What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

meek

Juniors
When ive seen Nabuli play for the wolves
I think he has major issues with reading where to be in defence
Great in attack - but would be a major liability in defence unless that part of his game improves considerably
IMOP

PinkPanther

Juniors
How good is it to be able to debate the merits of 2 quality players fighting for one spot. So much better than previous years debating whether or not a traffic cone would provide more impact than some of the numptys we had.
It feels pretty good knowing that you have a selection of good players to pick from.

Do you not remember his form this season before injury? He was one of our best players and was consistently the only back looking like he was actually putting in. The team was in terrible form, but he was still playing well:

Round 1 - 19 runs, 173m gained, 8 tackle breaks, 3 offloads, 1 linebreak assist, 10 tackles, 3 missed
Round 2 - 15 runs, 132m gained, 4 tackle breaks, 3 offloads, 12 tackles / 2 missed
Round 3 - 10 runs, 84m gained, 1 tackle break, 3 offloads, 7 tackles / 1 missed
Round 4 - 20 runs, 247m gained, 8 tackle breaks, 4 offloads, 6 tackles / 3 missed
Round 5 - 15 runs, 166m gained, 7 tackle breaks, 4 offloads, 1 line breaks, 9 tackles / 2 missed
Round 6 - 16 runs, 113m gained, 8 tackles

Round 6 is the game he was injured in. But up until the moment of his injury he was averaging:
15.8 runs for 152.5m gained
4.66 tackle breaks
2.83 offloads
8.66 tackles
1.833 missed tackles

Yep.

For as well as simmons is going , he just isnt capable of these sorts of numbers.

It's great to debate the merits of this position , but a fully fit Mansour beats out simmons every time.

People are forgetting the important work a winger needs to do bringing the ball out from your own line. Especially from a kick return. Forwards cant get back in time , so if you have a player like mansour that can make easy meters out of your own half its invaluable.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah but Simmons is ave 110m a game. Gained 209m against Melb. Is in the top 5 in the comp for tries scored & linebreaks. So doing a more complete wingers job. He and Whare will be the right centre & winger to start the year. Leaving Mansour & Naiqama fighting out the left.

Yeah but Simmons is ave 110m a game. Gained 209m against Melb. Is in the top 5 in the comp for tries scored & linebreaks. So doing a more complete wingers job. He and Whare will be the right centre & winger to start the year. Leaving Mansour & Naiqama fighting out the left.

Other than tries he isnt beating mansour at tackle breaks , offloads & meters gained. ( on average)

I dont see how that makes him more complete.

IMO the choice is clear , Simmons on one wing and Mansour on the other.

It will be up to the new player to force his way into the team.

Last edited:

Abacus

Juniors
Except we are foreshadowing the team for next year , not picking the team for next week.

And you're only as good as you're last match. Based on 2013 form to date, Simmons is ahead of Mansour. If Mansour gets back to FG in 2013 and regains his best form, then it's a contest between the 2. Similarly if Simmons' form goes to shit by the end of the season, he'll deserve to be dropped & likely not start 2014.

And you're only as good as you're last match. Based on 2013 form to date, Simmons is ahead of Mansour. If Mansour gets back to FG in 2013 and regains his best form, then it's a contest between the 2. Similarly if Simmons' form goes to shit by the end of the season, he'll deserve to be dropped & likely not start 2014.

If mansour is playing his best , its not even close to being a contest.

And as already proven by cold hard facts , mansour was very good in a poor team at the start of this year.

In selecting a potential team for 2014 from this far out , clearly people are looking to best possible form.

Mansour would be in everyone's team if he hadn't had a bad injury run.

Puntastic

Juniors
Mansour has the potential to be an overall more damaging winger than Simmons. His offloads, tackle breaks, meters gained and brute strength make him a dangerous asset. His strengths in our own half are equally as important as Simmons in the oppositions half. I think it would be silly to rule any of our options out so soon. It will be useful to have all three in the team before making an ultimate choice.

maple_69

Bench
Mansour has played about 20-25 games and has been very good in 80% of them. The rest he has been ordinary.
Simmons has played something like 70 games for us in the past 4 years and has been very good in maybe 30%. The rest he has been average.

Since we're so far out I'd have to go with Mansour to be more likely to offer more. Surely, once he's back, Tighe will go, Roberts moves in and we'll get a few months to look at Mansour and Simmons in the same team.

That might be the way it goes but using last weeks big league as a guide Simmons is 2nd in tries & line breaks. Also 4th on linebreak assists is Whare. So can't see them being broken up.

Yes , its important to remember they are totals , not averages. Is. Mansour has had injuries.

I'm not suggesting breaking them up anyway. Both should play.

But if one had to go it should be Simmons.

Scotty03

Juniors
If mansour is playing his best , its not even close to being a contest.

And as already proven by cold hard facts , mansour was very good in a poor team at the start of this year.

In selecting a potential team for 2014 from this far out , clearly people are looking to best possible form.

Mansour would be in everyone's team if he hadn't had a bad injury run.

The problem is, Mansour isn't playing his best and to be honest his avg games are well below NRL standard.
Blame it on injury, attitude or skill - he's not performing. Simple.
Until he does, he'll continue to play for Windsor.

What is it with you and this kid? Got a man crush on him or something?

He makes more mistakes than any other player in our backline, can not catch a high ball, and continues to be caught up in defense by rushing up.

Why would he deserve a wing spot with those flaws? Because he runs hard and makes offloads? Wow.

Scotty03

Juniors
Yes , its important to remember they are totals , not averages. Is. Mansour has had injuries.

I'm not suggesting breaking them up anyway. Both should play.

But if one had to go it should be Simmons.

Simmons - our most consistent player all year? Oh him...yeah makes sense.

Most line breaks, tries. Least errors and safe under the high ball. Yeah i can see why you'd want to drop him.

He gets in the clear and can actually finish off a try. Good role model for kids. Don't know why I ever doubted your thinking.

You deadset have rocks in your head.

franklin2323

Immortal
Don't get me wrong a month of bad form or an injury. Chances are won't see Simmons again given the talent we have on the wings. Though until then our right side is settled the left is still a work in progress.

Scotty03

Juniors
Like i said in other posts...i do think Mansour has strong qualities, but in order for him to beat all our other options for a wing spot he needs to improve in the areas mentioned.

It's not a Mansour bashing thing, it's a PICK THE BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER thing.

mxlegend99

Referee
The problem is, Mansour isn't playing his best and to be honest his avg games are well below NRL standard.
Blame it on injury, attitude or skill - he's not performing. Simple.
Until he does, he'll continue to play for Windsor.

What is it with you and this kid? Got a man crush on him or something?

He makes more mistakes than any other player in our backline, can not catch a high ball, and continues to be caught up in defense by rushing up.

Why would he deserve a wing spot with those flaws? Because he runs hard and makes offloads? Wow.
Since his injury he hasn't played a full game on the wing. Pretty hard for him to get back to his pre-injury form when he hasn't been given time in his position to do so.

Simmons - our most consistent player all year? Oh him...yeah makes sense.

Most line breaks, tries. Least errors and safe under the high ball. Yeah i can see why you'd want to drop him.

He gets in the clear and can actually finish off a try. Good role model for kids. Don't know why I ever doubted your thinking.

You deadset have rocks in your head.
In the first 6 weeks he wasn't even close to Josh Mansour. In the next 6 games or so he wasn't even on the field for it to be a fair comparison. :lol:

Also David Simmons has been in the clear MANY times and not scored a try because he is not all that quick. I'd say atleast half of the time he makes a break he is chased down pretty quickly and easily. The other half it's usually against the run of play or against equally slow wingers.

There wouldn't be much between Mansour and Simmons as far as pace goes.Not like Travis Robinson or James Roberts who could give both those players a 20m head start and still chase them down comfortably.

franklin2323

Immortal
Like i said in other posts...i do think Mansour has strong qualities, but in order for him to beat all our other options for a wing spot he needs to improve in the areas mentioned.

It's not a Mansour bashing thing, it's a PICK THE BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER thing.

Yep. I like Mansour. Love the way he plays but I love a winning team more.

Latest posts