What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

franklin2323

Immortal
Like i said in other posts...i do think Mansour has strong qualities, but in order for him to beat all our other options for a wing spot he needs to improve in the areas mentioned.

It's not a Mansour bashing thing, it's a PICK THE BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER thing.

Yep. I like Mansour. Love the way he plays but I love a winning team more.

betcats

Referee
I think its too early to call who will be on the wing. I can see possibly both of them out of the team by the end of next year. Depends on how guys like Naiqama, Roberts, Jennings, Moss and maybe even DWZ are travelling.

Going on current form though I would be playing Simmons all day.

I have a feeling Mansour won't finish next season at Penrith, seems to be the odd man out.

The problem is, Mansour isn't playing his best and to be honest his avg games are well below NRL standard.
Blame it on injury, attitude or skill - he's not performing. Simple.
Until he does, he'll continue to play for Windsor.

What is it with you and this kid? Got a man crush on him or something?

He makes more mistakes than any other player in our backline, can not catch a high ball, and continues to be caught up in defense by rushing up.

Why would he deserve a wing spot with those flaws? Because he runs hard and makes offloads? Wow.

Thats just wrong.

MX already posted his figures this year. They've been very good.

I dont have any particular bias for mansour , other than thinking he's the better player. This is a fan forum FFS , opinions will be expressed.

And he doesnt deserve a wing spot because he runs hard. He deserves the spot because he makes meters.

The whole point of RL is forward movement.

Players that can propel the ball further forward than others are more valuable. Its been that way since day dot.

Simmons - our most consistent player all year? Oh him...yeah makes sense.

Most line breaks, tries. Least errors and safe under the high ball. Yeah i can see why you'd want to drop him.

He gets in the clear and can actually finish off a try. Good role model for kids. Don't know why I ever doubted your thinking.

You deadset have rocks in your head.

Mansour was the best player in the first six rounds before injury.

Clearly better than simmons when he was playing in the same team.

Scotty03

Juniors
Thats just wrong.

MX already posted his figures this year. They've been very good.

I dont have any particular bias for mansour , other than thinking he's the better player. This is a fan forum FFS , opinions will be expressed.

And he doesnt deserve a wing spot because he runs hard. He deserves the spot because he makes meters.

The whole point of RL is forward movement.

Players that can propel the ball further forward than others are more valuable. Its been that way since day dot.

I hear your point.

I guess it's just a difference in opinions, I just think when Mansour has a bad game he can really hurt us on the scoreboard.

I truly hope he lives up to his potential and kills it for us. But with the way Simmo has been playing, and the fact we have K Naiqama coming next year just not sure I see him starting unless Simmo doesn't back up and perform like he did this year.

Kilkenny

Coach
At the end of the day there is one person who is best qualified to judge who best to accommodate our best 17 on game day. Ivan Clearly. We can all have our opinions, rant and rave on fan forums, but he is a quality coach and you have to back him in term's of team selections.

I hear your point.

I guess it's just a difference in opinions, I just think when Mansour has a bad game he can really hurt us on the scoreboard.

I truly hope he lives up to his potential and kills it for us. But with the way Simmo has been playing, and the fact we have K Naiqama coming next year just not sure I see him starting unless Simmo doesn't back up and perform like he did this year.

Naiqama coming will be great for everyone.

Mansour will be in a contract year , so he'll be playing to prove a point which is great for the team.

Simmons will be playing to keep the yoiunger wingers at bay.

Competition for spots will help them all.

Puntastic

Juniors
Naiqama coming will be great for everyone.

Mansour will be in a contract year , so he'll be playing to prove a point which is great for the team.

Simmons will be playing to keep the yoiunger wingers at bay.

Competition for spots will help them all.

This.

Just this.

Puntastic

Juniors
With the resigning of Kingston, it raises a few questions about the team next year and also the captaincy - Kingston has shown he has the right attitude, but putting the captaincy on the shoulders of the guy we wanted gone seems a bit off. I expect that Kingston is probably considered a first grade choice for 2014 after the resigning, and I expect that we'll see him as captain again too.

I think the best side looks like:

1. Moylan 2. Naiqama 3. Roberts 4. Whare 5. Simmons 6. John 7. Soward
8. Grant 9. Kingston 10. McKendry 11. Manu 12. Brown 13. Taylor
14. Segs 15. Peachy 16. Kite 17. Plum 18. Docker

I would have thought Kingston gone would be the best side, but with Kingston around this is probably what we'll get. Only shame is that a few juniors may not fit in, but it is what it is.

So what do we think?

pantherdrew

Juniors
The team could go any number of ways and there will be plenty of competition for spots next year but i would really like to see this team given a go. Atleast in the trials anyway.

1. Moss- Has something we have lacked since Wesser left and thats pure speed. He is seriously quick. He is a try scoring freak(only have to look at his try to game ratio in the 20's). His support play is awesome and he can very much sniff out where to be at the right time, alas Nathan Merritt. He is just as safe as moylan and possess's the same ball playing skills.

2. Simmons- Safe, reliable, great defender who knows when to come in, great finisher and helps out with plenty of carries.

3. Whare

4. Roberts- Speed machine. He will need to bulk up, probably 4-6kgs and spend the off season working on his defence. But he could be devastating.

5. K. Naquiama- Speed machine. Spend the off season with simmo teaching him how to defend as a winger. His attack will take care of itself.

6. Austin- (Firstly let me just say I know we have plenty of options here which is good. Coote, moylan, John will all be around the team) I would really like to see Blake get first crack. Imo he is our john sutton, Trent barret, Fittler or Terry Campese. He isnt as big as many people think. Yes he will bulk up more as he ages but he will never be a huge backrower. He has a good kicking and passing game but his strength like Sutton is his running game. Against the Vulcans in NZ this year he scored a try that really grabbed me. 12m out he gets it at 1st receiver dummies and fended of one then over powered 2 of the Vulcans BIG boys to get over and score. His playmaking skills create that indecision in the defenses mind and you would back him 99% of the time 1 on 1.

7. Soward- I think he will be our Adam reynolds. Great Kicking game, quick, great passing game and a fierce competitor. I think Him and Blake together would be a perfect combo and that they would complement each others styles and strengths. Soward and either Coote, John or moylan are to alike.

8. Sammy

9. Segayaro

10. Timmy- Give hime the captaincy, hopefully it fires him up.

11. Brown

12. Manu- To move to front row throughout game.

13. Taylor- He will be great for us, he is all class. 80min player.

Bench- (could go a number of ways but id go)

14. Peachey- To play the role segayaro is playing this year, he is strong for his size is quick and skillful

15. Plum- to play prop

16. Cartwright- future superstar as we all know.

17. Cherrington- Really deserves a crack. Has been a standout all year for the wolves. Great offload, good speed, strong and a good defender. He could be a very damaging benchie.

Players such as Docker, Coote, Moylan, John, Nabuli, Mansour, Kite, VTK, Latimore, Kingston, Tighe as well as the others to push for a fg spot as well.

DWZ is the smokey imo. He will be training with the full time squad and I dare say it wont be long till we see this kid in fg. He is that good you just cant hold him back. Look at RTS for the roosters. Debuting at 18 hasnt hurt him. DWZ is the most exciting prospect i can remember coming through the grades in a long long time. He could be anything.

Exciting times ahead anyway.

Kite will be in the team imo. I'd start him then Sam comes on for impact but ends up playing more minutes.

Maybe Moylan at 6 if Moss gets ahead of him at fullback?

Last edited:

pantherdrew

Juniors
I think Kite is average at best but that is just my opinion. I personally would of loved to see us keep Mose as I think he has the potential to be the most damaging runner in the game. He has shown plenty of glimpses of what he is capable of this year. Unstoppable when on song.
I've watched Kite closely this year since the signing and I just don't think he offers much, no real impact. Definitley a couple years past his best anyway. Just my opinion.

I would be open to trying moylan at 6. However I think he would be very similar to soward.
I think 7.soward 6. Austin really would compliment each other. Just like Reynolds and Sutton.

The trials will play a big part in who gets first crack.

Last edited:

pantherdrew

Juniors
I really like moylan and was a supporter that definitely thought he deserved a go. He has grabbed his chance with both hands and is no doubt a good player who will get better.
He is just like Coote though as a fullback. Solid, safe, good playmaking and finishing skills. But he's not a game breaker and he's not overly quick. Maybe he could be a 6. He's going great ATM anyway so good on him.

Latest posts