What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But do you realise that your solution to this is killing something successful?

And for what? So some dumb TV commentators and Tabloid hacks annoy you?

It's like killing the Melbourne Cup because people in the UK don't watch it.

As for taking it interstate, I 100% support this.

Show me anywhere that I have said origin is worthless and should be killed? At the moment we have a massive focus on origin as the pinnacle of the world of RL to the detriment of both growing the kangaroo brand nationally and internationally and club games. What any sane person is saying, and you totally seem to be ignoring is that origin is important but should not be to the detriment of other areas of the game that Ultimately could and probably would be more important to RL nationally and internationally.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Perth is right about the problem, wrong about the solution.

Origin should not be prioritized over club footy. But it should not be behind international footy either.

Club > Origin > internationals

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just sat through the the Tigers game, flicking channels saw the dockers game. Anyone who thinks nrl doesn't have a serious crowd problem which is creating a perception and image problem suggest you do the same. Honestly ask which sport looks like the one that is vibrant and strong.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh not the best Saturday night entertainment but still more entertaining than the Dockers game! How they have got 40k in Subiaco with this stop start nonsense is beyond me!

Canard

Immortal
Just sat through the the Tigers game, flicking channels saw the dockers game. Anyone who thinks nrl doesn't have a serious crowd problem which is creating a perception and image problem suggest you do the same. Honestly ask which sport looks like the one that is vibrant and strong.

That's a different argument to "Let's kill Origin because I don't like it"

It's the event that AFL is truly jealous of, and would love to have, and you'd rather chop it.

Good news is that people like you and ECT represent a bizarre niche that will be ignored

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Painful wasn't it

Lasted 75 minutes only due to a lack of anything else decent on.

standard will continue to slump mid season while origin plunders teams. If JT, morgan and scott were there tonight i think it would have been a cricket score.

Burns

First Grade
That's a different argument to "Let's kill Origin because I don't like it"

It's the event that AFL is truly jealous of, and would love to have, and you'd rather chop it.

Good news is that people like you and ECT represent a bizarre niche that will be ignored

Its a truly pyrrhic victory. Look at the bigger picture that Perth and ECT are getting at.

Canard

Immortal
Its a truly pyrrhic victory. Look at the bigger picture that Perth and ECT are getting at.

Anything successful should be killed?

International League can be just big also.

Why does it always have to be either or with the extremists.

We should strive to improve all facets of the game, not let jealousy and self interest dictate

Last edited:

fanatique

Juniors

standard will continue to slump mid season while origin plunders teams. If JT, morgan and scott were there tonight i think it would have been a cricket score.

Do you blame people for turning their backs on the NRL during Origin season?

The game itself tells them the NRL is simple a feeder system for a trio of representative games on the east coast held in mid season and gutting the NRL teams of talent and interest. Who wants to watch scratch teams in a feeder league in front of tiny die hard attendances with no athmosphere?

However though the whole thing makes a mockery of the club competition we have to keep it because apparently the ALF who can attract 50,000 to watch grass grow are jealous. It's a farce.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Canberra's crowd looks like its tracking SOOOO well. Like 9000 - 12,000. One team. One City. In the 8. Away team well supported.

9-12k. Well done guys, such great numbers for our game, not at first glance though, no. 9-12k is a little bit poo hey, but then we need to think to ourselves that its like 45k plus in Brisbane or 475,000 in New York.

Oh my god Canberra, you are the greatest. I love you, thanks for instilling the pride into our game. I also really enjoy the palm trees at your airport.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Canberra's crowd looks like its tracking SOOOO well. Like 9000 - 12,000. One team. One City. In the 8. Away team well supported.

9-12k. Well done guys, such great numbers for our game, not at first glance though, no. 9-12k is a little bit poo hey, but then we need to think to ourselves that its like 45k plus in Brisbane or 475,000 in New York.

Oh my god Canberra, you are the greatest. I love you, thanks for instilling the pride into our game. I also really enjoy the palm trees at your airport.

:sarcasm:
Jesus buddy ... dont start crying

There there
It'll be alright:?

:lol::lol:

FabulousDave's presence is the equivalent of selling out the entire Milton Road end of Suncorp.

Edit: the crowd will small enough to spot FD in. What are you going to be wearing?

guyver78

Juniors

You beat me by 5 mins. After 70 I just went out to dinner. Games like these should be $10 for Adults and Kids under 16 get in for free.

guyver78

Juniors
Well for a start the season structure is long past its use by date and imo there is a feeling of indifference to the regular season as it stands im part due to too many games.

with the early tv negotiation i think the absolute priority should be a reduction to 22 games with 18 teams and stand alone origin played over 3 straight weeks. This makes each game more valuable and removes the ludicrous intereuption to 8-9 weeks of footy by origin. If the tv networks need more rounds have a split round or 2 to make it 23 or 24 weeks of nrl footy.

The next problem that needs tackled is ticketing, stadia and the schedule. The pre sale offers are pretty good especially the family passes but in general i dont think the offers are being communicated effecrively and they should apply to every game not just select sydney matches. A general reduction in prices subsidised by the next broadcast deal is a must as well as continued emphasis on memberships.

Stadia is tough one because the upgrades are out of the nrls hands for the most part. The balance of large stadia v suburban grounds is almost right at the moment but i would like to see the dragons play more games at WIN and the roosters in a hawthorn style arrangement with gosford.

Roosters Man brings up all very valid and good points.

Reducing the schedule to 20/22 games must be a priority. As it stands League has become a bit like basketball or baseball in the US. We play sooo many games during the season that besides the few blockbusters the games themselves usually have very little meaning (especially around Origin time). Take a look at the NFL, only 16 games and every game is a blockbuster or close to Origin standard. Seriously, did anybody really care about the Tigers playing the Cowboys last night with no Origin stars?

All our top Darren Lockyer/Greg Inglis type athletes are just about done by the time they're 30. How tired and wasted does Greg Inglis look at the moment? and he's still expected to go through Origin, Season, Semi finals and I'm not sure if the Tests are on at the end of the year again.

Also get teams like the Dragons, Tigers and Eels away from the Suburban grounds and get them into ANZ and SFS. I dont buy this "fans dont like ANZ stadium" crap and It's proven time and time again, you make a game cheap enough and fans will attend. In the case of the Dragons as an example, only play 1 game a year at WIN and Kograh against a team like the Warriors or Storm. That 1 game will once again have a lot of meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.