What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

pantherdrew

Juniors
I also think he will be picked. It was just the side i would love to see.

In regards to Kite's experience, there is no doubt he would be a great role model but i think we already have one.

Timmy is a rep footballer. Petro would've of taught him alot and been a great mentor. His a future captain and is a Penrith boy through and through. Couldn't think of a better role model.

Thoughts on Tim as captain and not being an 80 minute player? He's also been giving away some rubbish penalties.

PinkPanther

Juniors
I think that Timmy still has a few things to learn before being captain, but in saying that, I think in a couple years time he will be the captain.

Kilkenny

Coach
Nothing against Isaac John he has done a reasonable job for us given our horrific injury toll in 2013 but he is borderline NRL standard and we need a better number 6 if we are to improve in 2014. Coote is the obvious if he is still with the Panthers, Moylan could be tried in the role as could Tyronne Peachey. Maybe Blake Austin could be given another opportunity if he is retained, has a solid offseason and get himself 100% fit. He is perhaps the most talented and natural 5/8 at the club but still yet to prove himself. The half to slot in alongside Soward is potentially a real weakness for us. Should have kept Walsh. The Walsh - Soward combination may have been our best option for at least one season.

Nothing against Isaac John he has done a reasonable job for us given our horrific injury toll in 2013 but he is borderline NRL standard and we need a better number 6 if we are to improve in 2014. Coote is the obvious if he is still with the Panthers, Moylan could be tried in the role as could Tyronne Peachey. Maybe Blake Austin could be given another opportunity if he is retained, has a solid offseason and get himself 100% fit. He is perhaps the most talented and natural 5/8 at the club but still yet to prove himself. The half to slot in alongside Soward is potentially a real weakness for us. Should have kept Walsh. The Walsh - Soward combination may have been our best option for at least one season.

Don't agree with keeping Walsh.

When you have a guy being brought in to run the team , pairing him with the guy that's had that role for the past few years could create trouble.

Walsh would have to totally change his game.

I doubt he's good enough to do that quickly , if at all.

The more I see of moylan , the more I'm convinced his future is in the halves.

The hands and time he has is great.

Perfect 5/8 material.

How quickly he moves there will all depend on circumstances.

franklin2323

Immortal
Thoughts on Tim as captain and not being an 80 minute player? He's also been giving away some rubbish penalties.

Thaiday does it. I think co captain with Brown or Soward.

Coote and Soward would have issues together in the halves. Both left foot kickers both small in defence. though seem the best option so pre-season will let us know.

Kite's issue seems to be when he gets tired. Start and have 2 15min spells is the key.

Pomoz

Bench
I also think he will be picked. It was just the side i would love to see.

In regards to Kite's experience, there is no doubt he would be a great role model but i think we already have one.

Timmy is a rep footballer. Petro would've of taught him alot and been a great mentor. His a future captain and is a Penrith boy through and through. Couldn't think of a better role model.
I'm going to be controversial here and say I don't think Petereo was a great role model. During his time at the Panthers we had a better team than we have now (on paper we had four or five rep players) and were not successful. There were constant rumours of tension between the players and the board and Petereo was vocal in criticising the board and saying "the players should be involved in selecting the coach". Then there is the Luke Lewis incident. Petereo strikes me as an old union shop steward, its all "us" or "them" without understanding the impact on the team as a whole. He doesn't realise that the team includes the administration as well as the players. The best example of this is the West Tigers. If the back office is not pulling its weight, the team implodes, Players leave.

He may have set a good example as a player in terms of being professional, not drinking , training hard (although it had zero impact on Jennings), but his behaviour as a leader was very poor and was shown by the the results and behaviour of the players when he was there. The poor culture that Cleary was trying to change came from somewhere and Petereo had more than enough time to have a positive impact. Just my view.

Pomoz

Bench
The thing is, being captain is also about what you do off the field. In fact, the impact is probably greater off the field than it is on the field. We don't want another trouble maker like Petereo as captain. The captain needs to be mature, capable of working with the management team, interacting with sponsors and representing the club in an official capacity. Is Tim that person? He just seems a bit immature at times. The coach will know who the players will look up to and will follow, that will give a true indication of who the natural leader is.

betcats

Referee
Jaime Soward as captain, Nooo wayy. Lewis Brown I dont mind with Timmy G, or Maybe Sika and someone.

franklin2323

Immortal
Jaime Soward as captain, Nooo wayy. Lewis Brown I dont mind with Timmy G, or Maybe Sika and someone.

You would have them as club captains doing the pressers and stuff. On field though you need someone on for the 80 and with involvement. That's Soward he has a cool head in close games. Also might help his confidence so we see him at his best

Pomoz

Bench
You walk in the room and watch who the players gather round. Who would have picked Kevvie as the captain? Who is the player the youngsters go to for advice? When the chips are down, who steps forward to take the strain? Only the coach and the players know who the leaders are.

The best player in the team may not be a good leader. We don't want someone like Gallen going on national TV and talking about punching players (what an idiot, cue sponsors leaving out the back door). Equally, not every player copes with the added pressure of captaincy. I like the idea of a leadership group of three or four players and they take turns as co captain. It works at the Swans and they have built a fabulous culture there.

I think we can count on Ivan not doing the obvious, thats for sure.

ACTPanthers

Bench
You would have them as club captains doing the pressers and stuff. On field though you need someone on for the 80 and with involvement. That's Soward he has a cool head in close games. Also might help his confidence so we see him at his best

Soward has too much trouble containing his emotions on the field to be a viable captain option. He is NOT captain material

franklin2323

Immortal
Soward has too much trouble containing his emotions on the field to be a viable captain option. He is NOT captain material

I like Brown or Grant as a captain off field anyway like Mannah does. The question is are they involved enough to be on field captain? Luckily we have plenty of options and time to work it out

betcats

Referee

Jaime just doesnt strike me as captain material. If his confidence is up then I think he could do the role well but when he is down hmm I dunno, can be a bit of a sook. Anyway like you said we have plenty of time.

Puntastic

Juniors
My potentially controversial opinion:

One thing I have noticed is that Kingston is very 'polite' (to put it nicely) when it comes to communicating with the referees, to the extent where I have questioned whether or not he is being heard or, dare I say it, even as respected as 'superstar' captains are.

Even when it comes to talking to the referees just to buy your team mates a breather, guys like Thurston and Smith are experts in comparison, and I suspect a lot of that comes down to respect for certain players. Question the tactic, but for mine it seems to be an unfortunate yet necessary part of the game. Of course, a good captain knows how to get the referees onside when it comes to infringements.

I still think Petero's treatment as captain for us was disgusting and disrespectful (and don't get me started on the penalties levelled at him) and nothing like his time in Brisbane; but I understand the merit of having a seasoned veteran in that role - someone who can work the referees with the best of them. Whilst my side would have Kite off the bench, I would like to see him amongst the captaincy group if he can offer our boys a voice and isn't silenced like Petero was. Just something I've been thinking about.

I suspect we'll see Kingston as captain again (though it seems to show a lack of confidence in doing so) with Kite vice captain. My personal choice would be Grant and Kite/Brown, with Taylor earmarked for the future.

Kilkenny

Coach
Kingston in my opinion has been very good again this season and done a terrific job not only as captain but in general play. You cannot underrate his overall work rate and tackle count. I still think Segeyaro offers more coming off the bench than he does starting. With a stronger bench in Kite, Plum and say Cherrington it gives us the opportunity of rotating Kingston & Segeyaro during the 80 minutes as opposed to having both on the field at the same time. Assuming Kingston is in the starting lineup in 2014 then he surely has to be the captain.

Puntastic

Juniors
Something nobody seems to be putting as much emphasis on for 2014 are our halves.

I was never confident Isaac John was a genuine first grader. He is capable but lacks consistency and of late seems to lack spark. It would be nice to have a playmaker who can create from behind rather than one who only plays well when the rest of the team switches into gear.

John could very well end up being our 5/8 - he has that potential and has been my first choice for 2014 so far. But people who were heralding him as a star after his first few rounds were putting too much faith in one player (and a half at that - you'd think Penrith fans would know better).

We certainly need to keep our options open. 1. Mansour 6. Moylan 7. Soward Is a very real possibility and one I am glad to have at the moment. We definitely need to wait on John a while longer before making a judgement call.

Latest posts