COACH: BARRIE JONES

Bears

1. BARTON PICONE
2. ARISENTO BOU-SLEIMAN
3. RYAN ZECCHIN
4. CAMERON CLARK
5. TYRELL NEIUFI
6. JAYDEN LONERGAN
7. TOBY WESTCOTT
8. SPUTZ MULIPOLA
9. BRENDAN STARR
10. JAYDEN TARRANT
11. ISAAC LEVAVE ©
12. CAMERON YEATES
13. HANA MCCAUSLAND
14. BRANDON ROBERTSON
15. LACHLAN WILLIAMS
16. BRYSON HUNWICK
17. MITCHELL COSTA
18. GEORGE KARPATHIOS
19. TAMATI MCCAUSLAND
20. MATHEW MESANN
21. JAKE STORY
22. JOSH SOLINAS
23. RAVEN AMIATU
24. CHARLES SHEPHERD
25. KEELEY BOWEN

COACH: ZAF MASLO

Melbourne

1. TIUI MISI
2. AUSTIN BERNARD
3. ANDREW TELEA
4. JOSH PAAKA
5. KEES FONG
6. CALLUM COOK
7. JAI TAEPA
8. CHRISTIAN SURACI
9. DYLAN VEATEWHARE
10. LELE AFAMASAGA
11. TIMOTHY MERRITT
12. MYKELTI LEFAU
13. NICHOLAS FLOCAS
14. BOWEN TUGAFUA
15. JARED FAALE
16. ROMIA ROI
17. DEREK MAOTA
18. JAMARL FIREBRACE

COACH: GARY WHICKER

girvie

Staff member
Harold Matthews Preview - Round 1
NSWRL Media
14/02/2014 11:00:00 AM

The quest for a 2014 Harold Matthews Cup premiership begins in earnest across New South Wales as teams head into round one after months of pre-season training and trials.

Once again the NSWRL will be selecting fixtures to cover through our LIVE Match Centre and ,for round one, the NSWRL media team will be heading to Remondis Stadium for the shire derby between the Cronulla Sharks and St George Dragons.

The Sharks have produced some outstanding performances in the junior grades in recent years and there are high hopes for their Harold Matthews team, which will be lead by halfback Kyle Flanagan.

Flanagan, along with hooker Blayke Brailey, got a taste of Harold Matthews’ football last year and will need to mentor some of the new players against what is predicted to be a typically tough St George outfit.

Greame Wynn’s team looks solid again with plenty of size up front and speed to burn out wide. The Dragons will be lead well by captain Joe Lovodua who returns for his second year in Dragons colours with hooker Treymaine Brown also heading into his second year as a starting hooker.

For full coverage of this match on Saturday you can head to the NSWRL LIVE Match Centre from 10am

Kicking-off at the same time at Brookvale Oval is a matchup between last year’s runners-up, the South Sydney Rabbitohs, and Manly.

A familiar name pops up when scanning the Sea Eagles’ team sheet as another Hopoate continues his journey into representative football with John Hopoate Jr selected in the centres for Glenn Moore’s team. The Eagles have plenty of grunt up forward and will be lead by NSW Indigenous Under 16s front-rower Brydon Ramien and Jack Ongosia.

The Bunnies look to have gone through a rebuilding phase with impressive players like Nat Butcher, Jaiden Brown and Reimis Smith all graduating to SG Ball this year. Incoming halves combination Rangi Boyce and Kurtis Preece will carry the hopes of the South Sydney faithful on their shoulders this season.

In what looks to be the match of the round, two western Sydney powerhouses do battle at New Era Stadium in Cabramatta when the Eels host the Panthers.
Whether this match could decide the minor-premiership in round one remains to be seen but it wouldn’t surprise us here at the NSWRL if we look back at this match with some interest come round nine and finals time.

Parramatta has retained the services of Grand Final and national championship back-rower Vinnie Tikeri who plays his second year in the Harold Matthews side. His back-row partner Josh Suli-Ruka also experienced the joys of the Eels’ season last year but was used off the bench throughout the season.

Penrith are perennial favourites and we can’t see a reason not to view them that way this year. Their captain, Jake Gillett-Gow, played last year at the Western Sydney Academy and will be battle hardened after his standout performance for the NSW Indigenous Under 16s last Saturday in Newcastle.

It is hard to fault the Panthers. With Ben Cartwright joining Gillett-Gow upfront and finishers like Berkut Tastan, Jesse Abbot and Levi Petersen in the backline, you can certainly see why many people like the looks of the men from the foot of the mountains.

In other matches, last year’s surprise packets, the Central Coast Centurions welcome the Illawarra Steelers to Morry Breen Oval while the Melbourne Storm begin their second year in the competition with a match against the Sydney Roosters at Casey Fields.

At TG Milner, two foundation clubs in Balmain and North Sydney will be looking to start the season off with a bang when they square off at 12pm.

Our attention then turns to the battle of the academies at St Marys Stadium when the Western Sydney Academy and South Western Sydney kick-off their seasons.

The afternoon matches begin with two sides heavily favoured to feature in finals football at Belmore Sports Ground when the Bulldogs host Canberra. Round one concludes up in the beautiful Hunter Valley when Western Suburbs travel up the M1 to play the Newcastle Knights at Cessnock Sports Ground.

Once again the NSWRL Twitter account @NSWRL will be providing halftime and fulltime match results and you can follow the account by clicking here.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.asp...90376&title=harold-matthews-preview---round-1

Latest posts