What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
NRL games don't need to be played at ovals or cricket grounds, I think the novelty factor has worn off the SCG

Its the same problem that the historic suburban grounds have; it doesnt matter that something significant happened on this patch 40 years ago, if the facilities arent up to scratch people wont come...

The SCG is a nice bit of RL history, but it should not be used for a regular season game.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Its the same problem that the historic suburban grounds have; it doesnt matter that something significant happened on this patch 40 years ago, if the facilities arent up to scratch people wont come...

The SCG is a nice bit of RL history, but it should not be used for a regular season game.

It doesnt matter anymore there is no winning with rugby league "fans". Useless lazy bunch of fair weather sofites. (Except those that do turn up week in week out)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"rugby league fans" aren't the problem. They're the ones going every week, the ones parting with their hard-earned.

The problem is attracting and retaining the casual observers, who, when given another option (TV in front of a warm fire, inside drinks at a pub, family night in etc) will take the other option because the comfort, entertainment and facilities simply aren't there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fan engagement plays a massive part. If you feel a part of the club, that they're your team and that you care if they win or lose you are far more likely to make the effort to go to the game.

Then it becomes about making it a great value time out for the family or your group of friends.

We're in a catch 22 at moment, going to games with few people there does not make it feel like an event, it costs too much, the whole event is just about the game so the winning and losing become if it was worth gong and add in most games are at night or in crappy stadiums and you have a great recipe for the malaise in attendance we have now.

I remember the EPL being in a similiar position in the 80's and they had to totally transform the top division and expectations on clubs. Now it's one of the biggest comps in the world. In that time they've taken they're crowd avg from 20k to 36k. Likewise afl through strong expansion and better game day experience have gone from 20k in 1989 to a peak of 36k in space of 20 years.

Last edited:

Gina Minehart

Juniors
I'm telling you guys, disposable income is an issue. The economy is going a lot more sour than the media will have you know. People can't afford it, especially league fans

Secondly, the product is boring. Sorry, but watch a game today vs 10yrs ago and it sucks on average. Too many cynical strategies and crap rules. It sucks and the public know it

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder how much of the lack of ball play is due to most games being on a night? Wet cold conditions don't lend themselves to great open fast play.

Having said that, aside from all the video stoppages, the game on the field is pretty good with plenty of great tries scored.

Do agree about cost though. Charging $30 to sit behind sticks and $56 to get a decent seat is ridiculous. Throw in food and parking and suddenly going to the footy becomes a rare treat rather than a weekly event.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Yeah money is the main issue.

Today is the cheapest Broncos game because of the two adults and two kids $50 offer - which boots you up to the top tier behind the post. Usually cat white for two adults and two children is $120.

If you want sideline seats - two adults and two children = $174 for maroon or $246 for gold.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
"rugby league fans" aren't the problem. They're the ones going every week, the ones parting with their hard-earned.

The problem is attracting and retaining the casual observers, who, when given another option (TV in front of a warm fire, inside drinks at a pub, family night in etc) will take the other option because the comfort, entertainment and facilities simply aren't there.

Timmah everyone i know would.consider thenselves a hardened fan of their team, yet would only attend 1 or 2 games a year for one reason or another

cleary89

Coach
I'm telling you guys, disposable income is an issue. The economy is going a lot more sour than the media will have you know. People can't afford it, especially league fans

Secondly, the product is boring. Sorry, but watch a game today vs 10yrs ago and it sucks on average. Too many cynical strategies and crap rules. It sucks and the public know it

I think more so the media keeps slamming it. Sitting at the game last night, heaps of people in the area whinge about how bad the referee's are (especially when I thought they were pretty spot on all night).

You don't have that sort or criticism at AFL games.

Massive ticket sales overnight for Broncos game. Just booked some.

PAX: 38,183

That's more like it for a Sunday afternoon game, supporters should come in force to show 9/NRL that Friday Night Broncos should be heavily reduced if a big Sunday crowd show ups the usual Friday Broncos crowd. It be better for everyone.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
That's more like it for a Sunday afternoon game, supporters should come in force to show 9/NRL that Friday Night Broncos should be heavily reduced if a big Sunday crowd show ups the usual Friday Broncos crowd. It be better for everyone.

38,140**. One interesting thing to note is that in the level 5 tier of the eastern stand (stadium members) had about 10% more people at the Union last night, than Liverpool on Friday. Will be interesting to see how many members show tonight.

Also, a few pissweak showers are looming. Lets hope they rack off, will be enough to deter some should they hit.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml#skip

Looking like a good crowd for the Broncos today, but there is a bit of rain about. For anyone watching the Easts/Townsville game on Nine right now there is a decent sprinkle of rain at Coorparoo. Switching over to Fox doesn't reveal a terribly large crowd building at Allianz.

Just catching up on the past couple of days and I read...

Watch the soccer, dickhead. Throw a flare at a kid, turn your back and bounce on the spot, or just f**k off home because the weather is too nice.

Thanks for that, Twitter darling Rebel Wilson. Your insults seem somewhat blunted when you don't have a couple of your buddies around to help you pick on one other poster. f**k off to a soccer forum and talk about hair products or rimjobs, your days of acting like a tough guy around here are over.

Is this kind of bullying and abuse really necessary? Telling people to f*** off repeatedly isn't called for. Maybe the mods could take a look at this. A bit of wit and give and take is one thing, but this kind of unhinged bullying and abuse doesn't make for nice reading. Stick to crowds, Kabukiman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.