What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
To say Storm's crowds have not grown from Olympic park to AAMI is just plain wrong. They have grown from an average of 7-8,000 to 13-14,000 now at AAMI.

Added, NRL attracts just as good TV ratings on GEM in Melbourne as AFL does in Brisbane and Sydney for non home games, despite only being consistantly live on TV in the southern market for only 2-3 years compared to AFL since the 1970's in the northern markets (well, QLD atleast).

elbusto

Coach
Disagree.
Plenty of Storm news in the main paper (Herald Sun), on SEN sports radio and Cam Smith is on AFL 360 at least once a month. Origin even gets a mention on the AFL footy show.
There is no anti RL agenda in Melbourne.
Yet the Storm just cannot break through to that next level of support. Crowds have been the same since day 1. I really thought Storm would fill AAMI most weeks. We are always strong have three of the greatest players of all time yet hardly anyone without a QLD/NZ/NSW/UK background is interested.
Melbourne Victory occupy the same space in the Melbourne sporting landscape as Swans do in Sydney. When they are winning, everyone jumps aboard. You can argue that Victory are one of the biggest sporting clubs in Melbourne, the same way you can argue for the Swans in Sydney. Until either of these clubs spend a few year down the bottom of the ladder, we will not know their true level of support.
Unlike almost every club in almost every sporting comp, Storm crowds hardly fluctuate. Perhaps it is the fact that there is virtually no junior RL in Melbourne. I have never seen or heard of a junior match being played - I always thought my son (now 13) would be a fantastic league player but he has had no RL exposure beside Storm - there is not a RL club within 10kms of us and we live pretty much in the geographical centre of Melbourne. Yet there is reasonable junior participation in RU and most private schools have a RU team. Lot of Melbournians used to follow the Wallabies but that has dropped right off in line with the Rebels crowds - over supply?
Not sure what the answer is for Storm.
More school programs & free tickets?
Cheaper finals tickets?
Origin @ MCG every year or two?
I was referring to the age not the herald sun. Dont disagree with much of what you have said though

Brutus

Referee
The Herald Sun coverage is still nothing compared to what AFL gets in the Telegraph or Courier Mail. You get bigger write ups of some non-swans AFL games in the Telegraph than you do for many NRL games. Have a look next weekend.

And then compare the Fairfax publication in Melb to the one in Sydney. AFL has always got a great run in the SMH. NRL doesn't exist in the AGE.

And as for no negative RL talk in the Victorian media -- bwwwahhhhaaaa!!!

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
its obvious the AFL pays radio and print in sydney to feature at least one story a day...

you often hear the radio news on 2gb, 2ue ... go something like this..

Greece Economic Crisis,
Joe Hockey crisis,
ISIS killing,
State of Origin Result,
NRL games news
Cricket ashes score,
and finally
Nick Reiwold has a minor calf strain.

It is so obvious they tack any afl story on to the end of the news to meet a quote, they are being paid for

user_nat

Coach
Looks like a slightly better turn out from the Titans away support this time. Unlike last year, the away bay has more than 5 people.

Diesel

Referee
For a local derby it's piss poor. Titans are really a poor supported team and even the Brisbane crowd won't turn up for this game

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Suncorp lucky to crack 25k, looks worse than Penrith IMO.

There is more in level 5 south tonight than against Penrith. Also 325 was empty v Penrith, its full tonight. I think its similar to the Manly and Newcastle crowd. I despise the stadium members, there is none here tonight.

insert.pause

First Grade
10,182 @ ANZ ( looked lucky to be half that)

Sydney just keeps topping itself. Was it a bit damp? Were the Swans playing? Mid strength beer?

Do people think that is acceptable for two traditional Sydney clubs? Despite tigers form, it's not good enough, and the NRL is going to have to tell clubs to start justifying their place in Sydney or ship em off to places that will appreciate them.

Roosters thinking about moving games to ANZ? you may get 500 people turn up.

Last edited:

chigurh

10,182 @ ANZ ( looked lucky to be half that)

Sydney just keeps topping itself. Was it a bit damp? Were the Swans playing? Mid strength beer?

Do people think that is acceptable for two traditional Sydney clubs? Despite tigers form, it's not good enough, and the NRL is going to have to tell clubs to start justifying their place in Sydney or ship em off to places that will appreciate them.

Roosters thinking about moving games to ANZ? you may get 500 people turn up.

It's atrocious yet not unexpected.

I can't remember the last time Sydney strung a few games together that surprised (in a positive way) crowd wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.